Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

I just had a young woman

who knocked on my door to complain about my music. On a Friday night at 10:10 PM she was upset because she heard my stereo. I was playing some Mozart and not Godsmack "Live and Inspired".

When you live in an apartment you hear some noise from the other apartments. I think it is quiet especially when there are no college students. Welcome to the real world and I am not kissing your ass. I am quiet and keep to myself but when you knock on my door and complain about Mozart for god's sake best of luck.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    While on a walk the other night with my college age son we passed by some condo's. My son looked at them and said that was one of the reason's he wants to own his own house is so he can play his music anytime and at any volume.......

At this point I will take whatever I can get if it keeps him motivated to continue to do well in school.......
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Forum Regular
    Apartment/condo dwellers might consider OB's as they don't pressurize the room like box speakers. Consequently the sound doesn't pass through walls as easily.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    If it doesn't pressurize the room it's not worth listening to. Very little does an adequate job on that front - including many a boxed speakers. It's a reason Ray Seda and I bypass a lot of speakers that some people like a lot but we simply could not live with them.

For late night listening a good headphone system is inexpensive to attain.

Also JohnMichael - I hate to say it but for many people Mozart for them is like rap music to people who hate rap music.

I am surprised there would be that much bleed through with Wolfgang as it's not exactly the most bass heavy of music (generally).

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post

Also JohnMichael - I hate to say it but for many people Mozart for them is like rap music to people who hate rap music.

I am surprised there would be that much bleed through with Wolfgang as it's not exactly the most bass heavy of music (generally).

Yes I know people who like classical music that are not fans of Mozart. I agree it is not bass heavy music and should not have been shaking the rafters. I think I have a Princess living below me judging by how hard she slammed her door when she went in her apartment. I think she is used to men fussing over her and her daisy dukes.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    If it doesn't pressurize the room it's not worth listening to. Very little does an adequate job on that front - including many a boxed speakers. It's a reason Ray Seda and I bypass a lot of speakers that some people like a lot but we simply could not live with them.

For late night listening a good headphone system is inexpensive to attain.

I am going to hold my nose and agree with you on all that you have stated. I can't believe it, but I do.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

It's amazing the number of people who HATE classical music.

There was a women at work a few years ago who listen to a radio at her desk; (mostly Pop and light Rock). It wasn't loud but was quite but audible if you happened to be nearby. One weekend, working over time, I brought in a players and was quietly playing some Bach: she came over and chewed me out for playing that horrible music she couldn't stand. The hypocrisy bothered me too but I took most offence that anyone would hate Bach.

The public library downtown has a problem with seedy types hanging around, (smoking, spilling drinks, shouting, swearing, etc.), outside the entrance. They are copying the idea of playing classical to drive away loiterers but it isn't working very well in this instance.

JM, when I saw the title of this thread, I was very concerned for you. I thought you had taken a trip on the wild side and got busy with a woman. I was going to say you go boy, but now I want to say don't drop kick her.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    It's amazing the number of people who HATE classical music.

There was a women at work a few years ago who listen to a radio at her desk; (mostly Pop and light Rock). It wasn't loud but was quite but audible if you happened to be nearby. One weekend, working over time, I brought in a players and was quietly playing some Bach: she came over and chewed me out for playing that horrible music she couldn't stand. The hypocrisy bothered me too but I took most offence that anyone would hate Bach.

The public library downtown has a problem with seedy types hanging around, (smoking, spilling drinks, shouting, swearing, etc.), outside the entrance. They are copying the idea of playing classical to drive away loiterers but it isn't working very well in this instance.
    I am surprised as well. What surprises me more is the number of folks around here that don't listen to, or don't like classical. I am puzzled that a person can say they visit the concert hall for a concert, but cannot find anything they want to listen to in high rez.

I have to say this, for those who love classical music, SACD, Bluray, and high rez downloads have been a boon to us.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    JM, when I saw the title of this thread, I was very concerned for you. I thought you had taken a trip on the wild side and got busy with a woman. I was going to say you go boy, but now I want to say don't drop kick her.

I thought the way I titled it might create some humor. I do wish people had manners. If she had knocked on my door and said hi I am Mary your neighbor downstairs. I was wondering if you could turn your stereo down a little I am trying to ______. Instead I hear a pouty voice saying I can hear your stereo.

They also borrowed a plunger from the office and left it in the hallway instead of returning it and thanking them for it's use. After looking at it for a week I returned it. Nasty girls
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Nice title JM. I too thought that you took a walk on the wild side.

I am so glad that no one cares how loud I play my music or HT. It's nice to have a bear for my closest neighbor.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post

I am so glad that no one cares how loud I play my music or HT. It's nice to have a bear for my closest neighbor.

Not to worry I did not switch teams. Still a catcher for my team.

It was all so insane since I was playing Mozart and I do not play Mozart loud. Your neighbor is a bear and mine is a horse's ass.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Not to worry I did not switch teams. Still a catcher for my team.
    Ba da bing!

It was all so insane since I was playing Mozart and I do not play Mozart loud. Your neighbor is a bear and mine is a horse's ass.
    Maybe we should intruduce them to each other. Although, that might not be fair to Boo Boo. She doesn't come here for the hunting, does she?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar

Wink

I thought the way I titled it might create some humor.
    Yes, it did. I couldn't decide which one-liner to go with so I let it alone.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    I know, right? After that title the thread itself was a little anti-climactic

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    I know, right? After that title the thread itself was a little anti-climactic

Yes my life is the anti-climax.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    That could get a guy all plugged up....

Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    While on a walk the other night with my college age son we passed by some condo's. My son looked at them and said that was one of the reason's he wants to own his own house is so he can play his music anytime and at any volume.......

At this point I will take whatever I can get if it keeps him motivated to continue to do well in school.......
    My God that was funny. Ah fathers and the wisdom we must impart.

Worf

Arrrgh...

Talk about the proverbial "bait and switch"! Yeah, I lived the the projects as a kid, dorm as a student, barracks as a soldier and apartment dweller for about 18 years. I will NEVER go back to sharing walls and floors/ceilings ever. I can play what I want, when I want as LOUD as I want (within reason). If I am making too much noise if a neighbor comes to me as an adult and asks me to turn something down I will. If they come to me like a jerk or an ass I won't.

If kid's have parties I'll give em till 1L30 or 2:00 even on a Friday or Saturday night. After that I go over and ask, after that I call the Po Po, I've NEVER had to call the Po Po. I think the sight of me in my bathrobe at 2:00 with the scowl from hell on my face is enough to do the trick.

Worf

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I called the cops on a neighbour once (I don't have the intimidating presence that Worfster has ). We lived in a townhouse and the house next door to us was owned by an "older" couple (we were freshly married). They were spending a year in England and while there, lent the house to their college-age daughter and a couple of her friends. The kids were jerks and inconsiderate at the best of times. They had a few parties which, not so long out of college ourselves, we put up with. But then one night they had one ringdinger of a partaaaay. The music was so loud that we could make out the lyrics to the songs. At 2:00am I finally called the police. The music quieted down after that. We found out the next day that it was their farewell party as the parents were coming home and the kids were moving out (that's when WE partied!).

I figure we made their party. Party stories only get better when you can brag that it got so out of hand that the cops had to be called in.

In our current house, We have a neighbour who spends A LOT of time in his yard and plays the radio quite loud. Most of the time he listens to classic rock, which we don't mind. He has a corner house which faces a different direction than ours, so his backyard butts up against the side of our driveway and front of our house. If we have our living room, or bedroom windows open (both rooms face the front of the house) we can hear the radio. I don't mind during the day, but on weekends he can be outside quite late. I haven't yet asked him to turn it down because we're trying to sleep, but I've come close a few nights. I will be very polite about it if it ever comes down to it.

FA have you ever been bothered by someone partying to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Mozart is not a composer I play loudly.

A funny story from the rental office about the queens. Their doorbell rang and they could not find where to buzz-in the guest. They called the office in a panic. They were instructed to walk out their door and open the security door. They live in the apartment closest to the security door. I hope the effort did not tax them.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

2013 is going to be a good year. The princess and her roommate will be moving. Since they could hear me walk and my stereo life was just unbearable. They complained so much to the office that they wore out their welcome. She complained to her dad and he is going to pay off the lease so she can move. I do not know if they will move to another apartment in the complex or not. They were told they could not have the same floorplan since they would have the same problems. The apartments are soundproofed well side to side but not so well top to bottom. I hope they find their dream apartment where they never hear neighbors. Of course I feel sorry for their next neighbors because living with the constant complaints is not fun. The thought of two young college students that are so self important that they interfere with long term residents. So Goodbye Girls.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

That's so weird. It's usually the long-term residents who have to complain about the college students.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    That's so weird. It's usually the long-term residents who have to complain about the college students.
    Mine is a topsy turvy world!
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Mine is a topsy turvy world!
    LOL! That made me laugh...for real.

Thread Information