• 02-21-2011, 01:39 PM
    Smokey
    Map of world alcohol consumption
    The biggest boozers are found in Europe and in the former Soviet states. Moldovans are the most bibulous, getting through 18.2 litres each, nearly 2 litres more than the Czechs in second place. Moonshine or 'unrecorded' home-brewed liquor accounts for almost 30% of the world's drinking.

World Health Organisation estimates that alcohol results in 2.5m deaths a year, with Russia and its former satellite states accounting for one in five male deaths caused by drink.

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/4512/alc2.gif

http://www.economist.com/blogs/daily...ol_consumption
  • 02-21-2011, 02:33 PM
    GMichael
    Why does it seem like the further you get from the equator, the more people drink? Do you think it’s to keep warm?
  • 02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Why does it seem like the further you get from the equator, the more people drink? Do you think it’s to keep warm?

I doubt it. Nothing can keep you warm against that Siberian wind :D

I imagine cold can be a factor in increased alocohol consumption due to being snowed in, isolated or just too cold outside. But why not Canada :)
  • 02-22-2011, 05:00 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey
    The biggest boozers are found in Europe and in the former Soviet states. Moldovans are the most bibulous, getting through 18.2 litres each, nearly 2 litres more than the Czechs in second place. Moonshine or 'unrecorded' home-brewed liquor accounts for almost 30% of the world's drinking.

World Health Organisation estimates that alcohol results in 2.5m deaths a year, with Russia and its former satellite states accounting for one in five male deaths caused by drink.

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/4512/alc2.gif

http://www.economist.com/blogs/daily...ol_consumption

Not many surprises. E.g. it's not surprising the comsumption is very low in Muslim countries. I haven't read the article yet but it's thus a little surprising the Nigeria has a highish consumption, but perhaps the Christian population is higher than the Muslim, which would explain it. Highish consumption in Kazakstan is similarly a bit surprising.

Low consumption is also clearly linked to low per capita incomes.
  • 02-22-2011, 04:54 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    Highish consumption in Kazakstan is similarly a bit surprising.

I think they got addicted to Russian Vodka while they were part of Soviet Union :)

It might also worth noting that low consumption in muslin countries is probably mostly due to alcohol being banned in these countries. If it wasn't banned, they probably drink as much as rest of world-where kazakstan being a good example.
  • 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

I think they got addicted to Russian Vodka while they were part of Soviet Union :)

It might also worth noting that low consumption in muslin countries is probably mostly due to alcohol being banned in these countries. If it wasn't banned, they probably drink as much as rest of world-where kazakstan being a good example.

Yeah, given the Khat epidemic in that part of the world it's a bit much to assume them to be completely abstinent from all mind altering drugs...
  • 02-22-2011, 08:37 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Yeah, given the Khat epidemic in that part of the world it's a bit much to assume them to be completely abstinent from all mind altering drugs...

Not at all. They probably smoke more opium than anybody else in the world.
  • 02-23-2011, 05:01 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

That's probably the best explanation

Quote:

I'm not sure that booz is banned in all those Muslim countries, (obviously in some like Saudi Arabia). I'm not sure about Indonesia for example -- don't forget the religion has a crushing grip on many people world-wide and they will comply without offical regulation.

I'm mildly surprised that Italy is lower the France.
  • 02-23-2011, 05:19 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

Now how many deaths are related to smoking pot? Nowhere near that number but because Alcohol is a Legal Killer, it's OK same as cigarettes.

Pretty stupid society, isn't it?