Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Feanor

Thread: SSD Drive or Laptop

SSD Drive for Laptop

If any one is looking or a very fast SSD for their laptop or desk top one of the fastest and top rated 256gb drives is on sale for $149 with free shipping from B&H photo. It comes with a 10yr warranty where as most others are 3 years. I just bought one for my son.

Samsung 256GB 850 PRO Series SATA 2.5" SSD MZ-7KE256BW B&H

For you gamers out there it comes with a free download of the Assasin's Creed Unity.
    Last edited by blackraven; 11-27-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Sounds like a reasonably good deal, (though buying from B&H is expensive for me living in Canada because their shipping is expensive and there will be taxes and maybe duty on top of that).

I wish I better understood the optimal use SSDs.

For Canadian shoppers, I see that TigerDirect.ca is offering an ADATA SP600 256GB SSD for C$95 or a Samsung 84O EVO 256GB for C$150.

Right now I'm seriously considering a new desktop. I don't play 3D games so I doubt I need super power; my most intensive application is likely to be Photoshop Elements. I'm wondering whether an upper mid range CPU, say an AMD FX-8350 or an Intel Core i5-4690, would be enough. Also, whether integrated graphs would be sufficient with the Photoshop Elements, or separate card would be noticeably better.

Bill, you can get the same deal from Amazon. We bought from B&H because we have to pay sales tax on Amazon purchases here in Minnesota..

The EVo 840 is a good HD, we were going to buy it for $129 until we found the Evo Pro which has a 10 year warranty while the 840 only comes with a 3yr. Read the reviews, the Pro is much better and its architecture is better and more reliable. The SSD's are nice because window's starts right up and programs open up instantly.

I would go with that I5 4690, it is an excellent processor and should be able to run any thing you throw at it. It would be especially good for gaming. You could step down to a lower I5 for your needs but the 4690 (the 4690K is even better) would be some future proofing though. A good mid priced AMD radeon video card (HD 7770)for about $100 would handle things well but I bet the integrated graphics would be fine.

Best Entry-Level Graphics Cards: $130 and Under - Best Graphics Cards For The Money: November 2014

If you want to save money and go with a good processor with integrated graphic's then take a look at the AMD A10 7850K which is equal to a good I3

AMD A10-7850K Review & Rating | PCMag.com
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I would go with that I5 4690, it is an excellent processor and should be able to run any thing you throw at it. It would be especially good for gaming. You could step down to a lower I5 for your needs but the 4690 (the 4690K is even better) would be some future proofing though. A good mid priced AMD radeon video card (HD 7770)for about $100 would handle things well but I bet the integrated graphics would be fine.

Best Entry-Level Graphics Cards: $130 and Under - Best Graphics Cards For The Money: November 2014

If you want to save money and go with a good processor with integrated graphic's then take a look at the AMD A10 7850K which is equal to a good I3

AMD A10-7850K Review & Rating | PCMag.com
    Good advice; the Core i5 is popular for good reason.

I'm torn between i5-4690(K) and the AMD 8 core FX-8320 or 8350. I have had a number of AMD processor machines and have always found them reliable. (BTW, my problem with my 6 yo desktop seems to be with its NVIDIA bios.) These 8 core FX outperform all but the very top i5's (4690K) and are cheaper. The AMD A series is interesting but comes up well short of the 8 core FX devices; I feel the A10 is a bit over priced though it sidesteps the graphics issue.

A small problem with the FX is that there are a relatively limited number of Mobos with integrated graphics.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Since we had coolest summer on record this year, I was wondering how winter will shape up. So far if it is any indication, we are headed for a hard winter
    sani

UPDATE

I got my new PC, i.e. I built from parts:

• Inter i5-4690K CPU
    • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI motherboard
    • 1 TB hard drive which I partitioned C: 550 GB and E: 450 GB
    • 8 GB RAM
    • 1 TB HDD
    • Windows 8.1 64 bit

It's assembled and working well at this point. I'm using AVG Free anti-virus and Chrome for my browser. So far I've also installed Adobe Reader and 7Zip.

Charm Thai™
    Nice job Feanor. I eventually want to build one for myself too but my desktop I bought in 2009 is still running strong so I can't justify splurging yet.

I have a little 11.6 in laptop and I swapped the 500gb hard drive with a 160gb (I think that's the size) SSD. It seems like it boots up and shuts down faster but because i mostly use it for internet browsing and torrent downloading I don't notice any performance differences.

Suspended
    Although bootup time is reduced to seconds with a SSD, not all laptops allow you to swap them in. Also in most cases, they are not very large.

I have been procrastinating for some time now, but just orders a nice ASUS F555LA-AH51 16-Inch Laptop (Intel Core i5 Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive)

Also has a CD/DVD drive where many newer lighter laptops now eliminate an optical drive.

Nice rigs Feanor and Hyfi.

SSD drives won't help much for web browsing. They will boot up Windows almost immediately, especially Windows 8. They will also open up programs faster. Your web browser should open up faster. For lap tops you will get a little more battery life, especially with the Samsung Pro and Evo SSD's as they use about 0.3 watts at idle.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP