Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MARCH MADNESS! Who you got in your bracket?

Today and tomorrow might as well be a national holiday because of that annual illness known as MARCH MADNESS! Man, talk about a productivity nightmare! Games all day, office pools, and this year for the first time, the tournament games streaming online (featuring a video viewer complete with a "boss button" that pops up a bogus spreadsheet screen!).

So, anyway guys, I know you've got your brackets filled out (and untold sums wagered), who U got in the Final Four?

Oakland Region: UCLA - and not just because I'm an alum! For once, my high spot on the tourney bracket for my Bruins does not look like wishful thinking. The potential trip up game would be if they face Marquette in the second round. I see them easily handling Gonzaga in the Sweet 16, and pulling one out against Kansas in the regional final. UCLA's definitely got weaknesses and a lot of youth, with freshmen and sophs getting the vast majority of the minutes. But, they've arrived on the scene a year ahead of schedule and are about as hot as any team in the tournament. Their strengths in the guard play and defense are usually key to a deep run in the tournament. If guards Farmar and Afflalo don't go pro, this will be a preseason top 5 team next year.

Minneapolis Region: Florida - This is a tough region to project because I easily see any of the four top seeds making it to the Final Four. I went back and forth between Florida and Villanova. Originally thought about going with Boston College, but considering the trouble they're having right now with 13-seed Pacific, I'm glad I didn't. Ohio State is a solid team, but I think Florida's streakiness has gone back on the upswing, and that might be enough to carry them into the Final Four.

Atlanta Region: Texas - I see them beating Duke in the Elite 8 in a rematch of their early season meeting, which Duke won handily. Duke will get to the Elite 8 because of their high seeding, but Texas matches up with them well and unlike in the ACC, Duke will not have the hometown refs to bail them out if the game gets tight down the stretch. The typical flops and pushoffs that Duke gets away with in ACC play don't work on a neutral floor with less biased officiating, that's a big reason why Coach K is only 3-for-10 in the Final Four despite having superior talent most of the time.

Washington Region: Connecticut - they are the trendy pick, and they are EVERYBODY'S pick. But, they're the favorite for a reason -- they're really good! UConn has the fewest weaknesses and probably the most balanced and complete team among the tourney participants. I see them matching up with North Carolina in an epic regional final. Carolina's another young team that has arrived a year ahead of schedule. If they don't make the Final Four this year, they'll be loaded for a Final Four run next year.

NCAA Champion: UConn
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm side-steppin' this question and pickin' my favorite darkhorse to come out of each region.

Oakland - as much as I want to pick Alabama (who held off Marquette for a first round win and likely matchup w/UCLA), I'm goin' wit Arkansas. Ark. was hot at the end of the regular season. They closed strong with 5 straight against Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Miss St and Georgia. They played Ga again in the first round of the SEC Tournament and won. They lost in the 2nd round to Florida 74-71. But, their first round NCAA game is against Bucknell - a team that will also be competing for the darkhorse crown.

Minneapolis - geez, 2 darkhorses have already stepped up in Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Montana! Wisc.-Mil. is my pick. They'll get by Florida as the Gators' youth and inexperience catches up with them, upset Ohio St., then knock off one of the weakest #1's (toss-up between Villanova and Memphis) in what will essentially be a home game for Wisc.-Mil.

Atlanta - N.C. State's European players will be raining 3's all tournament long (at least until they make the Final Four.)

Washington D.C. - My sentimental pick would be UAB. But they have a tough first round game against Kentucky and you can't count out KY in a tournament setting. Besides, the winner gets UConn who, as Wooch noted, is the favorite. That leaves my highest-seeded darkhorse Mich St. Their 2nd round matchup with North Carolina will be a classic and then the Spartans will clobber Tenn. assuming the overrated Vols get past Wichita St.

How's that for a Final Four - Arkansas, Wisc.-Mil., N.C. State and Mich St.?

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Yeah, I'm side-steppin' this question and pickin' my favorite darkhorse to come out of each region.

Oakland - as much as I want to pick Alabama (who held off Marquette for a first round win and likely matchup w/UCLA), I'm goin' wit Arkansas. Ark. was hot at the end of the regular season. They closed strong with 5 straight against Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Miss St and Georgia. They played Ga again in the first round of the SEC Tournament and won. They lost in the 2nd round to Florida 74-71. But, their first round NCAA game is against Bucknell - a team that will also be competing for the darkhorse crown.

Minneapolis - geez, 2 darkhorses have already stepped up in Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Montana! Wisc.-Mil. is my pick. They'll get by Florida as the Gators' youth and inexperience catches up with them, upset Ohio St., then knock off one of the weakest #1's (toss-up between Villanova and Memphis) in what will essentially be a home game for Wisc.-Mil.

Atlanta - N.C. State's European players will be raining 3's all tournament long (at least until they make the Final Four.)

Washington D.C. - My sentimental pick would be UAB. But they have a tough first round game against Kentucky and you can't count out KY in a tournament setting. Besides, the winner gets UConn who, as Wooch noted, is the favorite. That leaves my highest-seeded darkhorse Mich St. Their 2nd round matchup with North Carolina will be a classic and then the Spartans will clobber Tenn. assuming the overrated Vols get past Wichita St.

How's that for a Final Four - Arkansas, Wisc.-Mil., N.C. State and Mich St.?
    Hope you got a few bucks riding on that bracket, because if it plays out, that's a big-time payoff! My Bruins got an early scare from the Bruins (from Belmont), but suffocated them defensively and cruised to a 34-point blowout. Gonzaga's teetering right now, and we've already had two upsets plus two near upsets that went down to the wire (the Tenn-Winthrop and BC-UOP games). We're barely into the evening games and so many brackets have already been turned upside down, that's why I love the NCAA tourney!

In the Oakland bracket, UCLA's got the Tide on Saturday. I do have a soft spot for 'Bama because of Coach Gottfried, who was a Bruin assistant on the '95 championship team (Washington coach Lorenzo Romar was another assistant coach on that team, had either Gottfried or Romar stayed at UCLA, that would have spared the Bruin program that seven-year rollercoaster ride under Steve Lavin), and I like the matchup with 'Bama a lot more than Marquette, so thank you! But, this is the tournament and I don't want the Bruins to let up for a second against the Tide! I don't know enough about Arkansas, but they seem to field tough and battle-hardened teams ever year.

That Minneapolis region is totally up in the air, so I can see Wisc.-Milwaukee going a ways.

But, I don't see NC State getting out of the first round because Cal presents a huge matchup problem with their size and wingspan inside. Cal gave UCLA the biggest problems of any opponent this year. NC State's only chance might be from outside, because I don't think they'll be able to stop Leon Powe, who's the most dominant player in Pac-10 and led the conference in scoring and rebounding. Cal's main downfall is their inconsistency, which led to some ugly losses to teams they should have beaten handily. But, if they play their game, they can beat anyone.

Michigan State's a great darkhorse, and I rode them all the way to victory in my office pool last year. I don't have them going as far this year, which might be detrimental to my gambling winnings!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

But, I don't see NC State getting out of the first round because Cal presents a huge matchup problem with their size and wingspan inside. Cal gave UCLA the biggest problems of any opponent this year. NC State's only chance might be from outside, because I don't think they'll be able to stop Leon Powe, who's the most dominant player in Pac-10 and led the conference in scoring and rebounding. Cal's main downfall is their inconsistency, which led to some ugly losses to teams they should have beaten handily. But, if they play their game, they can beat anyone.
    None of the lower seeds in the Atlanta Regional really jumped out at me. (Until A&M spanked Syracuse.) I think Duke, Texas and LSU are the most likely teams to make it out. After that, 5-10 looked pretty even to me and 12-16 I didn't give much of a chance. (Until A&M spanked Syracuse!)

I don't know much about Cal. If they have a tough perimeter defense then they should handle NC State, but I've seen a couple games where NC State's perimeter shooters couldn't miss.

That Oakland Regional seems wide open as well. I think a border war between Memphis and Arkansas would be interesting. I think the fact that a storied program like UCLA being back is interesting. Just look who's advanced so far and who could be left in the top half after tomorrow. From what I've read nobody wants to play Kansas or UCLA right now. Memphis is ripe for a picking. Morrison's not going to let the Zags lose and Arkansas' recent chemistry is probably the best kept secret in that bracket. The Tide's not deep at all only playing 7, but if they stay out of foul trouble and their point guard Ronald Steele (who can take over a game, btw) can get a couple minutes rest in the first half, they can compete with anybody. Indiana's playing for their coach. I don't know how far emotion can carry them.

(I keep saying every year that I'm going to a first or second round site or to a regional. Atlanta or even the first round at Jacksonville wouldn't have been too far.)

So far, it looks like the selection committee did a good job.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Can't believe the Aggies beat Syracuse. That makes me want to puke. Of course, my Sooners were the first team to lose this year.

