Forum Regular

What is the difference between synthetic and real diamonds?

There are many great answers here, all showing major differences between natural and synthetic diamonds. However, I would like to add another difference which has not been mentioned in any of the top answers and I expect it should.

A natural diamond has been deep underground for thousands of years. They have been shielded by the sun for a very long time, and so the carbon atoms are mostly of the carbon-12 type. Synthetic diamonds are made from any sort of carbon that has been laying around on the surface of Earth for a while, coming from trees, fish, or a house. Exposed to the sun, they have absorbed more neutrons and thus have a significantly higher carbon-13 content than natural diamonds.

Forum Regular
    Hello. I really love jewelry. It seems to me that if it were my will, I would buy up all the jewelry in the world and also make them for all the resources of the world. I recently bought myself a pair of pave diamond stud earrings with all the money I've been saving for a long time. Whatever you understand, I could not stop admiring them for about an hour. I'm starting to feel like it's some kind of drug for me. This is great!

Thread Information