Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nightflier

How did you come by your online name?

OK, I'm not sure if this has been the topic of a thread yet, but there are a lot of online names here that must have some hidden meaning or an inside joke. Where did "Sir Terence the Terrible" get his name or what does "Nabstentia" mean? I selected Nightflier 'cause I was listeing to Rush's Fly By Night album when I signed on for the first time.

So why did you select your online name? Or was it selected for you? Just wondering.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    OK, I'm not sure if this has been the topic of a thread yet, but there are a lot of online names here that must have some hidden meaning or an inside joke. Where did "Sir Terence the Terrible" get his name or what does "Nabstentia" mean? I selected Nightflier 'cause I was listeing to Rush's Fly By Night album when I signed on for the first time.

So why did you select your online name? Or was it selected for you? Just wondering.
    Brother Nightflier,
    Cool thread man!Mines just my name with an 'O' after it, cause it made it mexican and I was doing a mexican character in a play at the time I was registering. Pretty dumb, but, well.....

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Mine's not cool at all. Way back in the early days of the internet (for me at least, circa 1996), I logged into an on-line sports forum/newsgroup to pass some free time.
    I needed a name so the on-line generator took my initials, asked me what my favorite book of the Bible was (I just picked the first that came to mind, never really though what may favorite was) and Lo and Behold...God said, let there be Kexodusc.
    God saw the Kexodusc, that it was good.

I've just hung on to it ever since.

Funny enough, I've run into 2 other Kexodusc users in the 10 years since...

Horn lover
    My name says it all.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal Blacksmith
    My name says it all.
    COOL! You're a real-life blacksmith! Are you kidding or are you for real? Whaddaya listen to?(Horn?I'm guessing trombone or biugel or summat? You like Fats Walle?)

Harken vile swine!!!

My name was handed down to my Father by the Klingon High Counsel in the Great Hall on the Klingon Home World Kronos... and it has ever been thus...

LOL Actually, I tried to get Worf back in the early days of AOL, you know when they were third behind Compuserve and Prodigy, but it kept saying it was "taken try another". So finally in desperation I added a 101 to the end and have been too lazy to change it ever since. It's kinda like inertia. Once people know you by a handle, it's real hard to shake. Nice thread though...

Da Worfster

Back in the early 90's I was registering for a hotmail name. I wanted to be Maggot cause I'm basically a slob, but there was none left so I took Wireworm which is the larvae of a beetle, a maggot just the same. I've been Wireworm5 ever since.

Forum Regular
    Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ude......youre a pulp fiction
    fan too!!!!!!!!!!!! Put ér there partner

Man, the more I see of this site, the more i love it and the people that visit it!!
    Rock on dudes

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    I'm a cyclist and years back had a Cannondale with a headshok fork. There ya go,shokhead.
    Look & Listen

Great thread

It's cool to learn all this about you guys. Sorry to say that mine is just as boring as it looks. It's my name. Duh. But I can share a funny story as to why the G is there.

Once upon a time, in a land far far away. A young boy was born. And although his parents had decided to call him Michael George ......., when the doc asked mom what the name would be, she responded with George Michael. OK, easy mistake. But not only did they not change it, they called him Michael anyhow. So for years, this young man grew up thinking his name was Michael. One day, in junior high, the homeroom teacher called roll for the first day of a new school year. This was the first day for lil' Michael in JR. The teacher yelled out his last name and then George. Lil' Michael starting looking around the room thinking that maybe some long lost relative was in his class. Alas, no one raised their hand. Must be out today. Maybe he'll be in tomorrow. But lil' Michael's name was not called. He asked the teacher why. The teacher proclaimed that he did call his name. See? Here you are. George! Non no, my name is Michael. "Says here that your name is George. " Lil' Michael looked the teacher in the eye, and said, "How stupid do I look? Don't you think I know my own name?" Imagine my surprise.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    George Michael weren't you arrested once? I read about it in the tabloids.

My name is simply my first and middle names. After all SpankingVanillaIce was already taken.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    George Michael weren't you arrested once? I read about it in the tabloids.

My name is simply my first and middle names. After all SpankingVanillaIce was already taken.
    Three times. But who's counting?

He's gone. Doesn't even post on his own site anymore. Maybe he moved in with the mystery guy.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I was tired, imagine that! Chose mine when Yahoo launched free email. Back then you couldn't choose capital letters in your name so I used a zero. Haven't run into another yet.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    When I first found this site back in '99 or '00, I was at the tail end of a lounge music phase supplemented by old b-movies with groovy soundtracks like Dean Martin's Matt Helm flicks (kind of a poor man's James Bond). I picked a song title first - that'samore - but when the AR system changed and I had to register, AR wouldn't take the apostrophe in my screen name so I had to change it. One of my sons was in the habit of using "_", which he called "underscore", in all his passwords and onscreen monikers. I chose Dean Martin because it was a natural change from that'samore. Then I thought dean underscore martin had a nice ring to it.

Kam
    mine's boring... its a nickname of mine, basically a shorter version of my full name.
    dull.
    /create

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Long, long time ago...

...when TtT was simply Terrence and Norb ruled the roost, I was not yet the loser I was to become...This place wasn't all warm and fuzzy like it is now...it was a digital Dodge City...you couldn't say kumquat and not get involved in a flame war...Oh! the fun we had...Nomex undies anyone? RGA? Florian? Childs play...JR, mtrycrafts and Eyespy...now you're talkin"...

Some of us used erudite and somewhat sophisticated banter in these exchanges, while others, er...shall we say those less enabled, relied on barnyard language and school-yard name calling as was befitting of their station and abilities...

One such useless piece-of-protoplasm, who would oftimes engage me, constantly used the term loser, as though such simpletonian tactics would have some sort of effect on my ability to respond...consequently I chose to adopt my current nom de QWERTY as a self-deprecating and pre-emptive measure...The rationale being: If I refer to myself as a loser, what can you possibly say that would further demean me?

I mean I could have used "Stinking_steaming_pile_of_$h!t" as a moniker, but (a) It's too long (b) The powers that be (or at least their software) might take exception to it and (c) Using non-alphanumeric characters tends to reduce the intended effect IMO.

jimHJJ(...and now you know the rest of the story...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

nightflier
    Someone said this thread should include why people choose their pic. After all, mine does not have anything to do with a white owl.

I chose Clint, 'cause I'm a big fan of spaghetti Westerns, and he epitomizes the genre. And also because I'm impressed with the movies he's done since: Pale Rider, Unforgiven, Bloodwork, Million Dollar Baby, etc.; although Honky Tonk, Bridges, and Rookie... could have gone straight to video, or the recycle bin, IMO.

PCI are the initials of my father's company and I find when I need to come up with a screen name for this or that, it's not taken, and of course, easy for me to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Mine's not cool at all. Way back in the early days of the internet (for me at least, circa 1996), I logged into an on-line sports forum/newsgroup to pass some free time.
    I needed a name so the on-line generator took my initials, asked me what my favorite book of the Bible was (I just picked the first that came to mind, never really though what may favorite was) and Lo and Behold...God said, let there be Kexodusc.
    God saw the Kexodusc, that it was good.

I've just hung on to it ever since.

Funny enough, I've run into 2 other Kexodusc users in the 10 years since...
    Trippy…I never noticed exodus in your name before. For some reason, I saw "usc" and thought maybe he went there. Now I see the light. No more shell fish for me.

Pretty obvious in my case

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier

I'm lover of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarilian, etc.. Feanor is a character from the Silmarilian; a leader of Elves and a brilliant but flawed artist, craftsman, and inventor.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I'm lover of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarilian, etc.. Feanor is a character from the Silmarilian; a leader of Elves and a brilliant but flawed artist, craftsman, and inventor.

I am also a lover of those works. I have read the trilogy more times than I would care to admit. I am sad when it ends because I get so involved with the characters. Good choice for an online name.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

cam
    Mine is pretty simple, it's my son's name. He's by far my best pal (in the whole wide world) so I stole his identity. My real name is Steve. My avatar is a snickering dog. My son liked it because it moved, so I used it. You would almost think my son was the boss. Well, he likes to think so sometimes.

Mine is a term used in film projection. It is a lens which magnifies by a factor of two in the horizontal plane. It is used to unsqueeze the image on a CinemaScope film back to it's original aspect ratio of 2.35:1

The 96 represents the year I started in the cinema industry and started projection training. I still can't believe it's been ten years. My how the years fly by.

nightflier
    Feanor,

I hope this is not a reference to his fiery, vengeful spirit. Or maybe there is a Nerdanel around to even things out?

It's not a moniker, it's a lifestyle. I'm a gearhead first, an audio guy second. If it has wheels and a motor, I'm all over it. From mod'd 996 tt's to race prepped crotch rockets, I'm into it. No rice tho, thank you. These days, two young 'uns combined with the reality that I don't like my knees in my chest all day anymore have forced the sale of my bikes. However, though I am more cautious, I'm not dead. Therefore, there are two child's seats in the back of my M3 whereas I promptly answer the calls from the Captain (i.e. my 4 yr old) when he orders, "Engage Hyperdrive!"

The pic is an unfettered M3 at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by paul
    Trippy…I never noticed exodus in your name before. For some reason, I saw "usc" and thought maybe he went there.
    You're not alone. I asked KC the same question a few years ago.

Oh yeah, Fight On!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information