Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

When good computers turn bad!

I don't understand this. The article says that the woman has not been formally charged. Charged with what? What could they charge her with? Virtual Murder? Does she then get tried in virtual court with a virtual judge and jury? Can she go to virtual prison?

Angry online divorcee kills virtual husband in cyber revenge

By The Associated Press

TOKYO - Japanese police say a 43-year-old piano teacher's sudden divorce from her online husband in a virtual game world made her so angry that she logged on and killed his digital persona.

She used his identification and password to log onto the popular interactive game "Maple Story" to carry out the virtual murder in mid-May.

A police official in the northern city of Sapporo on Thursday quoted the woman as saying that she was suddenly divorced, without a word of warning and that made her angry.

The official said the woman had not plotted any revenge in the real world.

She has not yet been formally charged, but if convicted could face a prison term of up to five years or a fine up to $5,000.

Players in "Maple Story" raise and manipulate digital images called "avatars" that represent themselves, while engaging in relationships, social activities and fighting against monsters and other obstacles.

The woman used login information she got from the 33-year-old office worker when their characters were happily married, and killed the character.

The man complained to police when he discovered that his beloved online avatar was dead.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I don't understand this. The article says that the woman has not been formally charged. Charged with what? What could they charge her with? Virtual Murder? Does she then get tried in virtual court with a virtual judge and jury? Can she go to virtual prison?
    I'm going to guess that hacking into another persons account and destroying property, virtual or otherwise, is grounds for being charged in most tech-savvy countries these days.
    That's what I took out of it.
    I can see how some would think the article sorta reads like they're debating whether to charge her for murder. But the clue to me is the ridiculously low penalty if murder was the charge...I figured they were referring to the malicious act of account sabotage.

Aw I just came across that story and was about to post it.

Destroyed his account.....That's pretty funny. Kinda sounds like what my sis did to her boyfriends myspace page.

Thread Information