I'm banking on Gonzaga and Uconn, Villanova and Duke. These teams all look too strong to me.

I can see Gonazaga and UConn in the final, but who knows. UConn should win it all.

Seems that #12 seed always beats the #5 in this tourney.

[B]What are you talking about????????????[B]

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Wink America's favorite sport...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    [B]What are you talking about????????????[B]

Bernd

SOCCER!

Thanks Dean,

No wonder I didn't know, got no interest in sport.

Peace

Bernd

Actually, Bernd, I was pulling your European leg. Among sports fans over here, you're automatically stereotyped as a soccer hooligan.

The big sporting event going on now is the college basketball national championship single-elimination tournament that starts with 65 teams and ends with the national championship game. It starts with a play-in game to complete the 64 team bracket. The bracket is divided into 4 regions. The four surviving teams from each region come to one site for the two "Final Four" games and the winners play for the championship. It is rather exciting. It's affectionately called March Madness.

I wondered what that pulling sensation down below was (and no Gmichael it was not the snorkel). USA and soccer doesn't somehow go.
    Sounds like some razzamatazz scream filled days.
    Thanks for the crash course in March Madness. Enjoy it.

Peace

Bernd

Actually, Bernd, I was pulling your European leg. Among sports fans over here, you're automatically stereotyped as a soccer hooligan.

The big sporting event going on now is the college basketball national championship single-elimination tournament that starts with 65 teams and ends with the national championship game. It starts with a play-in game to complete the 64 team bracket. The bracket is divided into 4 regions. The four surviving teams from each region come to one site for the two "Final Four" games and the winners play for the championship. It is rather exciting. It's affectionately called March Madness.
    Not to mention, it's the biggest gambling event in the U.S. outside of the Super Bowl. IMO, it's the biggest spectacle in American sports because no other event elicits rooting interest from every corner of the country like this one does. And it never fails to deliver compelling games, thrilling finishes (two overtime games and two buzzer-beaters on the first day alone), huge upsets, and epic matchups.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

None of the lower seeds in the Atlanta Regional really jumped out at me. (Until A&M spanked Syracuse.) I think Duke, Texas and LSU are the most likely teams to make it out. After that, 5-10 looked pretty even to me and 12-16 I didn't give much of a chance. (Until A&M spanked Syracuse!)

I don't know much about Cal. If they have a tough perimeter defense then they should handle NC State, but I've seen a couple games where NC State's perimeter shooters couldn't miss.

That Oakland Regional seems wide open as well. I think a border war between Memphis and Arkansas would be interesting. I think the fact that a storied program like UCLA being back is interesting. Just look who's advanced so far and who could be left in the top half after tomorrow. From what I've read nobody wants to play Kansas or UCLA right now. Memphis is ripe for a picking. Morrison's not going to let the Zags lose and Arkansas' recent chemistry is probably the best kept secret in that bracket. The Tide's not deep at all only playing 7, but if they stay out of foul trouble and their point guard Ronald Steele (who can take over a game, btw) can get a couple minutes rest in the first half, they can compete with anybody. Indiana's playing for their coach. I don't know how far emotion can carry them.

(I keep saying every year that I'm going to a first or second round site or to a regional. Atlanta or even the first round at Jacksonville wouldn't have been too far.)

So far, it looks like the selection committee did a good job.
    What I've been reading the Tide's main problem has been with their depth. In the past, I know that Gottfried's teams liked to run an up-tempo offense, and those seem to be the teams that UCLA plays well against. If the game score stays in the 60s, then UCLA usually wins, and that's the huge transformation that Coach Howland has brought to the Bruins. They love to play defense and throw opposing teams out of their offensive rhythm.

Cal does have weaknesses in their perimeter defense, so it will be interesting to see how it plays with NC State. Cal's inside game can give most teams problems, and I think the rest of the country's going to know who Leon Powe is before the tournament's finished.

I had Syracuse losing in the first round -- their seeding was too high. Before they pulled off all those close wins in the Big East tournament, I thought they were a bubble team. Considering that A&M was also a bubble team, that matchup was more even than the seedings would indicate. Plus, Coach Boeheim has a history of periodically laying an egg in the early rounds.

