How's the weather??

Printable View

• 10-14-2006, 12:30 AM
    basite
    How's the weather??
    well yeah, yesterday I was watching the news and there they said that in New York and Buffalo, it was bloody snowing, and not just snowing, it was a snowstorm, I mean like,
    wtf guys, here in Belgium it's still 68° Fahrenheit, (20° Celcius), and nothing happened,
    so i started this topic.
  • 10-14-2006, 04:04 AM
    Feanor
    Yeah, snowed a bit here too
    Quote:

Originally Posted by basite
    well yeah, yesterday I was watching the news and there they said that in New York and Buffalo, it was bloody snowing, and not just snowing, it was a snowstorm, I mean like,
    wtf guys, here in Belgium it's still 68° Fahrenheit, (20° Celcius), and nothing happened,
    so i started this topic.

Buffalo got hammered with two feet, (60 cm), of snow a couple of days ago. Now, Buffalo gets lots of snow during the winter -- its in the lee of Lake Erie -- but almost never this early in the year. Global warming, I dare say :idea:

I live in London, Ontario, which is about 150 miles, (250 km), due west of Buffalo. We had a wee bit of snow at the same time, but less than an inch. London isn't in the lee of Lake Erie but does get moisture of Lake Huron and tends to get a fair bit of snow too.
  • 10-14-2006, 04:46 AM
    basite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    Global warming, I dare say :idea:

indeed, i think so too, that would also explain why it's still 20°C here
  • 10-14-2006, 09:27 AM
    tin ear
    Cold snap
    Cold front just came through. 72°F (22°C) here in central Texas, down from 90°F (32°C).

Brrrrrrrrrr
  • 10-14-2006, 10:00 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tin ear
    Cold front just came through. 72°F (22°C) here in central Texas, down from 90°F (32°C).

Brrrrrrrrrr

Oh, poor you! :) How do you do that little degree sign?

It's about 5C here in Toronto today. We've had a few small snow flurries over the last couple of days but nothing that sticks to the ground yet. We try to put off turning our heat on for as long as we can. But we have a wood stove in our living room which heats our main floor quite nicely. We've had the fire burning in there for the last few nights. Winter, she's a comin'.

It gets cold here, but we don't get a lot of snow compared to the surrounding areas. Feanor and I are only a couple of hours drive apart, and even though he's south of me, he'll see way more snow than I will.
  • 10-14-2006, 10:18 AM
    basite
    lucky you, i wish we have some decent snow here this year, past years there was just a little, not even enough to have a good snowfight...:ihih:
  • 10-14-2006, 10:27 AM
    tin ear
    Autumn, ° is alt-248, but I can't type it directly into this editor or I get dumped out (typed it in notepad, then pasted it in). Might be this editor, or that I'm using a laptop with its weird keys.

basite:
    Quote:

lucky you, i wish we have some decent snow here this year, past years there was just a little, not even enough to have a good snowfight...:ihih:
    Snow is nearly always welcome here -- we don't get it often. I'd settle for some real good cold spells, just to kill some of these bugs. :17:
  • 10-14-2006, 10:41 AM
    basite
    Quote:

Snow is nearly always welcome here -- we don't get it often. I'd settle for some real good cold spells, just to kill some of these bugs. :17:

bugs, bugs, like a pest, and spiders, (non-toxic, well, the not dangerous at all ones, no tarantulas and kinds like that, just little ones, just big enough to fit in that little hole where i cant smash it...) and other little creatures you don't want in your house, aaah, winter, where is it, hope it will be here soon.:cornut:

Greetz,
    Basite.
  • 10-14-2006, 11:06 AM
    tin ear
    Basite, with the beer y'all have there, I could put up with a few bugs, heh and cold weather too, for that matter.

Wonder if it's a lot cheaper there... Chimay, for example, is very expensive here -- about $10 (8 EU) per liter for the Cinq Cents or maybe the blue.
  • 10-14-2006, 11:23 AM
    tin ear
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Oh, poor you! :) How do you do that little degree sign?

It's about 5C here in Toronto today. We've had a few small snow flurries over the last couple of days but nothing that sticks to the ground yet. We try to put off turning our heat on for as long as we can. But we have a wood stove in our living room which heats our main floor quite nicely. We've had the fire burning in there for the last few nights. Winter, she's a comin'.

It gets cold here, but we don't get a lot of snow compared to the surrounding areas. Feanor and I are only a couple of hours drive apart, and even though he's south of me, he'll see way more snow than I will.

