Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

And if...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    . God forbid nothing happens to you while you live in your ivory tower.
    ...God forbid anything does, I won't be pointing fingers and blaming everyone on the face of the planet for my predicament or my lot in life!

Wanna' start at ground zero...Do you really want to avoid the facts and face the real reasons?...Do you really want to bring up the hypertensive, overweight, diabetic grandma who has to raise the nine grandchildren because their parents are nowhere to be found...or is that merely an example of the non-traditional family you often speak of? And why is grammy so sick to begin with? Could it have something to do with the fact that under the best conditions she eats cr@p? And don't give me the healthcare rhetoric, we've been there AND done that!

.Then of course we have the opportunistic and strident types who at every opportunity invoke the "racism" argument...just have to keep fannin' those flames...how else could they possibly justify their self-annointed and aggrandizing position of "leadership"? "Look at the conditions they were forced to live in" they say...Did the sports dome or convention center look like a pig-sty BEFORE being turned into an emergency shelter? Is it always someone elses responsibility? Always looking for the bail-out...

Why do so many live hand-to-mouth? No one saves even pennies for the rainy day? Any income is treated like a windfall with little or no thought for future needs. Why are there poor and unemployed? Simple, you don't work and there's no money other than what is provided by the state...you don't go to school and just look for what Rev. Ike used to call "pie-in-the -sky"...just babies havin' babies and a continuance of the same old cycle of self-perpetuating ignorance and poverty...but it's the government's fault...or the media's fault...or whitey's fault...yep, we go in and dump our trash which attracts the rats and spread other vermin and disease...it's a vast white conspiracy...

And before anyone accuses me of stereotyping, I have lived or worked in some of the worst parts of NYC and have witnessed from an early age of what I speak...from the black men who worked at the Domino "sugar house" across the street from the bar my uncle worked in...Learned how to shoot pool from 'em on Friday and Saturday nights...Stetson hats, Florsheim shoes, top-shelf liquor and dead broke by Monday...Williamsburg, Bed-Stuy, lower East side including alphabet city, West side, Harlem, South Jamaica...worked in 'em all...you didn't need ladders to do your job...just scale the mountains of garbage...and whether north or south still got them grandmothers tending the children of absentee parents...

And, I'm sure there are those who will ask what this has to do with the current situation or accuse me of going off on some self-serving and disjointed diatribe, but it's merely a small example of realities that exist, because they are allowed to exist and prosper within the affected communities...when that untenable situation is subjected to something like Katrina, everything goes right in the dumper. So, what does it have to do with it?

Only, everything.

jimHJJ(...I can dance all night, where do you wanna' go with this?...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

You are absolutely correct G. It seems that no one wants to stick their hand out first though. I am lucky, while most of my family is carribean latino, my grandmother is european white, some cousins are black or mixed black, and I have some white second cousins. I thought the whole world was this multicultural and got along like my family did. Boy was I wrong!
    Multiculturalism is fun!

My mom is German, my dad is American... my girlfriend is Mexican, my sister in law is from the Dominican Republican, my brother's fiance is from Taiwan.

Whenever we all get together, its like a multicultural funfest

There will always be closed-minded people out there, just don't get too bothered by them.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...God forbid anything does, I won't be pointing fingers and blaming everyone on the face of the planet for my predicament or my lot in life!

Wanna' start at ground zero...Do you really want to avoid the facts and face the real reasons?...Do you really want to bring up the hypertensive, overweight, diabetic grandma who has to raise the nine grandchildren because their parents are nowhere to be found...or is that merely an example of the non-traditional family you often speak of? And why is grammy so sick to begin with? Could it have something to do with the fact that under the best conditions she eats cr@p? And don't give me the healthcare rhetoric, we've been there AND done that!

.Then of course we have the opportunistic and strident types who at every opportunity invoke the "racism" argument...just have to keep fannin' those flames...how else could they possibly justify their self-annointed and aggrandizing position of "leadership"? "Look at the conditions they were forced to live in" they say...Did the sports dome or convention center look like a pig-sty BEFORE being turned into an emergency shelter? Is it always someone elses responsibility? Always looking for the bail-out...

