Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

here's the thing about the Flyers...

...it's not so much that you can write them off completely despite the 0-and-5 start...but losing to your own farm club is beyond borderline suck-a-tude. Wasn't last season supposed to be thier "rebuilding" year?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    ...it's not so much that you can write them off completely despite the 0-and-5 start...but losing to your own farm club is beyond borderline suck-a-tude. Wasn't last season supposed to be thier "rebuilding" year?
    They're a young team with a lot of injuries. Let's give them a little time.

But how bout the stinkin Cowboys are getting their hats handed to them by the St Louis Rams. 34-7 last time I checked.

So I took the bait.

Yeah, they don't look so hot, but the loss to the Phantoms was nothing of note. It was an exhibition and there was basically no hitting of any kind going on, so that's not an issue.

I watched the Rangers tag them with a 4-0 lead on home ice, but then the Flyers scored 3 in a row to make it a game. And they lost in OT to the Pens on their ice, and another OT game the other day. It's not the end of the world and I think they'll get back on track soon. At least I hope so.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    If they could just put Biron back on the juice and get Briere to quit diving, I mean, falling down every time he gets touched, they'd be half way there.

They'll be fine. They might lose a coach in the short term, but expectations are high this year, many picked them to finish 3rd in the conference after years of stocking up on high draft picks who should have breakout years. The first few weeks of the season is usually an anomaly anyway.

My name is Luca...I fell on the second score

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Yeah, they don't look so hot, but the loss to the Phantoms was nothing of note. It was an exhibition and there was basically no hitting of any kind going on, so that's not an issue.
    Did we watch the same game? They replayed this on Fox Sports Central the other night at about 4:00a.m. and the announcers were positively gleeful at pointing out each and every time a Phantom steamrolled a Flyer.

It's not that there wasn't any hitting going on, it's that the big boys were getting rocked outta their lederhosen. Clearly, the Legion of Doom days are long gone...forget the Broadstreet Bullies.

Quote Originally Posted by Antero NittySwish
    I watched the Rangers tag them with a 4-0 lead on home ice, but then the Flyers scored 3 in a row to make it a game. And they lost in OT to the Pens on their ice, and another OT game the other day. It's not the end of the world and I think they'll get back on track soon. At least I hope so.
    Stevens needs to stop juggling the offensive lines which has resulted in nothing more than disrupting any kind of chemistry that might develop. Ol' boy needs to address the fact that their D-corp looks like the chorus line in a high-school Finnish version of La Cage Aux Folles.

Swish
    I actually thought that they looked pretty good against The Habs, and deserved a better fate, especially considering the state of their defence at the moment. With Richards, Carter, Briere and a healthy Gagne they should be fine.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Tell me, what is this 'hockey'?

So damn close...

What a sweet return to the City of Brotherly Love for Mon seigneur Roenick.

Only 76 more games 'til golf season.

Talk about ripping your heart out.

So damn close...

What a sweet return to the City of Brotherly Love for Mon seigneur Roenick.

Only 76 more games 'til golf season.
    3 games go to OT, including that one, and they lose in a crappy shoot-out.

Crap!

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Crap!

Swish
    Seems like once again the Flyers are looking for a goalie. Marty Biron's fairy tale ended in the playoffs last year and he's looking once again like the full-time backup he probably should be.

These guys are really missing Jason Smith's defensive positioning, but even he'd only play 24 minutes of hockey.

I can't figure out why they're this bad? They should be, and were predicted by most noteworthy sources, to be no less than a Cup contender and top 3 in the East conference.

At least there's lots of time to turn it around so no need to panic. Why has Daniel Briere been playing on the wing?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Crap!

Swish
    I feel your pain. Leafs are 0-3 for shootouts this year. They even pulled Toskala and put Curtis Joseph in net for the shootout on Tuesday and they still lost it.

Having said that, they may be losing but I'm seeing them play harder and with more heart than I've seen in years. Maybe not having Sundin to rely on will be a blessing in disguise. One can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I can't figure out why they're this bad?
    They looked good when they crashed the net last night...and found some success too. There's been some tentative play by the forwards, especially the first few games but a big part of that has come from a lack of strong first passing plays.

They're not advancing very well initially out of their own zone and it shouldn't be that surprising. Look at the defensive depth chart on the team that was "supposed to be a cup contender". Randy Jones, Hatcher, Modry, Rathje, Parent, and Smith all not playing for one reason or another.

They'll get better as some the chemistry clicks---and clearly I'm just givin' Swishy some heat---but no team is going very far with the Kiimo Timmonen show as its mainstay.

They looked good when they crashed the net last night...and found some success too. There's been some tentative play by the forwards, especially the first few games but a big part of that has come from a lack of strong first passing plays.

They're not advancing very well initially out of their own zone and it shouldn't be that surprising. Look at the defensive depth chart on the team that was "supposed to be a cup contender". Randy Jones, Hatcher, Modry, Rathje, Parent, and Smith all not playing for one reason or another.

They'll get better as some the chemistry clicks---and clearly I'm just givin' Swishy some heat---but no team is going very far with the Kiimo Timmonen show as its mainstay.
    Ooh, I don't know. Timmonen is a solid, offensive producing, puck moving D-man in the Zubov, Schneider, Neidermeyer mold...He's not a big physical presence of course, but doesn't have to be. If he was North American he'd be a superstar instead of just very good.
    He's the least of their problems.
    I dare say that Marty Biron's stellar 5.00 GAA and stingy .840 save % are 99% of the reason why this team is underachieving. He's just not sharp, wonder if he's injured? It's not like he's getting beat with incredible goals all night either.

