Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

An interesting drive home yesterday.

Holy crap! I was driving home from work yesterday, taking some back roads to avoid traffic and as I stopped at a stop sign I saw a girl running towards me being chased by a huge German Sheppard. I’m guessing 100 pounds at least. The girl looked like she was probably around high school age and wasn’t much bigger than the dog.

She ran up to my car and looked terrified, in a total panic. The dog was jumping and barking and chasing her. She was trying to put my car between herself and the dog. As I was about to unlock the doors and tell her to get in, the door of the car behind me swung open and she ran into that car.

The dog continued to jump at the car for a minute and then ran off across the street where he started barking at another poor, unsuspecting woman. That woman had the good sense to not react and just continue walking without looking at the dog. The dog did not attack her as I feared that he might. He lost interest in her and started to chase cars. Holy fuck that dog was fast! As soon as the dog moved on the woman started to run home.

In the meantime, I pulled away from the stop sign and over to the curb to get out my cell phone to call the police about the dog. The car that the girl got into pulled up next to me. She rolled down her window and the driver of the car said that he thought the dog lived in the house that I was parked in front of because he often walks by and hears a big dog barking. I told him that I was not about to get out of my car and go knock on their door, but that I was calling the police. I checked with the girl to make sure that she was okay…jumping into a stranger’s car. But she was fine (although visibly shaken) and it seemed like the two knew each other. She thanked me for my concern and they drove off.

I called the police to report the dog, they said that they would send someone to look into it and that I didn’t have to stick around. By that time I had lost track of the dog’s whereabouts anyhow. I couldn’t see him and could no longer even hear him barking. But man it was scary. I thought for sure that girl was going to get mauled. I’m sure that she did too. If she wasn’t afraid of dogs before, I’ll bet that she is now. I love dogs and that dog’s size and behavior scared the crap out of me.

Dog gone it!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

They have always told me to stop running if a dog is chasing you and just stand still. Dogs love to chase and if you run, that make you a target for chasing.

But I imagine if a 100 pounds German Sheppard chased me, I be running too

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    They have always told me to stop running if a dog is chasing you and just stand still. Dogs love to chase and if you run, that make you a target for chasing.

But I imagine if a 100 pounds German Sheppard chased me, I be running too
    You're right, dogs love to chase.

Since I can't outrun a dog, I'd just stand there and take the first opportunity to walk away if he/she didn't calm down.. Either way, he's going to catch me. Chances are that the dog is just playing, but you never know. Showing fear is the worse thing you can do, but can't be helped in some cases. I've seen the same behavior with people.

It's really easy to say that you should stay calm, but if this dog had charged at me the way I watched him do to other people, there is no way that I could have stayed calm. I wouldn't have run. But I sure as hell would not have been calm.

After watching the dog from the safety of my car I suspect that the dog was just excited to be out and was enjoying his freedom. But at first glance, I thought that girl was a goner. Although you're right...if he wanted to catch her, he would have.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I would not run from a dog. Easier to get stitches than recover from a heart attack. My body is not designed for running. Just hope I have some of my dog's treats in my pocket.

It's a dog eat dog world and I am wearing Milkbone underwear.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    It's really easy to say that you should stay calm, but if this dog had charged at me the way I watched him do to other people, there is no way that I could have stayed calm. I wouldn't have run. But I sure as hell would not have been calm.

After watching the dog from the safety of my car I suspect that the dog was just excited to be out and was enjoying his freedom. But at first glance, I thought that girl was a goner. Although you're right...if he wanted to catch her, he would have.
    You're right, it's easier said than done, keeping calm, that is.

I was out west camping and I had two very big dogs running across a field at me and the person I was with, they were barking. We just froze in place and waited for the dogs to get to us. I didn't know what to expect so I just expected the best (fingers crossed). When they were about 20 feet from us, a door opened on a trailer that was across the field and the dogs owner leaned out calling their names. The dogs immediately turned and went back. The situation was averted, but to say that I was without fear would be a lie. It was dark which didn't help.

There have been dogs that have gone on a rampage biting everyone they could, so you never know what to expect.

I have been bitten a few times in my life, but it has always been the small ankle biters that got me. The worst biting I got was from my step fathers cocker spanial. It was a very mean dog. I got bit 4 times before I even knew what had happened. He also bit my sister in the face.

That's the one thing that makes me nervous about dogs. All animals are unpredictable but dogs (unlike cats or smaller beasts) have the ability to do real damage. When I was a kid, I was bitten by a friend of my Mom's dog. I'd played with this dog many, many times. One day we were sitting in her kitchen and the dog just came up and bit my hand. I ended up at the hospital for a tetanus shot. The dog didn't really hurt me, just drew a little blood, but it was very out of character. The owners took the dog to the vet (for his tetanus shot?) and discovered that he was ill. He probably bit because he just wasn't feeling well...but nobody knew that at the time.

I once had a ferret who bit someone. She was the sweetest, kindest little animal and usually loved affection of any kind. I was never nervous about people petting or holding her. But we were at the vet and she had just had a shot. A little girl came over to pet her and she lashed out and bit the kid. Then the ferret threw-up. I guess she wasn't feeling well from the shot and didn't want to be touched by a stranger. Luckily for me the girl and her parents were big animal people and fine with the whole episode. The girl wasn't hurt and wasn't even phased by being bitten and the parents understood. I'd also kept the ferret's shots all up to date, so that was a good thing under the circumstances.