Why do so many live hand-to-mouth? No one saves even pennies for the rainy day? Any income is treated like a windfall with little or no thought for future needs. Why are there poor and unemployed? Simple, you don't work and there's no money other than what is provided by the state...you don't go to school and just look for what Rev. Ike used to call "pie-in-the -sky"...just babies havin' babies and a continuance of the same old cycle of self-perpetuating ignorance and poverty...but it's the government's fault...or the media's fault...or whitey's fault...yep, we go in and dump our trash which attracts the rats and spread other vermin and disease...it's a vast white conspiracy...

And before anyone accuses me of stereotyping, I have lived or worked in some of the worst parts of NYC and have witnessed from an early age of what I speak...from the black men who worked at the Domino "sugar house" across the street from the bar my uncle worked in...Learned how to shoot pool from 'em on Friday and Saturday nights...Stetson hats, Florsheim shoes, top-shelf liquor and dead broke by Monday...Williamsburg, Bed-Stuy, lower East side including alphabet city, West side, Harlem, South Jamaica...worked in 'em all...you didn't need ladders to do your job...just scale the mountains of garbage...and whether north or south still got them grandmothers tending the children of absentee parents...

And, I'm sure there are those who will ask what this has to do with the current situation or accuse me of going off on some self-serving and disjointed diatribe, but it's merely a small example of realities that exist, because they are allowed to exist and prosper within the affected communities...when that untenable situation is subjected to something like Katrina, everything goes right in the dumper. So, what does it have to do with it?

Only, everything.

jimHJJ(...I can dance all night, where do you wanna' go with this?...)
    This is nothing more than typical bigoted trash not worthy of a response. If we listen to your bit of stupidity, all black people don't work, wear stereotypical ghetto clothes, and have the education of a 10 year old. This post is trash, but considering the author, this is probably the best he can do.

Dance with yourself....
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    Multiculturalism is fun!

My mom is German, my dad is American... my girlfriend is Mexican, my sister in law is from the Dominican Republican, my brother's fiance is from Taiwan.

Whenever we all get together, its like a multicultural funfest

There will always be closed-minded people out there, just don't get too bothered by them.

Multiculturalism is not fun,not at all. US cant handle it. It makes for far more problems then not.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Multiculturalism is not fun,not at all. US cant handle it. It makes for far more problems then not.
    Multiculturalism IS America. There's no way around that. Our country is based on it. We can either deal with it, or stick our heads in the sand.
    Not only can we handle it, but it's what has made us so strong. We have the best of the best from everywhere in the world. But we also have the worst of the worst to go with that. They come hand in hand. That brings us some very huge problems, but it also brings us the greatest minds to solve those problems.
    Good and bad are everywhere. There are good and bad people of every color. What we tend to do is see the bad in others and ignore the good. Or write the good off as a byproduct of something bad we have seen "the other side" doing. So we build up an image in our head of the "other guy" as unrealistically bad. We have to see this for what it is, normal behavior, and understand that we are more alike than we had first thought.
    Just something to think about the next time you see someone different than yourself and look down on them.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

TtT, TtT, TtT...

This is nothing more than typical bigoted trash not worthy of a response. If we listen to your bit of stupidity, all black people don't work, wear stereotypical ghetto clothes, and have the education of a 10 year old. This post is trash, but considering the author, this is probably the best he can do.

Dance with yourself....
    Tut, tut, ta-da-rut...once again you miss the point...big time! If we listen to YOUR myopic rendition of what was posted, that's when we get we the trash...but then again, generalizing, oversimplification and hype is what I would expect from you and those of your ilk.

Each individual is responsible for their own safety, health and well-being...expecting someone else to take up the slack is akin to the "forty acres and a mule" that some folks have been waiting generations for..."they ain't helpin' us"...just who is "they"...

Then comes family responsibility for their own...without a more "traditional" family structure, that safety-net is nonexistent...babies havin' babies and single-parent or non-existent-parent families lack the required tools to do the job, and yet that is what passes for "tradition" in many households. If we start off in a negative position, it's makes the struggle just that more difficult.

Then comes the local government...it is THEIR responsibility to help safeguard and aid the local population...Rudy Giuliani took the lead on 9/11, someone was there for us...where was the mayor of N.O.? Other than his echo the "why aren't they helpin' us" I saw little of him. Where were the first responders? FEMA isn't structured to take their place and even the local police seemed to have thrown up their hands in the face of this calamity.

