Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just the Blues

Just the Blues

Here's a place to vent, kvetch, b!tch, fuss, fume,carry on, hold forth, spit, hiss, p!ss, freak out, shout out, put out, kick a stool, burn a biscuit or do whatever, whenever, in a safe and realitively anonymous place, free of charge, hold the pickle.

So...as log as you're wunnerin'....

I'm feelin blue, y'all....Just blue....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Can I help?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    The economy got you down? Maybe this will help...

Thanks, guys!

Recently, I was given a report of my performance at a local facility where I worked with a preceptor. For nearly the entire time I was there, his comments to me were encouraging and hopeful. Yesterday, a professor indicated to me that my work was actually sub-par and I had a lot of scrambling to do.

Am I irked? Sheeet, yeah!

I have put a lot of my time and effort in these endeavors, and I have hit rough patches along the way, but this was about as low as it gets for me.

One of my critiques was that my mental processing seizes at times. The thinking gets fuzzy and I cannot move through the thoughts to articulate anything. You've seen this in misspellings and weird syntax every now and then.

My head has been so far up my keester, I have forgotten how to be present.

And now, I must go for a bit.

Sorry to vent, so, guys. I'm just a little tired, y'know?

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Thanks, guys!

Recently, I was given a report of my performance at a local facility where I worked with a preceptor. For nearly the entire time I was there, his comments to me were encouraging and hopeful. Yesterday, a professor indicated to me that my work was actually sub-par and I had a lot of scrambling to do.

Am I irked? Sheeet, yeah!
    As you should be. That's not fair. Either your preceptor and professor aren't on the same page...which you should not be penalized for, or your preceptor may have trouble giving constructive criticism which, also, is not your fault.

One of my critiques was that my mental processing seizes at times. The thinking gets fuzzy and I cannot move through the thoughts to articulate anything. You've seen this in misspellings and weird syntax every now and then.
    There isn't a person on the planet who doesn't have days like that. It's human nature. I would think that a teacher in your field would understand that.

My head has been so far up my keester, I have forgotten how to be present.
    Don't let the comments of one person get you down. Perhaps he/she was also having a bad day and let it out on you. Or perhaps it's valid criticism that you can take to heart and work on improving. Although your professor's opinions may be important at this point in your career, in the end what's important is how you treat your patients. It appears to me that you are a caring person who is dedicated to your career and your patients. If I were in a position of needing a nurse, that's what would matter.

Sorry to vent, so, guys. I'm just a little tired, y'know?
    Don't sweat it. We're here for you.

Wassup Auri, sorry to read the bad news. Hope things get better for you soon bro.

Suspended
    Let's drink some BEER!!!

Thanks again, folks....Sorry to be such a sap! First beers on me!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Don't apologize Auri...OffTopic is prolly a great area for a shout out. If I had any overwhelming issues I'd throw down and expect some competent replies from what I've seen on these hallowed pages.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

What's happenin' bruv is it going any better?

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Hey Auricauricle, konichiwa from Japan. If it helps, just know that people are thinking about you on the other side of the planet! My wife and I were at a beautiful place yesterday on the Sea of Japan in the northern Honshu prefecture of Aomori. We stayed at a resort called WeSPa near the sea rock called Mt. Tsubakiyama. There is a trail up to the top of Tsubakiyama and a beautiful small shrine there with a view overlooking the Sea of Japan. A bath house high on the cliff overlooks Tsubakiyama and the sea.

My wife rang the bell three times at the shrine, said prayers for you and we collected three rocks from the beach at the base of Mt. Tsubakiyama. We will send you the rocks when we return to the US.

