• 01-03-2009, 01:47 PM
    Sugar Beats
    I think the kids killed my microwave oven...
    Does anyone know how I can tell for sure?

They were supposed to set the timer for 15 minutes to time a pizza while I was on my way home from an errand...

By the time I got home, they were frantically pushing all the buttons and saying something broke. I thought maybe I'd just push the reset to the outlet, but no go.

When I went over to check it out, it was hot. So I asked them if they had been running the timer or the microwave itself, (obviously it was the microwave & not the timer) but I asked them anyway. Opps.

So the thing is built into a space w/in my cabinetry, so I can barely get it out to take a look at it. Seems dead.

I'm not sure what to do. It's a GE profile spacesaver ll, I guess I'll just have to go get another one. I think they run around $250.00, that sucks. One more thing to pay for that I'd rather not! (I could spend that $ on rock band for the Wii instead!)

Since my kids are 12 1/2, 10 & 8, they all have cash in the bank. I'm half tempted to make them cough up some change to help pay for the new one. But haven't decided that yet.

I'm not sure it's worth calling a repair guy or not? Bummer!
  • 01-03-2009, 02:17 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugar Beats

They were supposed to set the timer for 15 minutes to time a pizza while I was on my way home from an errand...

By the time I got home, they were frantically pushing all the buttons and saying something broke. I thought maybe I'd just push the reset to the outlet, but no go.

When I went over to check it out, it was hot. So I asked them if they had been running the timer or the microwave itself, (obviously it was the microwave & not the timer) but I asked them anyway. Opps.

So the thing is built into a space w/in my cabinetry, so I can barely get it out to take a look at it. Seems dead.

I'm not sure what to do. It's a GE profile spacesaver ll, I guess I'll just have to go get another one. I think they run around $250.00, that sucks. One more thing to pay for that I'd rather not! (I could spend that $ on rock band for the Wii instead!)

Since my kids are 12 1/2, 10 & 8, they all have cash in the bank. I'm half tempted to make them cough up some change to help pay for the new one. But haven't decided that yet.

If it was hot it may have shut itself down to protect itself. I would try to unplug it if it is not directly wired to the ac line. Let it cool and plug back in and see what happens. My old microwave stopped working and it was an internal ceramic fuse that needed to be replaced. The fuse was behind a small door with a screw. Good luck.
  • 01-03-2009, 05:28 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugar Beats

Are you missing any pets?! :yikes:
  • 01-03-2009, 06:32 PM
    thekid
    I never touched your microwave........:p
  • 01-04-2009, 05:40 AM
    Sugar Beats
    Thanks guys, and no I'm not missing any pets!
  • 01-04-2009, 06:54 AM
    Groundbeef
    Well, at least I'm not the only one. When I was 12, I was supposed to play my piano for 30 minutes. My parents always used the microwave "timer" to make sure I played the proper time.

Once I set the microwave to 30 minutes as a timer as well. Except I just turned the micro on for 30 minutes. If memory serves me, I didn't break the microwave, but made my dad pretty upset.

As a parent, I would hesitate to "charge" the little ones for this mistake. What we take for granted as adults, you must remember to little ones, may be an entirely new experience. And if you asked them to set the "timer" but didn't instruct them that it was a seperate function, they can't really be blamed. Even if you want to.

Now if I can only catch the one that is putting paper towels down my sink garbage disposal, I may make her pay!
  • 01-04-2009, 09:26 AM
    Kevio
    Microwaves don't like to be run empty (my parents used to leave a cup of water in the otherwise empty oven for safety). It may be fried. A new one will set you back <$100 so take that into account when deciding whether to repair or replace. Not wise to try and fix it yourself - you may end up sterilized or with cooked eyeballs.

I agree with Groundbeef, honest mistakes are not chargeable. Second time around, they are.
  • 01-04-2009, 10:28 AM
    02audionoob
    I agree with the aforementioned fuse idea. Maybe someone handy could take it out of the cabinet and check under the outer cover for a fuse. IMO, spending $100 to repair a $250 microwave is better than a buying a new one.
  • 01-04-2009, 03:15 PM
    trollgirl
    I'm sure you all know not to put metal into a microwave oven. I once killed one by heating up a mug of water with it, but the mug was made from leaded glass.
  • 01-04-2009, 05:37 PM
    Sugar Beats
    Okay, I don't think I'll "charge" them as I was thinking I might.
    My 12 1/2 yr. old and my 10 yr. old clearly know how to work the mico and the timer on it. It's really easy! Just push the timer button, enter the time, pursh timer on. Simple. So I know they know how...
    just another costly mistake. We've had a couple of those.