Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Interests and Hobbies other than music and HT

So what else are you guys into besides speakers and amps?

Although music and my system take up most of my spare time and money,I also really enjoy my own business and go hunting and enjoy my dogs. I also do a bit of photography and write some poetry from time to time.
    And cooking and eating and good red wine oh man not enough hours in the day.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Harley's and Billiards.
    Got my first mini-bike at 9 years old and have been upgrading ever sinse. The Harley I have now may be the end on the line though. Made a deal with wifey to sell it for more audio upgrades. I was actually suppossed to sell it to pay for the Yammie & Infinity's.
    Been playing pool sinse I was 7. This is the one hobby that has brought more money in than I've spent on it. That includes the $5000 hand made, one of a kind pool stick I own. Plus a thousand or two more on the other 12 sticks, 4 cases, assorted helper gaggets, books, videos, table etc. I've won & placed in many local tournaments. Even won two free trips to Vegas to compete in larger tournies. Never made it past the first 3 or 4 rounds out there though. Whole 'nuther level of play there. Was even up 4-0 against Earl the Pearl in a race to 5 one day. Thought I had him. But then he ran 5 racks in a row while I watched with my finger up my......
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I enjoy travel photography. Favorite city is Quebec City. Art and collecting art. Collectible glass and crystal. Reading Florian's rants.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    cycling,Numismatists
    Last edited by shokhead; 01-13-2006 at 05:56 AM.
    Look & Listen

I think I've jacked enough threads for everyone to know I'm into aquariums. Freshwater to be specific. I got 3 135 gal. tanks, a 30 gal. and a 10 gal. Freshwater is easy to maintain and not as expensive as saltwater, but the down side is freshwater fish are not as exotic and colorful.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I think I've jacked enough threads for everyone to know I'm into aquariums. Freshwater to be specific. I got 3 135 gal. tanks, a 30 gal. and a 10 gal. Freshwater is easy to maintain and not as expensive as saltwater, but the down side is freshwater fish are not as exotic and colorful.
    Have you tried spraypaint?
    Or maybe a little pixie snot mixed in with their food.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Or maybe a little pixie snot mixed in with their food.
    Tried it. The fish just claim that my system sounds better and the HD picture is more crisp.

Tried it. The fish just claim that my system sounds better and the HD picture is more crisp.
    At least you got something out of it, besides a dead cat and a cottonwood tree.

JSE
    My main interest is photography. I have been doing fine art photography for years along with some portrait work. I have done a few shows here in Houston and I am considering a offer to teach. Although I doubt I will take it. The last show is one of the main reasons I have been so scarce of late along with work. I am working on getting a website up an running in the next few months so maybe soon I can get some feedback from you guys when it's up.

JSE
    Last edited by JSE; 01-12-2006 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    My main interest is photography. I have been doing fine art photograph for years along with some portrait work. I have done a few shows here in Houston and I am considering a offer to teach. Although I doubt I will take it. The last show is one of the main reasons I have been so scarce of late along with work. I am working on getting a website site up an running in the next few months so maybe soon I can get some feedback from you guys when it's up.

JSE
    Let us know when it's up. Er, uh, nevermind.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    My other hobbie is recording audio...ah..er...eh...ahh damn, that my job. I march in a drum and bugle corps as the colorguard captain. I bowl a little bit, and enjoy beating little kids up and taking their money. I collect gadgets and fun things to watch and relax to. As an ex New Yorker, I love museums, art, I play keyboards and write tons of music. I also love to score original plays. Traveling is also a fun hobby, and something my job allows me to do regularly.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

JSE
    Let us know when it's up. Er, uh, nevermind.

LOL!

Well, I guess it's related to music still, but the other major hobby that absorbs my free time is dance. I started with ballroom about 19 years ago, and gradually narrowed it down to swing and salsa. Plus, I got into the rave scene about 16 years ago (no dance lessons generally needed there! ). Before I met my wife, I would typically go on dance outings 5-6 nights a week, and had groups of people that I would periodically hook up with in the swing, salsa, and rave scenes. The real fun was when swing was still more of an underground movement that was largely populated by aging punk rockers who created a whole retro scene. It was in that maelstrom where I met my wife.