To reach this resort we took the Shinkansen (bullet train) from Sendai to Akita. We then transferred to a small three car tourist train called the Shirakami for the very scenic ride up the coast. This train stopped at a number of small towns along the way. At one city which is famous for their great basketball teams (I can't remember the name) we had a real treat. All the passengers had to get off the train and onto the platform where a basket and foul line were set up. All the passengers had to, one at a time, shoot a basket. Those that made the basket were given a cute postcard made from the bark of local trees plus a city brochure and were then allowed to get back on the train. Those that missed has to get in line again and keep shooting until finally the last person made their basket. It was great fun and all the passengers had a big laugh.

Remember when times are tough to avoid depression; lots of exercise, relaxation, take a break from work and laugh as much as you can.

Take care,
    RR6

PS --- I wanted to post a few photos for you but don't know how to in one post. Forgive me if I take a little room here. First one is of an old gaijin (old foreigner) who is about to climb to the top of Mt. Tsubakiyama, visit the shrine and see the magnificant view (he damn near blew his dacron aorta support)(old gaijin appears to be 3 months pregnant.....in January he appeared to be 6 months pregnant...go figure?).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just the Blues-japan-apr-may-2009-vga-008.jpg  
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 05-09-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Old gaijin's mother-in-law, wife and brother-in-law's dog. Sunset at Mt. Tsubakiyama.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just the Blues-japan-apr-may-2009-vga-2-001.jpg  

Japanese bath house on cliff overlooking Mt. Tsubakiyama.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just the Blues-japan-apr-may-2009-vga-005.jpg  

Make the basket or you don't get back on the train! (two conductors and referee/ball girl)

Sorry I took up so much room. However, it seemed to me that the patient needed some strong medicine here and as my cardiologist says, "we'll put on the full court press."

HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just the Blues-japan-apr-may-2009-vga-006.jpg  

Very nice RR6 Thanks for sharing.
    Just curious, which God was your wife praying to?

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    My wife rang the bell three times at the shrine, said prayers for you and we collected three rocks from the beach at the base of Mt. Tsubakiyama. We will send you the rocks when we return to the US.
    That's beautiful!

RR6, it's nice to see a picture of you and your wife (who is also very beautiful!). At your height, I hope that you did yourself proud shooting hoops. I would hate to be the poor person who is the last to make the shot and holds up the whole train!

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    which God was your wife praying to?
    She was praying to all of the Gods at the same time. It is much more productive that way.

Actually, Auricauricle had ask me if we could get him a rock during our trip to Japan, perhaps when we visited a shrine. He collects rocks from around the world (what a great idea). The Japanese traditionally offer a short prayer when they visit a shrine. They ring a large bell three times and then clap their hands three times. This gets the attention of the Gods. Then they pray for their intentions.

Now that we know he is down in the dumps a little we stopped this morning at the local neighborhood shrine here by my mother-in-law's condo and prayed some more for him. We also talked to the shrine's resident feline, Peru. She said she would ask all the visitors to the shrine for one week to pray for Auricauricle.

The purpose of my posts is not simply to post my photos but to raise his spirits. Hope you are doing OK, Auricauricle.

RR6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just the Blues-japan-apr-may-2009-vga-3-002.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I hope that you did yourself proud shooting hoops. I would hate to be the poor person who is the last to make the shot and holds up the whole train!
    FA, just between you and me OK, it took me three attemps to make my basket. The setup was a small key and a very close foul line. That threw my famous soft touch off a little. When I finally zeroed in my range, I shot a beautiful swish shot to the cheers of the passengers. My wife was equally fooled and also took three shots. The final passenger made it with about 5 shots. It was really fun and just amazing for a train trip. The Japanese are so restrained in ways but when they let loose and have fun it can be delightful.

Below is a shot of Peru, one of about 4 cats who hang out at the shrine. All the locals feed them.

Now back to boosting Auricauricle's spirits. he spent some time in Japan so I thought this might bring back some good memories to soothe the soul.

RR6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just the Blues-japan-apr-may-2009-vga-3-001.jpg  

Glad to see that you're in good health RR6 (well, you look it anyway!) and able to be active. How long are you in Japan for?

