Thread: I hate winter!

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

I hate winter!

It is currently -22C this morning. With a wind chill of -33C.

Thats -8F with a wind chill of -27F for my American friends.

I need to move to a warmer climate.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn

Huh? What the heck are you doing in Canada then?

Looking to move south myself. After a year & a half of building our new house, we're looking to move 6 months after we moved in.

Enjoy that crisp air. We have warm weather here. +2F with 40mph wind gusts.
    Last edited by GMichael; 03-06-2007 at 07:05 AM.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

I like...

...winter and it's cold, refreshing air...you can always dress for it but, you can only take off just so much clothing ...another reason warm weather is bad...there are some folks who should be required to be fully dressed year 'round...

Plus it keeps the noisy, wimpy, little wussies indoors where they belong...and when they do go out, they keep the windows of their rolling boom-boxes closed...

jimHJJ(...winter make you strong like bull...13 deg F, w/wind chill of -2...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

winter skipped Belgium,
    It froze here for like what, one day? and there was barely any snow!

and now it feels like spring again, we had like 15°C or 16°C the past days, and sun,
    now there is rain though, the B.O.T. left for a while...

Rock on,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Whimp!

For a start, that's about what it was here in London, ON, this morning.

But I lived for a dozen years in Regina, Saskatchewan. -22C is no worse than normal for January & February there. I was out (briefly) one day in the winter of 2000 or so, when the wind chill was -57C, (-70.6F).

Winter, what's that?

Sunny and 70 in Cali!
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    People in the US are divided into two groups: Northerners and Southerners. Those of us South of anyone usually picture anyone North of us as being in colder climates than us.

All y'all Cannucks are North of us. I was told (by a Cannuck, no less) that 90% of the population keep just to the North of the border, and for good cause -- you're basically trying to get as far South as possible while remaining in Canada.

I believe much of Canada is along the same latitudes as Siberia. Good luck with that.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    People in the US are divided into two groups: Northerners and Southerners. Those of us South of anyone usually picture anyone North of us as being in colder climates than us.

All y'all Cannucks are North of us. I was told (by a Cannuck, no less) that 90% of the population keep just to the North of the border, and for good cause -- you're basically trying to get as far South as possible while remaining in Canada.

I believe much of Canada is along the same latitudes as Siberia. Good luck with that.
    Actually, if you look at a map of North America, you'll see that approximately 25% of the US is further north than the southern most point in Canada. And about 20% is further North than where I am in Toronto. The most Southern point in Canada is only slightly North of the most Northern point of California. However, only about 5% of Canada falls into that "south of the US" region. (I'm assuming that my Atlas is to scale when judging these per cents.)

But I don't care about all of that. All I know is that when I went out this morning it was freakin' COLD!

And Feanor, I've never lived in Regina, but I used to travel to Winnipeg on business quite a bit, and I've experienced that sub, sub, sub zero windchill. It, literally, takes your breath away. I hope to never have to experience it again.

Actually, if you look at a map of North America, you'll see that approximately 25% of the US is further north than the southern most point in Canada. And about 20% is further North than where I am in Toronto. The most Southern point in Canada is only slightly North of the most Northern point of California. However, only about 5% of Canada falls into that "south of the US" region. (I'm assuming that my Atlas is to scale when judging these per cents.)

But I don't care about all of that. All I know is that when I went out this morning it was freakin' COLD!

And Feanor, I've never lived in Regina, but I used to travel to Winnipeg on business quite a bit, and I've experienced that sub, sub, sub zero windchill. It, literally, takes your breath away. I hope to never have to experience it again.
    You must be counting Alaska. That's not to be counted.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hey FA, I'm with ya...I measured 17 inches of accumulated snow on the ground, it's -24 C (-30 something with wind chill) and my little dog has drawn the line on going out to pee.
    Can't say I blame him...My back is killing me from the 2nd major snowfall in a week.

This crap didn't happen in Atlanta.

Worst part is, it's too damn cold to take my sled for a spin...grrrrr...I mean, brrrrr.....

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    You must be counting Alaska. That's not to be counted.
    Actually, I forgot about Alaska...and Hawaii. I was only looking at the continental states.

...and why are you thinking of moving again? Yogi too much for you to handle?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Good news, it's a balmy -21 C this morning with a scorching high of -19 C expected today in Atlantic Canada. (-6 F to -3 F back home).
    No freakin' wind. Ya just take what you can, one little victory at a time...What happened to all that Global Warming **** Al Gore was cryin' about???

Actually, I forgot about Alaska...and Hawaii. I was only looking at the continental states.

...and why are you thinking of moving again? Yogi too much for you to handle?
    Kind of a sad story. Let me know if you really want to hear and I'll PM you.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Be grateful...

...you are not at the Mt. Washington Observatory in NH...where you can instantly make snow out of boiling water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC3DUwseZn8

...and where it's currently -16.9F w/WC of -55.4F with NW winds of better than 54mph.

The location still has the record of the highest winds on the planet set in 1934 of 231mph...

jimHJJ(...that'll chill yer avocados...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...winter and it's cold, refreshing air...you can always dress for it but, you can only take off just so much clothing ...
    This has always been my philosophy as well. My wardrobe is much better in the winter, what with various jackets, scarfs, etc. However, in the summer you can only take off so much before you get arrested.

BOT, I don't know which is worse, the extreme cold you guys are experiencing or the record heat we're enduring. It was 88 degrees yesterday...in the middle of MARCH...and it's going to be even hotter today. This sucks! It was so hot I had to put my top up on the car and turn the air conditioning on for Pete's sakes! Now, before you call me out for whining, keep in mind I actually prefer cold weather. Last summer was the hottest I've experienced with almost 90 days straight over 100 degrees and 30 days over 105 (the hottest was a spurt of 118; the definition of "suck"). I have the sinking feeling that this summer is going to make last year feel balmy.

Global warming? What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    This has always been my philosophy as well. My wardrobe is much better in the winter, what with various jackets, scarfs, etc. However, in the summer you can only take off so much before you get arrested.

BOT, I don't know which is worse, the extreme cold you guys are experiencing or the record heat we're enduring. It was 88 degrees yesterday...in the middle of MARCH...and it's going to be even hotter today. This sucks! It was so hot I had to put my top up on the car and turn the air conditioning on for Pete's sakes! Now, before you call me out for whining, keep in mind I actually prefer cold weather. Last summer was the hottest I've experienced with almost 90 days straight over 100 degrees and 30 days over 105 (the hottest was a spurt of 118; the definition of "suck"). I have the sinking feeling that this summer is going to make last year feel balmy.

Global warming? What's that?
    Trade you!

Actually, no. I hate the extreme heat of the summer as much as I hate the extreme cold of the winter. I whine my way through both.

I'm an Autumn girl....or haven't you noticed?

crap, it was like 20° C today...
    it was this weather for like 2 days now, and already the bloody insects are teasing me again...

darn flies...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ..there are some folks who should be required to be fully dressed year 'round...
    Right! Some people should not be allowed to be naked, not even in the privacy of their own homes

BTW, I LOVE winter. It's mid-March, and I wish January was back.

Laz

Thread Information