5C = 41F? (I cheat by going outside & looking at my thermometer -- it has both scales :confused5:) At 41, wood stoves would be a-glowin' around here, but we have thinner blood, I guess.

I went to Ontario once. Not as far north as Toronto, though. Just stepped over the border at Windsor. Spent part of a summer on Michigan's UP. A bit chilly, I must say. And the water? Err... major shrinkage. :yikes:
  • 10-14-2006, 12:07 PM
    basite
    Quote:

Wonder if it's a lot cheaper there... Chimay, for example, is very expensive here -- about $10 (8 EU) per liter for the Cinq Cents or maybe the blue.

Holy sh*t!! we pay 4,12 EU for 4 bottles of 33cl. you're better off buying it in tons and importing it
  • 10-14-2006, 01:05 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

5C = 41F? (I cheat by going outside & looking at my thermometer -- it has both scales :confused5:) At 41, wood stoves would be a-glowin' around here, but we have thinner blood, I guess.

I went to Ontario once. Not as far north as Toronto, though. Just stepped over the border at Windsor. Spent part of a summer on Michigan's UP. A bit chilly, I must say. And the water? Err... major shrinkage. :yikes:

I think that it's all a matter of what you're used to. I had a friend who spent 8 years living up in the Yukon Territories. When he came back, it would be -20C here and we'd all be freezing our asses off, bundled up to the eyeballs, and he would be walking around in a fleece lined denim jacket and no gloves.

Now, I have a cousin who moved to Vegas 10 years ago. He came back here last February for a visit. We had a pretty mild winter last year. February wasn't that cold. But he wasn't used to winter anymore and he was absolutely frozen the whole time that he was here.
  • 10-15-2006, 12:05 PM
    KaiWinters
    Can you say "Lake Effect Snow Storm"? Well Buffalo and those of us in Northern NY and along the Great Lakes know all about it. The storm sucks up much water off of the lakes then looks for an unlikely bunch of suckers thinking the weather is still mild for the time of year and "Wham"! you get dumped on.

I am in the Watertown area of NY along Lake Ontario. We did not get any snow...YET...but it will be here soon. Generally we get cold snaps of 40 below zero Farenheit and -10F seems like a warm day after a couple of weeks at -40. Funny thing is I am from the Boston MA area by birth and folks dress up with more winter clothes there than here lol. It is a drier air opposed to the damp cold of the Boston area which seems to go through to your bones...brrrrrrr.

My generator and snow thrower is ready, my lawn has been mowed and treated with winter fertilizer though my mowers are not yet put away for the winter...I have set my thermostats from summer AC settings to winter settings...Old man winter let 'er rip.
  • 10-16-2006, 11:30 AM
    topspeed
    Lots of Northerners here!

It's all of 74 degrees here in Cali, but a warm front is going to push it up to 83 degrees by this weekend (or so says the Weatherman). For the end of October, 83 is warmer than usual but still a far cry from last year when we celebrated Halloween with a 96 degree day. I Trick or Treated with my kids in a T-shirt and shorts!

Global warming? Uh, yeah.
  • 10-17-2006, 07:39 AM
    basite
    it's starting to cool down here, 15° C now, much better, mornings and evenings are a little too cold, but for the rest of the day it is good weather.

Btw, my dad descided that he needed a stereo amp, so he went to an audio shop (alpha high end in antwerp) and he ordered himselves: a rotel ra-06 int amp, and a rotel rcd-06 cd player.
    they both arrive this sunday...
  • 10-17-2006, 09:08 AM
    kexodusc
    Yeah, guys, when you do the Alt-248 thing, use the number pad if you can - the keyboard numbers boot ya out in a lot of forum software for some reason.

My wife tells me it was 34°C in Melbourne - I'm suppose to leave in 3 weeks but there's a few minor health concerns that might delay that. We'll be into November, a balmy -5°C or so would be typical here. Warm weather should be nice.
  • 10-17-2006, 03:48 PM
    tin ear
    I knew that, Kex (I did, really) -- I work in land surveying, so ya know... This laptop doesn't have a keypad, tho. S'pos ta simulate it with the fn key, but... well somehow VBulletin isn't picking that up. When it dumps you out, you lose everything you've typed. :17:

Hey Basite. Remember I told you what we pay for Chimay? Found out today that's for 1/2 liter. :yikes: Good news is, it's closer to 7 than 8 EU. :rolleyes: Know any Trappists who want to emigrate? Maybe cheaper that way.....

edit: Wait, I must be converting wrong -- must be 3/4 liter -- you get two glasses out of the bottle.