The Atlanta and Oakland regions are definitely the most intriguing ones to watch. Definitely try to make it out to an NCAA tournament site sometime. It's really something, and quite different from other sporting events. For one thing, you have multiple games on site, plus it's got a minimum of promotions and commercial gimmicks (i.e. no half-court shooting contests, no fanzone bands, no advertisements blazing thru every timeout, no loud music blaring thru the PA, all billboards in the arena are covered up, only "NCAA partners" are permitted to sell concession items, etc.). I went to the NCAA regionals a few years ago when they were in San Jose, and the teams participating were UCLA, Arizona, Missouri, and Oklahoma. Typical of Coach Lavin's teams, UCLA got to the regionals by upsetting #1-seeded Cincinnati, and then lost an uninspired game to lower seeded Missouri. OU went to the Final Four out of the San Jose region that year.

A ticket tip if you're interested in the first/second round or the regionals: the tickets are often sold in blocks for all sessions. This means that many of the fans from schools that get eliminated in the first round or Sweet 16 games are looking to dump their tickets to the second round or regional final games, since they have to be purchased together.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Can't believe the Aggies beat Syracuse. That makes me want to puke. Of course, my Sooners were the first team to lose this year.

I'm banking on Gonzaga and Uconn, Villanova and Duke. These teams all look too strong to me.

I can see Gonazaga and UConn in the final, but who knows. UConn should win it all.

Seems that #12 seed always beats the #5 in this tourney.
    At least one 5-12 upset happens almost every year. This is primarily because that game typically matches up a third or fourth place finisher from a major conference with a champion from a lower tier conference. In Syracuse's case, they did not deserve the 5-seed, and obviously ran into an A&M team that wanted it more and was a more even matchup than the seeding would indicate.

It seems that the Zags are a popular Final Four pick out of the Oakland region, but I don't think they'll get that far. They rely way too much on Morrison and Batista, don't defend well, and their guard play's not their strongsuit. I see the Zags a lot out here because there are three WCC teams in the Bay Area, and they've barely pulled out tight games against the likes of Santa Clara, USF, and St. Marys. Among their potential opponents in the Oakland region, Indiana, UCLA, Memphis, Kansas, or Pittsburgh can all give the Zags matchup problems.

But, in the end I agree with you about UConn. They seem to be the class of this tournament and are the most well rounded team.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

A 3 goes down! A 3 goes down! So, Northwestern St. is in La., huh? I think La. has more directional schools than any other state. A 12 & a 14 move on in Atlanta.

Bucknell the bracket buster strikes again. But they aren't being overlooked this year. I shoulda never picked an 8/9 team to come out of a regional. I'll pick the wrong team 100% of the time and they won't get out of the 1st round.

Not to mention, it's the biggest gambling event in the U.S. outside of the Super Bowl. IMO, it's the biggest spectacle in American sports because no other event elicits rooting interest from every corner of the country like this one does. And it never fails to deliver compelling games, thrilling finishes (two overtime games and two buzzer-beaters on the first day alone), huge upsets, and epic matchups.
    March Madness definitely provides the most compelling games. I was a grad student when Wisconsin got into the final four a few years ago and man, I can't adequately describe the excitement and adreneline, and I'm not even a big sports fan.

My goodness! Just about half the brackets in America nearly got broken! Albany over UConn by double digits with about ten minutes to go?! That would have been the most unthinkable upset possible! But, alas UConn pulled it together just in time to pull out the victory. We're talking about the most complete team in the tournament, the odds-on favorite, almost getting shocked by a 16-seed making its FIRST EVER appearance in the NCAA tournament!

BTW, CBS' March Madness On Demand is SO COOL! It basically lets you watch all of the games outside of the local broadcast area, and only requires a broadband connection! I got broadband service just a few weeks ago, and got the wireless network up and running. So, here I am watching the game on CBS, while toggling through the other three games on my laptop! How great is that!!!! Sure, the picture quality would have been better had I ordered the NCAA tournament package through Directv, but the online streaming feeds are free

That Texas-Penn game so far is about as ugly as expected anytime a top seed goes up against an Ivy League school (yes, those visions of UCLA-Princeton from 96 are still fresh) 3-3 tie with 15 minutes to go. And Bradley's playing Kansas very tough. Of course, all these games are still early, but knowing that the unexpected and unthinkable happen regularly in the NCAA tournament is part of its appeal.