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    AA-Cheer up! I worked for a company for several years that would do kind of a good cop/bad cop routine when it came to rating your performance. Reviews would start all positive and then in the last paragraph it would turn 360 and you felt like you were lucky to even have a job. When I finally moved on to bigger and better things I had a going away lunch/exit interview with my Supervisor. The subject came up about the performance reviews and he came right out and said that it was a common practice at the company to do it that way because it kept people from asking for raises or thinking that you were even qualified to find similar work at another company. So who knows maybe they were just running a little number on you. As long as you stay focused and do the work to the best of your ability it will all be good.

RR- Great photos to what looks and sounds like a great trip! Did you look for any vintage Sansui gear for me out there in the Japanese thrift stores.........

Hello, Everbody: Thank you for your help, these past days. The semester ended not a week ago, and the wife and I have been enjoying some R&R on the back porch with friends and wine. Last night, we caught Gordon Lightfoot--a beautifully mellow concert that made us a little wistful and happy to be alive.

As RR6 said, I like people to grab a rock on their travels. It tells me much more about the trip than any postcard can and is imubed with indescribable things that we can talk about later. Thank, you, RR6.

And thank you to the rest of you. I've done some serious soul-searching, lately. You would think that a schmo like me going into the work I am going into would have his act together better, but even in these years, I still find myself at the beginning of the trail sometimes....Thanks for sharing the load, lately. I hope I can do the same, should you require it.

P.S.: If anybody wants a rock from this clime, let me know in a PM with your addy or somewhere where it can be sent. I will make sure it gets to you, complete and intact with a good spirit within.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Thanks AA, I'm feeling good, walk 45 minutes every day and got the doctors approval for travel. We return home to Seattle tomorrow.

Hey Kidd, things are interesting in Japan. Almost no thrift shops here. People throw TV's, and electronics gear away when it get 5-10 old. Many smart foreigners get stuff left for the garbage truck on the side of the street, I'm not kidding. The average family never buys anything second hand or at thrift type stores, even though a few do exist. This is a letter from 2006, not sure how this came out. Apparently there were some but not widespread as in the US and Canuckland

http://www.petitiononline.com/norikok/petition.html

I did stop at a high end shop just a block away from my mother-in-law's condo today which was fun. They had McIntosh, Goldmund, JBL(K2), B&W, Luxman, Tannoy (Glenair & Westminster), Marantz, Quad, Viola, Sonus Faber, Dali, Mark Levinson, Pioneer Kuro/Elite just to mention a few plus lots of lower end gear. Sort of an interesting mix of brands. They are big on JBL and McIntosh in Japan. They had one super high end speaker from the US called Boze, Booze, Bose or something like that, they sounded just awful! (). Some of these products might be a little beyond your budget, even 100 years from now!

But back to the important stuff. Let's hope Auricauricle (Huh...?) continues to feel better!

RR6

Oh BTW, I almost forgot that the Japanese teens have a really quirky and sometimes bizarre sense of what is cool and the latest crazy fads can be very weird. You see some of this there in small groups. I had the camera on my knee but they probably would have said yes if I asked to take their photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just the Blues-japan-apr-may-2009-mall-5.jpg  
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 05-11-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Yipes.....

Sorry to hear of your troubles. But remember dude, you're DA DUDE!!! Ya can't let the mole men git you down. Although they are a persistent lot.

Here's shot from the front of the Ranger School Alumni house. Next year we'll go git us some panfish.

Da Worfster

Stay cool my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    Thanks Oh BTW, I almost forgot that the Japanese teens have a really quirky and sometimes bizarre sense of what is cool and the latest crazy fads can be very weird. You see some of this there in small groups. I had the camera on my knee but they probably would have said yes if I asked to take their photo.
    YIKES! So much for the phrase Pretty in Pink. I think that she decimated that one. Doesn't she know that all those holes in her face are PERMANENT?!

This is a very good example of why I chose to not be someone's parent.

I like Worf's picture...very calming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information