Then there is the state's responsibility. The city was built below sea level hundreds of years ago, were was the plan? This was in the cards, and EVERYBODY knew it. If it was the ultimate responsibility of the Feds and the Army Corps of Engineers to augment the levee system, where were the local and state legislators? Why weren't the squeaky' wheels oiled? Were there ANY squeaky wheels to begin with?

You would think by all the complaints of the Feds "doing nothing" that there is some clandestine series of warehouses, stockpiling every conceivable need and all within walking distance of any potential major catastrophe(of course, only if the population is white)...this ain't OZ and I see no ruby slippers...nowadays, most businesses don't keep more stock than they need based on usage projections and the government is no different...coupled with the "downsizing" and centralizing of distribution points it takes time...for some reason we as a nation labor under the false impression that we can expect "same day delivery" under all circumstances...even FedEx can't accomplish that.

Every person is complicit in their own equation...it's one he!! of a stretch to jump from a lack of personal responsibility to George Bush(et al) is(are) a racist(s)...yet that's what we hear...

And, FYI, Sir Talksalot...If I were a bigot, I could give a sh!t less what happens...fact is while the things I say may be painful to hear, someone has to say them. There are leaders in the black community who say the same things, and are completely ignored in favor of the martyr-types who perpetuate the status quo and the "pie-in-the-sky" mentality.

jimHJJ(...you're either part of the solution or part of the problem...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Multiculturalism IS America. There's no way around that. Our country is based on it. We can either deal with it, or stick our heads in the sand.
    Not only can we handle it, but it's what has made us so strong. We have the best of the best from everywhere in the world. But we also have the worst of the worst to go with that. They come hand in hand. That brings us some very huge problems, but it also brings us the greatest minds to solve those problems.
    Good and bad are everywhere. There are good and bad people of every color. What we tend to do is see the bad in others and ignore the good. Or write the good off as a byproduct of something bad we have seen "the other side" doing. So we build up an image in our head of the "other guy" as unrealistically bad. We have to see this for what it is, normal behavior, and understand that we are more alike than we had first thought.
    Just something to think about the next time you see someone different than yourself and look down on them.
    I look down on nobody. I have worked around it for 25 years and it dont work. This melting pot is crap. Its a nice thing to think it works and its nice to want it to work and most want it to work but my head is way above the sand and it doesnt work,sorry. People of different color just cant get along in the long run.
    Look & Listen

I look down on nobody. I have worked around it for 25 years and it dont work. This melting pot is crap. Its a nice thing to think it works and its nice to want it to work and most want it to work but my head is way above the sand and it doesnt work,sorry. People of different color just cant get along in the long run.
    Don't? Can't? Doesn't? Crap?

Tisk tisk tisk.

All we can do is try.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Don't? Can't? Doesn't? Crap?

Tisk tisk tisk.

All we can do is try.
    Di I wish it would work? Of course,its here.
    Did it work before? Yep.
    Now,its just a different word with signs i cant read. Now that i think about it,i guess some of it bothers me. The part where non-americans come to the US and instead of adapting to our ways,WE have to change to there ways. I guess that does bother me. I dont know what that makes me but i cant help it.
    Look & Listen

How soon we forget:

Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to
    breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming
    shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-lost to me

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Then there is the state's responsibility. The city was built below sea level hundreds of years ago, were was the plan? This was in the cards, and EVERYBODY knew it. If it was the ultimate responsibility of the Feds and the Army Corps of Engineers to augment the levee system, where were the local and state legislators? Why weren't the squeaky' wheels oiled? Were there ANY squeaky wheels to begin with?
    A little fact-checking is in order here. The article below touches on the million acres of wetlands lost in south LA and the state and local officials' attempts to save them since the 1980s. There's a lot more info on how the wetlands used to serve as a buffer from hurricanes for New Orleans and other parts of LA if you care to look into it.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/05/Wo...s_lesson.shtml

And before you go and characterize this as a local problem, remember the MS River and the Port of New Orleans are/were vital to INTERSTATE commerce. Read your US Constitution regarding US Congress's responsibility for interstate commerce.

