Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"If You Could Turn Back Time" What decision would you change?

New year, new opportunities, old life with older worries. If a Jinn came out of your pop bottle and offered you a chance to change ONE decision from your past, what would it be? This decision, if changed would alter the rest of your life following it, no George Baily Mulligans here, you break it, you keep it. What would YOU change?

Da Worfster

PS - if the thread lives I'll tell you mine later.

What I shouda done

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    New year, new opportunities, old life with older worries. If a Jinn came out of your pop bottle and offered you a chance to change ONE decision from your past, what would it be? This decision, if changed would alter the rest of your life following it, no George Baily Mulligans here, you break it, you keep it. What would YOU change?

Da Worfster

I should have studied architecture as was my original dream. That was really the only dream I ever had and I let it elude me.

Go for what you want and don't be intimidated by the challenge. To not try is to loose by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I should have studied architecture as was my original dream. That was really the only dream I ever had and I let it elude me.

Go for what you want and don't be intimidated by the challenge. To not try is to loose by default.

That's an interesting coincidence...If I could have a mulligan I would change the fact that I did study architecture...and subsequently became an architect.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    I would go back to every time I thought 'I have a great metabolism. I'll have another ...... please.". Now, I'm 37, and wishing I had the metabolism I always thought I would have.

Never been much of a dieter, but I will not go to a size 38 pant. So I'm now exercising more, and eating less. Apparently that's the ticket to losing weight. Dammit.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

It's a tough question. A good one, but tough. It's hard to say where the change one might make would take them. Maybe not far off from where you are now anyway. Don't we all suffer, at times, from the "grass is greener" syndrome? Or the ever popular "tomorrow", it's always going to be better tomorrow...
    Which is true, tomorrow brings a new day and new opportunites. It's the mindset of living for tomorrow that takes away from the here, the now, the today & the choices we make.

I think if I could go back (and I'm not going back that far... seeing as I'm not that advanced in yrs. yet)

I would have changed my mindset after my dad moved me across the country middle of junior year. I lost all interest in school. It ruined my GPA, which was pretty good previous to the move. I lived for years w/ my newfound "lack of interest" in just about anything that had to do w/ my education or track career. Both were pretty much ruined past the point of repair.
    So I would have tried harder, thought of the bigger picture and applied myself more. I started college, went for a couple years, but never finished. So I would finish college and hopefully would have found the confidence to do the things (I know now) I thrive at and love.

Maybe that would have given me a "head start" on the things I am involved with now. It's not too late, I may still make my mark in the industry I want to... I'll just be older than I would have liked.

Who knows, if I had stayed in high school & finished college, would I still have met my husband, gotten married & had my kids when I did? Who knows?! Maybe, maybe not! That's hard to say!

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    This is a great idea for a thread!

If I could change one thing, I think that I would have never stopped performing.

In my teens, I wanted to act. I took classes and I was in a few stage productions including a couple of musicals. But I hated the whole audition process, I didn't have the confidence, and so I gave it up. Somewhere along the way I developed some serious stage fright. I would love to start singing again but now I'm terrified to sing in front of people. So I sing at home, alone, wishing that I had the nerve to entertain a crowd. I would love to go into Seniors Homes and hospitals with my guitar and lead a sing-a-long for people...give them an hour of fun...but I'm just not able to do it anymore.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Gee I wish I had time to answer this completely but let me begin at wishing for a different bio dad.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended

Da Worfster

That text in bold went right over my head.

The most important decision I wish I could change is of a personal nature; not for public consumption, but to a lesser extent, I would've bought more Pink Floyd albums in the 60's, 70's & 80's.

I guess

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    That's an interesting coincidence...If I could have a mulligan I would change the fact that I did study architecture...and subsequently became an architect.
    There are various reasons that a career can turn out to be disappointing. I could thing of some for architecture, but I won't speculate.

I've worked as a systems analyst for the greater part of my working live, and it's a job I like relatively well. I suspect there are aspects that are significantly like archecture. I do a lot of analysis and some functional design. Unfortunately not nearly enough design; mostly I get to do crap work like system conversion and interfaces specifications.

Architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    There are various reasons that a career can turn out to be disappointing. I could thing of some for architecture, but I won't speculate.
    The architecture profession is gratifying in some obvious respects, such as opportunities to be creative and being able to see the tangible results of your efforts. It's also a profession that makes for a decent topic of conversation at dinner parties. But it's subject to the volatility of the economy and I suppose the downturns have worn me out.

With each downturn I see quality people lost, not just from the firm, but even from the profession. We and our competitors find ourselves with few experienced people to guide the youngsters, perhaps because the quality older architects who weren't lost to the profession were at least lost to the giant firms...the only firms that had enough work during the recessions. Continuity in the quality of of work is lost over and over again each time you lose people in whom you've invested years training. If you can't keep them, you're ultimately training people for your competition. What it amounts to isn't so much disappointment as tiredness of the economic challenge.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Great thread Worfster...

This decision, if changed would alter the rest of your life following it, no George Baily Mulligans here, you break it, you keep it. What would YOU change?
    ...and your parting caveat changes them rules a bit. I'll stick with the minor annoyances:
    Jennie-O, Time Warner AOL, Lilly's, and dating a wicken witch for a brief period.

Interestingly...or perhaps not...most of the major disappointments/f***ups in my life I wouldn't change. I usually have to get beat over the head for something to sink in.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    Given the emotional and financial costs in my life, I would have taken my vow to give up women in the late seventies, when I was only thinking about it, not in the early nineties, when I was driven to it.

Laz

How do we nurture our souls?
    By revering our own life.
    By reaching the best within ourselves.
    By taking chances and stretching our boundaries.
    By leaping into the unknown.
    By going places we’ve never been.
    By having faith and staring down our fears.
    By embracing our special uniqueness.
    By doing things for the fun of it.
    By appreciating each day, moment by moment.
    By learning to live it all, not only the joys and the triumphs but the pain and struggle.
    By giving more than we take.
    By making a difference.

Sometimes the best lessons learned are the ones we screwed up on the most; so if you think about life in that perspective, why would any of us change anything?

Just a thought...
    Don't you like it on the sly? Don't you like it till it hurts? Have I been on your mind? What's a voice without a song?

After working full time and going to school at night for years, I was just a few short months from finally graduating. I received a letter in the mail from R.I.T. They wanted to give me a full scholarship. At the time, I was sick of school and threw the letter away. I'd like to take that moment back.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Ahem...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    That text in bold went right over my head.

The most important decision I wish I could change is of a personal nature; not for public consumption, but to a lesser extent, I would've bought more Pink Floyd albums in the 60's, 70's & 80's.
    In "It's a Wonderful Life" Jimmy Stewart, aka George Bailey, get's his wish "a world without him" and see's how bad it would be. He then changes is mind. Welp, here you don't get to "switch back" if your choice turns out bad. You break it, you owns it.

Da Worfster

Hmm...

To answer my own question....

I guess I'da went Marine Corps instead of Army when I joined up. Just wishin' I suppose.

Da Worfster

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Ugh...I can't think of anything that wouldn't risk me losing something I value in the present.

There are a few former significant others I wish I would have treated differently or had never met at all, but who doesn't have that?

Sorry guys, I've been thinking hard on this one, but not betting Red is the best I can come up with.

I think this counts as one, doesn't it?

I would have applied myself more in school and gone to college right out of high school, most likely for accounting or law.

But, then again, I thought I knew it all already.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Ugh...I can't think of anything that wouldn't risk me losing something I value in the present.

There are a few former significant others I wish I would have treated differently or had never met at all, but who doesn't have that?

Sorry guys, I've been thinking hard on this one, but not betting Red is the best I can come up with.

I'm with Kex on this one. I'm not sure I would change anything. Why mess with the past when you can't control how altering it will affect you?

Afterall, I am alive as I typ............................................... ..............

Did JSE just get snuffed?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I would have stayed in school instead of wasting my time trying to be a freaking thug.

nightflier
    JSE, I seriously doubt Eric Cartman wouldn't miss an opportunity to change the past.

...I'm sure he'd want to forgo that whole "anal probe" episode.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I would have stayed in school instead of wasting my time trying to be a freaking thug.

HUH?

Are you telling me I made friends with a gang-banger??? SH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!T!

Good thing you live in La-La land and I live in Texas!!!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Hey Worf!!! I'da bought this 'stead o' one of them...

I woulda taken the Smartass pill and not the Wiseass pill....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information