Disappointed in that Cal game. NC State did just enough from outside to pull it out, while they focused on shutting down Leon Powe. A very close game, but in the end, Cal just didn't get enough contributions from their supporting cast to win.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Geez, what is happening?! I don't think I've ever seen EVERY score THIS close around half time! All of the games right now are either tied or within one point right before the half. We got Texas, North Carolina, and Kansas locked in some very tight battles right now, and I get a feeling that one of them could very well get knocked out before the night's over. Something tells me that Texas stands the biggest chance of the unthinkable happening because they got an Ivy League school on pace to hold them to under 20 points for the half. Yeek!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Kansas GONE! There goes half of my Oakland bracket!

And those down to the wire finishes with Carolina and Kentucky ... the evening games were across the board nailbiters. As usual, a stellar first round with great games, shockers, and thrilling finishes. And it all starts over again tomorrow!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

There goes half my darkhorse final four after the first round, but this will be the tournament of the underdog. There are 9 teams seeded 9th through 14th moving on. Get a good night's sleep ladies.

Barely pulling myself back together after another day of unbelievable nailbiters ...

The UCLA-Bama game was a tight, stomach-knotting grinder of a game! Games like this are NOT good for my sanity! Bama matched up better with the Bruins that I expected, and I was very impressed with how hard they fought all the way to the end of the game. They had a decisive advantage inside, and managed to throw the Bruin offense off rhythm by zoning them the entire game. UCLA's depth and Arron Afflalo's clutch play at both ends proved decisive in the outcome. I thought my Bruins had worn down the Tide towards the end of the game, but they kept Bama in the game by coughing up their worst foul shooting of the year. And the officiating got really ticky tack in the second half, after they pretty much let the boys play in the first half. Some crucial missed calls kept the score closer than it should have been, because UCLA had Bama shut down on the offensive end. Man, but it's now on to the Sweet 16 for a long-anticipated showdown with Gonzaga!

Tennessee's now the highest seed to exit the tournament. I thought they were overseeded and got caught in a close game.

The Washington-Illinois game had extreme momentum shifts, and culminated in a heartstopping finish. Brandon Roy proved his worth as the Pac-10 Player of the Year, by making the clutch plays down the stretch run.

And that LSU game, what an ending!

My bracket looks pretty good right now. We'll see where it at the end of the day tomorrow. Unfortunately, I''m doing volunteer work tomorrow and won't be able to watch the games, but knowing how the tournament typically plays out, surprises will crop up tomorrow as well!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Barely pulling myself back together after another day of unbelievable nailbiters ...

The UCLA-Bama game was a tight, stomach-knotting grinder of a game! Games like this are NOT good for my sanity! Bama matched up better with the Bruins that I expected, and I was very impressed with how hard they fought all the way to the end of the game. They had a decisive advantage inside, and managed to throw the Bruin offense off rhythm by zoning them the entire game. UCLA's depth and Arron Afflalo's clutch play at both ends proved decisive in the outcome. I thought my Bruins had worn down the Tide towards the end of the game, but they kept Bama in the game by coughing up their worst foul shooting of the year. And the officiating got really ticky tack in the second half, after they pretty much let the boys play in the first half. Some crucial missed calls kept the score closer than it should have been, because UCLA had Bama shut down on the offensive end. Man, but it's now on to the Sweet 16 for a long-anticipated showdown with Gonzaga!
    I agree with you on the missed calls and bad calls by the refs in the second half, but I thought they went both ways and because of that they probably didn't affect the outcome. UCLA could have given themselves some breathing room by making foul shots. But Afflalo was the MVP for the Bruins based on his 3 with about 30 secs. left and his forcing Steele to take a step-back 3 at the end. Steele didn't seem to have the legs to get up on that one. That's probably why he couldn't beat Afflalo to the basket either (well - that and admittedly good defense too.) I was proud that Bama didn't fade completely even though they had one of their patented dry spells in the second half. I was impressed by UCLA's physical and mental toughness. It's hard not to think of West coast teams as finesse teams. Survive and advance is the name of the game.

Cinderella watch:

Bradley (13) and George Mason (11) are the only "bottom half" teams left. Witchita St. and Georgetown are both 7s. That's not bad though. We have 1/4 of the Sweet 16 that shouldn't have made it this far.

Okay Wooch...

Big game Thursday...my bracket is on the line...It's going to be tough watching the Zags take down your alma matter but my new BBQ is counting on it. Nothing personal.

(as an aside...I wonder if there's a down side to my betting practices leading me to cheering for a historically Catholic school? )

OK, so here's what happened. It seems that the quaint Sweet 16 get-together of the basketball gods in basketball heaven got a little out of hand as LSU disposed of Duke. For the late games, a few of the rowdier attendees decided to descend to earth and intefere with the affairs of man. (You know what they say about the nectar of the gods.) This didn't sit too well with the commissioners of basketball heaven.