Also, TtT (or someone) has already posted another article or made reference to the fact that New Orleans wasn't always below sea-level.

I'll spare you my own comments on your rhetoric and just provide the facts.

Here's "Brownie's" speech at a hurricane conference in Florida last year detailing FEMA's pre-positioning for immediate response to Hurricane Isabel so that you can compare that preparedness to FEMA's preparedness (or lack thereof) for Katrina.

http://www.fema.gov/library/speech_brown04082004.shtm

You probably wonder where your fed tax dollars go, right? I mean you seam like the type who hates the fact that your tax dollars go to welfare and food stamp programs, right? Well, consider how much of your tax dollars went to Homeland Security and consider that FEMA is under Homeland Security. My personal opinion is that we didn't get the federal response we paid for. Isn't that what conservatives want? If we have to spend tax dollars on something, don't we want efficiency, readiness and competency? I shouldn't have to remind you of your own basic conservative tenets.

GM,I never said that.LOL. In fact i'm for a 5 year halt for anyone and everyone coming into the US. We need a break. We are filling up faster then we can take care of everyone and we are starting to take to much care of outsiders and not the US born.
    Look & Listen

Di I wish it would work? Of course,its here.
    Did it work before? Yep.
    Now,its just a different word with signs i cant read. Now that i think about it,i guess some of it bothers me. The part where non-americans come to the US and instead of adapting to our ways,WE have to change to there ways. I guess that does bother me. I dont know what that makes me but i cant help it.
    I understand how you feel. I'd be a liar to say that I've never felt the same. Change can be a hard thing to deal with.

It only makes you human. You can't help that. But you can help what you do with those feelings. We used to be THEM a few hundres years ago. And this country changed to fit our needs. If it didn't, we might all be in T-P's. Well, maybe not, but you get what I mean.

I'm not trying to say that everything is perfect. Way far from it. But we'll be better off if we put our efforts into fixing the problems instead of blaming them on others.

Stereotypes often have a basis in fact - we all know it.

Why are all Irish looked at as drunks? Well, because they are.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. And don't EVEN get me started on those Poles!

There are cultural differences between races. Sometimes within races. A tip of the hat to Jim for saying what he really thinks. After all T you don't hesitate to single out whites. So let's have a fair discussion here.

Laz I'm sorry there was A problem somewhere else. They just don't allow politics, period. I'm oK with that. I mean, look at us here: before we all discussed the unifing issues of the day (!) I didn't know that RCA is a commie, Wooch is a long haired hippie, Jim is a bigot, Dean is a lawyer ( ), kex is a pussilaminous two country-er, or T is a militant one-worlder.

Talk about self discovery! I found out I'm a right-wing imperialist homophobic moron.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

:rofl:

Pete
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

GM,I never said that.LOL. In fact i'm for a 5 year halt for anyone and everyone coming into the US. We need a break. We are filling up faster then we can take care of everyone and we are starting to take to much care of outsiders and not the US born.
    But my wife is from the Philippines. I'd miss her if we shipped her back. Can we make at lease one exception and let her stay?

But my wife is from the Philippines. I'd miss her if we shipped her back. Can we make at lease one exception and let her stay?
    Never said anything about shipping anyone out so yes,i will let her stay.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by piece-it pete
    Stereotypes often have a basis in fact - we all know it.

Why are all Irish looked at as drunks? Well, because they are.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. And don't EVEN get me started on those Poles!

There are cultural differences between races. Sometimes within races. A tip of the hat to Jim for saying what he really thinks. After all T you don't hesitate to single out whites. So let's have a fair discussion here.

Laz I'm sorry there was A problem somewhere else. They just don't allow politics, period. I'm oK with that. I mean, look at us here: before we all discussed the unifing issues of the day (!) I didn't know that RCA is a commie, Wooch is a long haired hippie, Jim is a bigot, Dean is a lawyer ( ), kex is a pussilaminous two country-er, or T is a militant one-worlder.

Talk about self discovery! I found out I'm a right-wing imperialist homophobic moron.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

:rofl:

Pete
    Hey Pete!

Despite the differences, we all have a few things in common or we wouldn't be here. We all like our hometheater or music systems, music and/or film. Oh, and we all like to vent and provoke periodocally.