At some point your goalie has to steal the wins for you, so the team knows it can play with swagger and confidence, that their goalie will bail them out if they turn the puck over. He was doing that in the playoffs last year. He's not doing it now and you can see the nervousness in the Flyers' play.
    When you're down early and often, it forces you to totally change the game plan, play catch-up hockey, loosen the defence, and hope for the hail mary. Even bad teams can play good with a 2 goal lead most nights.

A bad goalie in the NHL stops 2 more goals every night than Biron is right now. Once he gets his game back, the wins will come.

Kex, I agree with you 100%, absolutely about the goalie situation. I didn't focus on Biron enough so whether he was favoring anything orotherwise physically tepid.

Don't believe the hype. Timmonen ain't worthy of sharpening Zubov's blades now...mush less ten years ago.

No love for Timmonen, huh? Well, no matter, they still haven't recovered the heart and grit that left the team when Primeau was forced to retire. Until they address that, any questions on the ability to create offense from the back end is academic.
    Carter and Richards might fill that gap someday...but not for awhile yet.

Big question - is Vanek gonna hit 50 goals, and how good is that Semin kid?

What about a Switch?

I became so frustrated with our hometeam, the much maligned Leafs, that I snapped around this time last year and changed jerseys forever!!

I still need to support a canadian team, so I thought about it and figured I have dibs on The Habs (even though throughout my entire childhood and teenage years I despised them) since my daughter attends university in that province. The final decision to switch has made hockey interesting and passionate again.

Certainly, you have some other PA, team to pledge allegiance? I know, I know, it's heresy; but, hey, trust me, you'll feel so much better after you did.

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    I still need to support a canadian team, so I thought about it and figured I have dibs on The Habs (even though throughout my entire childhood and teenage years I despised them) since my daughter attends university in that province.
    Oh Bill! How could you? I'd accept any other team. Heck, the Sens are at least still in the same province. But the Habs?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    any other team. But the Habs?
    Yeah I know. It just goes to show you how much I snapped and how fargone the Toronto Maple Leafs are. It was just too painful to watch.

Oh Bill! How could you? I'd accept any other team. Heck, the Sens are at least still in the same province. But the Habs?
    I love when you Toronto-types profess such a deep-seated hatred of The Habs - they really must be doing something right. See the Leafs raise nothing more than indifference from me - too insignificant for to long to work up any sort of hatred.

Although I don't understand your sentiments Bill, as I'm a "with-your-team-through-tick-and-thin" kind of guy, (I am a long-surffering Vikings fan, and could NEVER cheer for another NFL team), on behalf of all the Habs fans around the world, welcome aboard bud. (Hey, we even have Tom Kostopolous.)
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Yeah, but be careful. Some of them carrry Lyme Disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    I'm a "with-your-team-through-tick-and-thin" kind of guy

Swish

I love when you Toronto-types profess such a deep-seated hatred of The Habs - they really must be doing something right. See the Leafs raise nothing more than indifference from me - too insignificant for to long to work up any sort of hatred.
    It's all in jest. I don't really care. It's just fun to pick on the Habs because Habs fans are so passionate and I like to see them get all worked up. It's like me ribbing Swish when the Flyers lose. I couldn't care less about the loss. It's just fun to get under Swishy's skin.

BTW, I have several friends who are Habs fans and their disdain for the Leafs runs deep.

It's all in jest. I don't really care. It's just fun to pick on the Habs because Habs fans are so passionate and I like to see them get all worked up. It's like me ribbing Swish when the Flyers lose. I couldn't care less about the loss. It's just fun to get under Swishy's skin.

BTW, I have several friends who are Habs fans and their disdain for the Leafs runs deep.
    I hate both teams...Toronto a little more obviously because their fans are a bit more obnoxious, but Habs fans are really bad. For years they've been hiding in their basement, publicly professing their disinterest for the sport and how the game is boring now (when what they really meant was their team sucked for over a decade). Then all of a sudden the band wagon is riding full again.
    At least a retarded Leafs fan cheers for their team loud and proud even though they know they suck. And as a Senators fan, I'm starting to understand what it's like to be a Leafs fan this year...

BTW, if anyone's got a spare goalie they're not using, please call Brian at (613) 599-0250

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I hate both teams...Toronto a little more obviously because their fans are a bit more obnoxious, but Habs fans are really bad. For years they've been hiding in their basement, publicly professing their disinterest for the sport and how the game is boring now (when what they really meant was their team sucked for over a decade). Then all of a sudden the band wagon is riding full again.
    At least a retarded Leafs fan cheers for their team loud and proud even though they know they suck. And as a Senators fan, I'm starting to understand what it's like to be a Leafs fan this year...

BTW, if anyone's got a spare goalie they're not using, please call Brian at (613) 599-0250
    Hey, at least Leafs fans don't set cars on fire as a show of celebration!

and...AND...We've never boo'd the Star Spangled Banner either.

Yeah, but be careful. Some of them carrry Lyme Disease.
    No you mis-hunderstand me - I mean "tick", the french-Canadian version of the word "thick"

No you mis-hunderstand me
    LMAO.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information