Thread: Track day

Track day

Haven't been around these parts lately but I've been looking forward to this for a little while now so I thought I'd share it. I'm heading up to Paris (about 6 hours drive) with a friend to have a little fun on the track. The nominated machines are the Porsche 997 GT3
    Track day-porsche-911-997-gt3-2006-795867.jpg

Lamborghini Gallardo
    Name:  lamborghini-gallardo.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  21.7 KB

and Ferrari F-430
    Track day-ferrari-f430-rear.jpg

respectively. I nearly wet myself experiencing 300 ponies in a 2006 Subaru WRX STi on the local mountain pass and cannot imagine what it will be to have more on tap on the track.
    I'll let you know how it went Greetings to you all

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Wow! That sounds like fun. Enjoy...and drive safe.

What a great day! Either you have wealthy friends or you signed up for one of those gigs where you get to try a handful of exotics (something I've been hankerin' to do.) Either way, should make for one heck of an experience. I've heard the GT3 is a beast at the track with brakes that flat refuse to fade. I'm on vacation right now, but I'll try to stop by in a few weeks when I get back to see how your experience was. Post pics!

Drive fast. Drive safe. Always run out of bravery before you run out of talent.

I'll just weep myself to sleep!

Have a great time!

$*&@#!?*&!

Charm Thai™
    The F-430 always makes me a little moist in the pants...totally radical motor vehicle

You, know, sho, I was okay with that...until I saw your &$%@!*^ng avatar!

Something to drool over: New Ferrari 458 Italia (replaces F430)

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Something to drool over: New Ferrari 458 Italia (replaces F430)

That is a nice lookin' Ferrari.

Ferrari are so hit and miss for me, but this is a nice one for sure.

I thought it might be time to report back. Sorry for the wait.

Well, it was an experience I should say, good and bad. Good because I was able to taste what 500 horses had to offer, and bad because sadly it won't happen very often.

More specifically, I felt the event a little too industrial, lacking the personal attention I had imagined. First off, I thought the briefing would be held in a room and would last half an hour to an hour, with many specifics and open questions. Not so. But at least it took place in a C63 AMG Merc. My God!! What a brute that engine is! Imagine what unlimited torque feels like... then you get the picture Kidding aside, we were taken around this 'track' as passengers while the driver coached us about the braking points, apex locations etc etc..
    Problem is, I was simply too overwhelmed by what was happening that I only registered very little! Oh well... This lasted three laps then we were free to wait in the different lines according to which cars we had planned to drive (you have to make reservation and agree on the car you want to drive and the no. of laps).
    I say 'track' because it wasn't a proper track. There's an oval with a few bends inside which make up the track. Fact is, it's not used as a track on a normal day but for people who want to improve their driving skills in dangerous conditions (e.g. learning to brake if a kids suddenly runs on to the road).
    The track itself was very narrow with few straights, and short to boot, which means there was no way of unleashing the cars' potential.

I had chosen 3 laps in the Porsche, 4 in the Ferrari and 3 in the Lambo. Fortunately, I quickly had it changed to 4 in the Lambo when I arrived at the event as the Lambos were actually 'Superleggera' and 'Le Mans' editions of the Gallardo. In other words, less weight and more power! (and more noise...)

Both the Ferrari and Lambo had clutchless gear-shifts while the GT3 was a 6 speed manual. I was eager to have at some heel and toeing! However, as I didn't know the track well and felt I didn't want to have to mess with the manual gearbox, I decided to jump in the Ferrari first. Interestingly enough it was by far the least enjoyable ride. Reasons being the handful it is to drive (particularly its super responsiveness in any gear), the relatively useless instructor and the fact that it was my first drive on the track. There was no headroom too. I felt claustrophobic.
    Entering the GT3 was like a breath of fresh air. Endless headroom, interior wasn't cramped and great visibility! That was just the start, driving it was a blast! It was a lot less of a handful, but still very quick! The fact is I was concentrating a lot more on the track because I wasn't messing with the gears like I was in the Ferrari. Oh, I didn't have the instructor telling me to shift gears when I had barely past the 4000RPM mark like I had in the Ferrari (peak power at 8000RPM anyone?)
    Anyhow, the young instructor in the Porsche was very helpful and even had me as a passenger for one lap for free! (that's easily 50 bucks for two laps as a passenger).
    I still had the Lambo to drive so we both got in the 'Le Mans' edition Gallardo. At first I wanted to drive the Superleggera but he insisted that the Le Mans was just as good and easier to drive. I can't remember much of the drive other than I know I had the ESP going on a couple times in a tight bend... Oh, and the noise coming out of the exhaust at 6000RPM Not to mention the roar as I down-shifted at the end of the straight! Absolutely brilliant!!

It all went so quick though. I won't say I regretted splashing out on this, is was worth it! I'm eager to do it again, in more civilised cars. In metaphoric terms, I can safely say that it felt like mowing the lawn with a chainsaw.

ps; i may post pics later
    Last edited by audio amateur; 08-14-2009 at 09:04 AM.

It's hard to think of a better day than one spent at the track with a handful of exciting cars Sounds like you had a great time...and really, how could you not?

As much as I missed a stick when I had the SMG in the M3, I have to admit that on a track, especially one that you are unfamiliar with, "flappy paddles" (as Jeremy Clarkson labels them) are a Godsend. You can concentrate on your line and braking points instead of making that money shift from 4 to 2. For the life of me, I can't understand why your "instructor" wanted you to shift at 4k in the 430. The throttle is much easier to modulate in the upper rev band, which is likely why it felt so touchy. It's your money, you should be allowed to drive the cars the way they were designed to be.

Anywho, glad to hear you enjoyed it. Post pics if you get a chance.

Thread Information