This is completely off topic, but I was reflecting on some of my trips to New Orleans and I remembered the first time I wandered the French Quarter by myself. It was a Sunday afternoon when I was 14 - probably in 1983 or '84. I turned off Bourbon St. and found a street with several art galleries. I went into one and found a display of John Lennon lithographs. A few reprints were for sale but the majority were originals there for a short time before being shipped to a gallery somewhere else. I haven't heard much about the New Orleans art scene in the news. I always look forward to the new Jazz Fest poster each year and the crawfish/seafood festival posters from all over Louisiana are some of the most colorful and unique art forms you can find.

Awful lot of assumptions, Dino...

...your first referenced article only shows how man has altered the natural order of things and is now paying the price. Just like the 'glades, screw up the environment to provide more land for developers or industry...or those golf courses...after all tomorrow is another day.

Interstate commerce? As per the Constitution, Congress regulates it. As far as I can see the Port of New Orleans is just another corporation, replete with executives and board members...no direct governmental ties other than listing the ACE as a member of the consortium of related industries. I believe it would take an act of Congress to "nationalize" or otherwise change that relationship and we all know how swiftly government plods. However, not being a constitutional lawyer, my interpretation may be somewhat simplistic.

And while we're providing links:

http://www.slate.com/id/2125346/nav/tap2

http://www.slate.com/id/2125229/nav/tap2

Insofar as getting what we pay for, eight-hundred dollar toilet seats and hundred dollar screwdrivers seemto be de riguer with the feds, so what else is new?

'Smatter of fact, early on and during hard times, I was using food stamps. When I began receiving paychecks(but was still eligible for the coupons) the amount that it cost to purchase them changed dramatically. There was a $5 difference in that price and the amount of buying power the stamps offered. An amount certainly not worth the trouble and paperwork involved in continuing in the program. Coupled with that fact and the feeling of unease of being on the dole everytime I used them, I stopped.

My "conservative tenets"? We should be horse-whipping most of the politicians and bureaucrats on both sides of the aisle for the sh!t they pull...but that's another story...

jimHJJ(...so please, spare me...)

Yes Dean I know, I was only poking fun. Rereading it I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers. Sometimes I don't know when to say when!

Who knows how much invaluable art was lost. And all those old buildings! NO is such a disaster.

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

Never said anything about shipping anyone out so yes,i will let her stay.
    Thanks, you're the best.

Well, well, well...

Talk about self discovery! I found out I'm a right-wing imperialist homophobic moron.Pete
    ...It's like I have a brother!

jimHJJ(...such a small world...)

Oh, oh, do I get to be a bigot too?

It is sooo great to be an angry white man nowadays. We have books written about us!

Wait that was "Stupid white men", wasn't it? Is that politically correct racism?

Aaag. I feel like discriminating against someone. Where's an Italian pizza maker when you need one?

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

Well...

Oh, oh, do I get to be a bigot too?Pete
    ...yeah, but I'm still one up on ya...I'm a dumb polack...must get beer and kielbasa...must get beer and kielbasa...

Italian pizza-maker? Heck, we got a full-blown Jewish guy doin' kosher pies that-a-way and Orientals(WARNING: not a PC term) cookin' tostada synchronadas t'other...it's (con)fusion cooking at it's best!

I don't know if this will translate well to the printed form, but here's a bit of non-PC humor...

Didja' hear about the hispanic fireman?

His wife had twins...named one Jose' and the other hose "b"...

One of my faves is left over from the days when Michael Jackson was still a black fella and took the Pepsi challenge a bit too far resulting in setting himself on fire...

What's Michael Jackson's favorite charity?

The ignited Negro college fund.

And on that bit of banal humor...

jimHJJ(...I'll take my leave...must get beer and kielbasa...)

...your first referenced article only shows how man has altered the natural order of things and is now paying the price. Just like the 'glades, screw up the environment to provide more land for developers or industry...or those golf courses...after all tomorrow is another day.

Interstate commerce? As per the Constitution, Congress regulates it. As far as I can see the Port of New Orleans is just another corporation, replete with executives and board members...no direct governmental ties other than listing the ACE as a member of the consortium of related industries. I believe it would take an act of Congress to "nationalize" or otherwise change that relationship and we all know how swiftly government plods. However, not being a constitutional lawyer, my interpretation may be somewhat simplistic.