Nowadays, I don't get out quite as often as before (though I have resolved to make more time for my dance fix) -- for whatever reason, I can't quite handle staying out past 1am on work nights as well as I used to! I do some volunteer work and social outings with my alumni group, and for the last 12 years have served on a university committee screening and interviewing academic scholarship candidates. Even though my wife is a lot more into it, our little "problem child" rescue dog has also gotten us both into learning a lot about dog behavior and training. And as an urban planner, I'm also into exploring new towns, getting to know the people and places.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Beer

I collect pint glasses and related beerware; probably at least 50 pieces, most of which are boxed up at the moment due to my current living situation. I also have a crapload of beer labels that I will soon turn into poster-type collages and I belong to a beer of the month club. But as an intellectual/academic I have more books than pint glasses or CDs or movies combined, so I do a lot of reading and such. I like to think.

GMichael: we should play pool some time. I started playing around age 12 and have a couple cues, albeit not high end. Haven't played in the last six months I estimate, but one of my favorite activites to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    GMichael: we should play pool some time. I started playing around age 12 and have a couple cues, albeit not high end. Haven't played in the last six months I estimate, but one of my favorite activites to be sure.
    Cool, I love to play. If you want I can recomend good books and videos to help you get better. Are you in a league or play in tournaments yet?

cam
    Golf, there is nothing better then teeing off just after sunrise with the birds chirping. I am truely in my happy place when I'm out on the course. Also I like playing guitar, Some of my favourites I like to play is stuff from Randy Rhoads-Ozzy days, Metallica, and of course some ACDC.

So what else are you guys into besides speakers and amps?
    Working ,working .Dont have time for hobby on the side.Im out of the house 60hrs a week ,sleep 5 hrs a day .

Cool, I love to play. If you want I can recomend good books and videos to help you get better. Are you in a league or play in tournaments yet?
    While I've thought about it, I've never joined any league or tournament. But I have made plenty a bar patron upset.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    While I've thought about it, I've never joined any league or tournament. But I have made plenty a bar patron upset.
    Hahaha There's something about bar players that make them think they are the best in the world. Some are good, but even the ones who arn't, think they are. Did you play for money? Drinks?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    My main interest is photography. I have been doing fine art photography for years along with some portrait work. I have done a few shows here in Houston and I am considering a offer to teach. Although I doubt I will take it. The last show is one of the main reasons I have been so scarce of late along with work. I am working on getting a website up an running in the next few months so maybe soon I can get some feedback from you guys when it's up.

JSE
    I will be very interested in seeing your photographs. If you would PM me because I might miss the post. I do not spend as much time as I used to and I miss a lot.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Kam

JSE
    same as jm, defn let me know when the site is up. am an avid amateur photographer (just falling in love with the bronica etrsi) and love looking at other's photographs.
    /create

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Into? In no apparent order...

...guitar, bass, keyboards, harmonica and kalimba...semi-serious amateur recordist...Sketching and painting, a bit of sculpture...wildlife photography...rough and finish carpentry...furniture design, construction and upholstery...HO scale model RR...history buff, particularly ACW and have visited many battle sites...knife collecting...knife making...hiking and four-wheeling (no stump jumpin') abiding by the "Leave No Trace" and "Tread Lightly" precepts...museums...food...dining out...cooking, the spicier the better...despite how much I may say otherwise: my job...home improvement/maintenance (I actually enjoy most of it, except plumbing)...breadmaking...my workshop and its contents...reading...classic movies...my Jeep...my dog...and while it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway): my wife...

jimHJJ(...pretty much it, I'd guess...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Isnt anyone into computers? I need advice on a good antivirus as i just got DSL.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Isnt anyone into computers? I need advice on a good antivirus as i just got DSL.
    Norton and Mcafee are very popular. Most DSL providers, provide free antivirus software. I'm using Norton antivirus 2005

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information