See, UCLA was supposed to foul Batista and send him to the line leaving the Bruins a desperation shot with precious few seconds that would miss badly. And, of course, Texas and West Virginia were supposed to go into overtime. Because of the improbable, highly unlikely finishes of both games, the commissioners are certain that this handful of rogue basketball gods changed the pre-destined course of basketball events on earth forever.

Well...do you have a better explanation?

Darn those Bruins...

First they school my Sooners in football...then they rip Gonzaga out of my brackets costing me a BBQ. Drat and double drat!
    A pox on thee and thy houses!!!
    Worst part is, I can't cheer for Memphis so I'm stuck rooting for UCLA now.

But I'm saved by LSU (guess everyone really liked Duke).

Go, uhh...Wichita St.

Ah! NOW I get it! So THIS is why they call it March Madness!

My goodness, that was about as insane a collection of NCAA tourney action as I've ever seen crammed into one evening. 3 out of the 4 games going down to the wire, with 2 of them destined to become recurring staples on the NCAA highlight reels for years to come. That Duke-LSU game was a tight nailbiter all the way to the end. In the end, the game exposed what happens when Duke has to contend with a big and physical team, and has to do it without ACC officiating to bail them out. Redick also picked a less than ideal time to have his worst shooting game of the year. I had Duke losing to Texas in the Elite 8 because I didn't think that LSU was going to play a disciplined enough game to pull out a close game against Duke. As I stands, LSU is a scary team athletically, and if they play a smart game against Texas on Saturday, I can see them pulling the upset.

That Texas-West Virginia game was another taut nailbiter, with that unbelievable bang-bang finish that featured a pair of 3-pointers in the last 4 seconds. I thought that Texas had the game won, then I thought West Virginia had sent the game into overtime, then Texas pulls out the buzzer beater. Wow! I was at a sports bar that had both games on at once, and it was really something to see how close that game got in the second half.

Of course, the night cap featured the most insane finish for UCLA in the NCAAs since Tyus Edney's iconic end-to-end drive and finish at the buzzer in the Bruins' '95 title run. My gawd what a win for my Bruins!

But, watching that game was a frustrating exercise for the most part! Gonzaga had the game won. They had broken down the UCLA defense with great passing, and first using Morrison as a decoy and then as the featured scorer after UCLA adjusted. And Gonzaga on defense took advantage of UCLA's offensive achilles heel by playing zone the whole game. In the end though, I think that UCLA's defense finally wore down the Zags, and once they cranked up the defensive intensity down the stretch, Gonzaga was already playing not to lose. Gonzaga should have won the game because they outplayed UCLA for 37 minutes. But, the Bruins never gave up and kept battling, while Gonzaga gave them just enough chances down the stretch.

Deano, I think you're onto something with this basketball gods thing! No telling what they've got in store tonight. If everything is playing out according to some contrarian alternate reality, I would expect that all the games tonite will be blowouts with the higher seeds winning all of them. Somehow though, the NCAA tournament just isn't wired that way!

Kex, sorry to hear about you losing out on your new BBQ, but if you're ever out here in Cali, I'll throw whatever you want on the grill! 'k? I should be able to afford a few steaks and filets if my bracket holds up. Also, there's plenty of room left on the Bruin bandwagon! In actuality, they're not supposed to be a potentially great team until next year (frosh and sophs take up 80% of the minutes), so anything we get at this point is gravy. Even so, I think my Bruins have got more than a fighting chance to take out Memphis and move onto the Final Four, because they already played Memphis earlier in the season with an injury-depleted team and a lot of freshmen who were not nearly as seasoned as they are now.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Kex, sorry to hear about you losing out on your new BBQ, but if you're ever out here in Cali, I'll throw whatever you want on the grill! 'k? I should be able to afford a few steaks and filets if my bracket holds up. Also, there's plenty of room left on the Bruin bandwagon! In actuality, they're not supposed to be a potentially great team until next year (frosh and sophs take up 80% of the minutes), so anything we get at this point is gravy. Even so, I think my Bruins have got more than a fighting chance to take out Memphis and move onto the Final Four, because they already played Memphis earlier in the season with an injury-depleted team and a lot of freshmen who were not nearly as seasoned as they are now.
    You're all heart, Wooch. (and a much more gracious winner than I would be in your place )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information