And while we're providing links:

http://www.slate.com/id/2125346/nav/tap2

http://www.slate.com/id/2125229/nav/tap2

Insofar as getting what we pay for, eight-hundred dollar toilet seats and hundred dollar screwdrivers seemto be de riguer with the feds, so what else is new?

'Smatter of fact, early on and during hard times, I was using food stamps. When I began receiving paychecks(but was still eligible for the coupons) the amount that it cost to purchase them changed dramatically. There was a $5 difference in that price and the amount of buying power the stamps offered. An amount certainly not worth the trouble and paperwork involved in continuing in the program. Coupled with that fact and the feeling of unease of being on the dole everytime I used them, I stopped.

My "conservative tenets"? We should be horse-whipping most of the politicians and bureaucrats on both sides of the aisle for the sh!t they pull...but that's another story...

jimHJJ(...so please, spare me...)
    OK, I see we're not too far apart here. I remember after Hurricane Ivan our mayor had to dog-cuss our governor who in turn had to pressure FEMA to get any assistance to us. Tom Ridge, who was head of Homeland Security at the time visited our area and described his department's function through FEMA in response to natural disasters. It's there for support and even provisions. Response was slow. We didn't have ice or power and at times water for over a week. Fortunately, I was prepared with batteries, flashlights, bottled water, ice chests and charcoal and I drove 60 miles one-way to get a generator to run a fridge at my parents house so the whole family could use it for necessities. The thing that helped the most was the percolating coffee pot my in-laws gave me. Every morning I fired off my grill and made everyone coffee. After about 3 days, FEMA showed up with bottled water, ice, and MREs. Then power co. trucks from other states came rolling in.

Recently, Hurricane Dennis came through and all the relief efforts that were late arriving for Ivan were here the next day. I thought the coordinating and pre-staging had improved. But I see now that it's hit or miss. There's enough blame to go around, but I get a little irritated when the local mayor gets ALL the criticism. Our mayor was a hero after Ivan not because of the help or plan he provided, but because of the outside help he was finally able to get. (We weren't underwater, we don't have the pop. of NO and we weren't confronted with many of the problems that NO is facing. It's not a fair comparison, but it's what I have observed and experienced.)

Congress can do just about whatever it wants if it affects interstate commerce. The Civil Rights Act was applied to privately owned hotels and restaraunts by virtue of the interstate commerce clause because travelers from other states stayed at the hotels and ate at the restaraunts. Obviously, the interstate commerce clause is broadly applied. Congress could change the course of the MS River if it wanted because it's used for interstate commerce. That's why federal dollars have been spent on it in the past. But, you're right, Congress does these things in the name of "regulating" commerce and I used the term "responsibility". I think they go hand-in-hand though. If Congress needs to alter the MS to make it more navagible for transporting goods, then it should do it in way that doesn't destroy the environment or create potential danger. I thought the article I posted showed how at one time the wetlands served as a buffer for NO, but due to tinkering with the MS, those wetlands disappeared and it showed that local officials have been trying to save them since the 80s. My point was that the city of NO was not always in such peril. I remember taking a guided tour of the Superdome in the mid 80's and the guide showed us the markings on the columns where the dome had sunk. The city has not always been as far below sea-level as it is now. Even so, it's used nationally as a place of import for coffee, sugar, etc. I heard that 80% of our coffee comes through NO. That seems high, but we'll see if the price of coffee goes up. We've already felt the importance of SE LA at the gas pumps. (At least that's what we've been told.)

BTW, my wife, newborn son and I were on WIC for awhile and I was working for the federal gov't at the time as a file clerk. My wife went back to work as soon as she was able, but we continued to qualify for public assistance. Those were rough times. We had to share an apartment in Northern VA with 2 other guys which was awkward. I've always thought it was a little ironic that you could work for the gov't and still qualify for gov't assistance.

Before everyone gets their britches in a bundle consider:

I KNOW FOR A FACT minorities have jokes about white people. Yes, some have leaked the secret. I am sworn to secrecy.

Not only that, I have Polish and Irish blood. If ANYONE deserves to get upset about certain ethnic jokes....

Beer and kielbasa. For the Irish blood, just beer'll be fine.

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information