Suspended

Education Part ll

This is the second part to an earlier writing about education in the United States. As you may recall, I advocated for the privatization of all schools from kindergarten to graduate studies. This piece will focus on the curriculum that needs to be followed.

Everytime I encounter someone in the workplace, I am reminded of just how much we have failed to properly educate United States citizens in the fundamentals of communication: reading, writing and speaking. Few would argue that the time is long overdue for the United States to "get back to the basics" of a fully functional education system. We need to exclusively focus on the development of communication skills from kindergarten to eighth grade along with annual testing that measures apptitude and interest. Training in mathematics should be limited to addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Unless communication skills are fully mastered, there is no need to advance to high school.

For those who graduate to high school, the emphasis could evolve into a curriculum of philosophy, sociology, economics, psychology, science and religious studies. Books such as "For Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide" could be used to foster an understanding of different religions. Athletic activity would be strictly confined to cardio vascular exercises and all sports would be eliminated. While there would still be an emphasis on communication skills, the focus would now be on developing a foundation of basic knowledge so as to be able to graduate to college. Testing for apptitude and interest would continue through high school increasing the chances of picking the right field of study . Those not continuing on to college would enter some type of apprenticeship training for the purpose of learning a trade. For those who do graduate to college, the student would continue to study an advanced version of the same curriculum as high school but only for the first two years then they would complete their education by strictly focusing on coursework designed to train them in their field of study. Nearing graduation, internships would be required to begin the transition to the working world. Think of how different our society would be if our education system could just teach the fundamentals of reading, writing and speaking.

Suspended

same

good points...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEBIALEK
    This is the second part to an earlier writing about education in the United States. As you may recall, I advocated for the privatization of all schools from kindergarten to graduate studies. This piece will focus on the curriculum that needs to be followed.

Everytime I encounter someone in the workplace, I am reminded of just how much we have failed to properly educate United States citizens in the fundamentals of communication: reading, writing and speaking. Few would argue that the time is long overdue for the United States to "get back to the basics" of a fully functional education system. We need to exclusively focus on the development of communication skills from kindergarten to eighth grade along with annual testing that measures apptitude and interest. Training in mathematics should be limited to addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Unless communication skills are fully mastered, there is no need to advance to high school.

For those who graduate to high school, the emphasis could evolve into a curriculum of philosophy, sociology, economics, psychology, science and religious studies. Books such as "For Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide" could be used to foster an understanding of different religions. Athletic activity would be strictly confined to cardio vascular exercises and all sports would be eliminated. While there would still be an emphasis on communication skills, the focus would now be on developing a foundation of basic knowledge so as to be able to graduate to college. Testing for apptitude and interest would continue through high school increasing the chances of picking the right field of study . Those not continuing on to college would enter some type of apprenticeship training for the purpose of learning a trade. For those who do graduate to college, the student would continue to study an advanced version of the same curriculum as high school but only for the first two years then they would complete their education by strictly focusing on coursework designed to train them in their field of study. Nearing graduation, internships would be required to begin the transition to the working world. Think of how different our society would be if our education system could just teach the fundamentals of reading, writing and speaking.
    An 8th grade education prepares kids for MacJobs. I mean all those low paying jobs in the trade and service industries. The money spent on schooling students who lack the desire and/or ability to go beyond 8th grade probably is wasted, and might be better spent being placed in a fund for their future health and retirement needs. I doubt anything like this ever will happen.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar

Surely You're Joking...

We need to exclusively focus on the development of communication skills from kindergarten to eighth grade.
    What will they talk about? Is this so we can raise a generation of knowledge-less talking heads to work for cable news networks?

Training in mathematics should be limited to addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
    Ah, yes. No sense in even trying to compete with the better educated children in third world nations that are already kicking the collective US butt in these areas.

For those who graduate to high school, the emphasis could evolve into a curriculum of philosophy, sociology, economics, psychology, science and religious studies.
    The "Everything I Needed to Know I Tried to Learn in Four Years, But Was Unprepared for It" approach. Is this where we get to learn the latest on Intelligent Design?

Books such as "For Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide" could be used to foster an understanding of different religions.
    Wouldn't want to challenge anyone with the difficult questions. And, it's always good to remind our kids how stupid they are...and will remain in this system.

Athletic activity would be strictly confined to cardio vascular exercises and all sports would be eliminated.
    Wouldn't want anyone to learn how to cooperate. Definitely don't want anyone to learn leadership skills...or develop motor skills.

While there would still be an emphasis on communication skills, the focus would now be on developing a foundation of basic knowledge so as to be able to graduate to college.
    You want to destroy the College system too!

Testing for aptitude and interest would continue through high school increasing the chances of picking the right field of study . Those not continuing on to college would enter some type of apprenticeship training for the purpose of learning a trade.
    Yes, Chairman Secretary we will all conform for the good of the People.

Think of how different our society would be if our education system could just teach the fundamentals of reading, writing and speaking.
    It boggles the mind. A nation of crackpots, indivisible with mediocrity and inanity for all!

"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something."
    --Richard Feynman

I'm not saying what should be taught children and when. But I did notice a difference in what gets taught when I was in the Philippines. I flipped on the TV one day to notice a kids show similar to our Sesame Street. I was expecting to see the usual, "today's number is the number 3. Look at all the ways we can use the number 3." Instead, I saw kids doing calculus. What's this I thought? Calculus at 7 years old. This can't be right can it? This must be a comedy. Nope, it was real. They start teaching their kids 2nd and 3rd languages around that same time frame. Way beyond what our kids learn. I was ashamed.
    And what do they do with all this learning? Often it goes unused. They have too many people and top few jobs. My wife was using her masters degree in business management to be a secretary making $20 a week. That's right, a week. It turned out that my wife knew the girl cleaning our room while we were there. This girl has a degree in engineering and was washing a toilet with a smile on her face. Happy to have any job.
    Where does that leave us? Our under educated over self centered kids will have no chance competing in the world market.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Linear Guy

A shame

I spent 4 weeks in Russia about 10 years ago. Trip of my life so far. My peers in engineering were making about 75.00 a month. They lived in three room apartments in crumbling high-rises. Their only other possessions were cars that didn't run very well and a small plot of land in the country for summer gardening. Having so little helps them to know what is really important in life. Family is everything there. The Commies took away progress and controlled information but they didn't take away poetry, music and the arts in general. They live as well as they can, are educated and try like hell to be happy despite their poverty and I was proud to hang out with them and drink vodka.

Many of our jobs will be lost to these and other educated people in other countries that don't have our wealth but have desire for a better life. When we examine why, we should look inward first. We don't care enough. I would be happy just to see American kids taking advantage of existing educational opportunities. Maybe we should try that first. We don't need better schools and teachers as much as we need better students and involved parents. If we had less worthless cultural distractions we might be a stronger people.

Thread Information