My wife once faced down two large German Shepards that charged out of their house at us as we passed on the sidewalk. She firmly stood her ground and shouted "Back ... Back", and they rather meekly retreated to their door.

But this story requires a little qualification. It wasn't my wife or I these dog to exception to, but rather our Golden who was with us; (poor dog, he was terriffied). Once my wife asserted human dominance, they backed off.

It's unsual for dogs to actually attack people in a public place. The excepton would be if they are scare by the person approaching which is most likely if they are on a leash or otherwise feel cornered. It's more likely to happen if you're actually on their territory. Of course there's the rare psychopathic dog.

That's the one thing that makes me nervous about dogs. All animals are unpredictable but dogs (unlike cats or smaller beasts) have the ability to do real damage. When I was a kid, I was bitten by a friend of my Mom's dog. I'd played with this dog many, many times. One day we were sitting in her kitchen and the dog just came up and bit my hand. I ended up at the hospital for a tetanus shot. The dog didn't really hurt me, just drew a little blood, but it was very out of character. The owners took the dog to the vet (for his tetanus shot?) and discovered that he was ill. He probably bit because he just wasn't feeling well...but nobody knew that at the time.

I once had a ferret who bit someone. She was the sweetest, kindest little animal and usually loved affection of any kind. I was never nervous about people petting or holding her. But we were at the vet and she had just had a shot. A little girl came over to pet her and she lashed out and bit the kid. Then the ferret threw-up. I guess she wasn't feeling well from the shot and didn't want to be touched by a stranger. Luckily for me the girl and her parents were big animal people and fine with the whole episode. The girl wasn't hurt and wasn't even phased by being bitten and the parents understood. I'd also kept the ferret's shots all up to date, so that was a good thing under the circumstances.
    Dogs, et al., are much more likely to bite if they are feeling sick, in which case an approach might feel threatening with harm or torment. The bite reaction is much more defensive than offensive.

Kids sometimes approch animals in injudicious ways. Once a kid of 8-9 on the street asked if my dog was friendly -- which he certainly was -- I said 'Yes'. Instead of, e.g. reaching slowly and patting his head, the kid tickled his nose. My dog took offence and barked and growled; it was an approach neither the dog nor I had expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    She firmly stood her ground and shouted "Back ... Back", and they rather meekly retreated to their door.
    Once my wife asserted human dominance, they backed off.
    BACK... Feanor.... BACK! - wife asserted human dominance, Feanor backs off, golden cowards behind couch.

Sorry... it's the first thing that popped into my mind. I thought it was a rather funny mental picture.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenSurprenant View Post
    BACK... Feanor.... BACK! - wife asserted human dominance, Feanor backs off, golden cowards behind couch.

Sorry... it's the first thing that popped into my mind. I thought it was a rather funny mental picture.
    OK ...

My Experiences...

Working as I do in the woods with electric and gas transmission lines I often encounter dogs, wild and other wise. I used to carry mace but now I just use a big stick or a machete. If I believe the dog is domesticated I'll either stare it down or go back to the car. I never take my eyes off it, I never turn my back to it. I engage and bare my teeth sometimes I even growl. This generally lets the dog in question know I'm not to be trifiled with and I usually can extricate myself without having to resort to violence.

With the return of Coyotes and Wolves to upstate New York things have gotten a little trickier. My co-workers usually go armed. I don't I figure if I can back myself up to a tree and the machete's sharp I can hold off the Coyotes, wolves are another thing altogether. Sigh... My Mutual of Omaha moments.

Worf

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I live a county away from where the exotic animals were released by the owner before his suicide. The news was breaking as I was walking my dog. I felt like Dorothy with Toto as we began to chant lions, tigers and bears oh my.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

About 15 years ago, I was at a friend's door. They yelled for me to come in. When I opened their door, one of their two pit-bulls shot out the door and ran down the driveway. Feeling responsible, I ran after the dog. When I caught up to her, she had their neighbor cornered and was closing in on him. Not thinking, I ran up and grabbed her. She went to bite my arm and I started yelling at her, "WHAT THE H.LL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?" She let go and I walked her home by her collar without any more trouble. By then I was shaking like a leaf though.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I don't care what type of dog you encounter, fear makes you a target for sure. A unstable dog will surely attack a unstable human when they sense weakness. They are far less likely to attack when you stay calm and stand your ground, or just ignore the dog like the woman in FA post did.

When I have worked with aggressive dogs in the past, being calm and assertive has always served me well.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I prefer cats. Especially ones like Garfield.

If I had a dog - it would be a basset hound like the one Columbo owned. Something I can outrun.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    I prefer cats. Especially ones like Garfield.
    Then you'd love our Brandy. Bordering on 20 lbs, if ever there was a lasagna loving cat, he's your man.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails An interesting drive home yesterday.-p1010725.jpg  

Then you'd love our Brandy. Bordering on 20 lbs, if ever there was a lasagna loving cat, he's your man.
    Your cat is a man?!
    And he's 20 pounds?!
    That's a lot of... can I say it?....

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    That's a lot of... can I say it?....
    No. No you can't.

No. No you can't.
    Oh gosh. I never get to have any fun.

Thread Information