Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

off topic -- digital camera purchase

My old KODAK digital camera flipped out beyond repair -- I thought it sucked anyway.

So now I'm in the market for a new one and I am asking for your advice.

My wife wants to get another KODAK because we have the dock and the software already (the so-called "EasyShare" system).

I think that I should avoid the KODAK since their crappy product did not hold up for us the first time.

Please provide me some pointers....................thanks.

I am using an Olympus for the last 3 years in all conditions and it has never failed me. The lens is the important bit. I think you're better off with any model from the big Camera manufacturers than a Kodak,etc.
    I still prefer 35 mm though for serious shooting.

Hope this helps

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    MC, I have a Canon that I bought in early 2002. It's obsolete by today's standards, but still takes fantastic pictures. I've travelled with it, bounced it around in backpacks and suitcases and it's never failed me. It uses standard AA batteries so I can carry extras and I never have to worry about my rechargable battery dying.

I did a lot of research before buying this one and ended up purchasing it at a camera shop as opposed to a big box store. The people that I spoke to in various camera shops told me to stick with the names that are known for cameras (i.e. Canon, Pentax, Nikon). Their thoughts on Kodak and Fuji was that they made good film but ****ty cameras. Now that was four years ago, so things might have improved since then.

I've been considering upgrading mine to something with more megapixels and I would be hard pressed to buy anything other than another Canon. I've been very happy with mine.

As for software, if you buy an independant software package like Corel or Adobe Photoshop, you can use it with any camera. I just picked up the Corel software for $30 cdn after rebates.

Forum Regular
    I use a Canon digital EOS 300, I think they call it the Rebel overseas, it's now replaced by the 350 I believe which now has 8.2 megapixels and as usual it's cheaper! It's an SLR which I chose because I already had some EOS lenses. It gives fantastic pictures, good rechargeable battery, the inbuilt flash is ok for indoors but most of all it has never let me down. You'll get picture quality that's good enough arguably for semi-pro work. I picked mine up from Amazon who at the time was easily the best deal around. The Canon software is ok but Paint Shop Pro 8 is usually my first choice for tweaking pictures.

If you want to go for an SLR then be prepared to carry around a bulky (but fairly lightweight) camera where as if you go for a compact you'll have something far lighter and it will probably fit into your shirt pocket, It all depends what you want to use it for. On the face of it they might offer the same megapixels and quality - but they don't.

I too would go for a brand name, something from Nikon, Canon, Pentx or Olympus, one thing for sure the SLR will last you a long long time, my last one a Pentax I bought in the early 80's.

Cheers
    Mike

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I also have the Canon Powershot A### (5Mp). Very good optics for a point and shoot. Uses AA batteries which is a big plus. The AA NiMH rechargeables are great, very available, and much less expensive than the specialty-goofy-shape batteries. A little clunky shaped but is very ergonomic for big hands.

Forum Regular
    Most cameras are going to come with their own software now and will come with USB to go to your computer no dock needed.
    I have a Sony entry level. It is easy to use after loading the software which is idiot-proof, when the camera is attached via USB to the computer it does the load up automatically.
    The optical zoom is not great through. good for vacation etc. but not photography.

Digital cameras are advancing at an insane rate. 3 year old cameras are WAY behind already.

Last fall I bought a Canon 20D. It's a prosumer 8.2MP SLR. An amazing machine. $1200 for the body and a cheap zoom lens tho. Pricy and bulky, but I am ecstatic with it. It has rejuvenated my photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/6315679...7594057140125/ It has already paid for itself.

MC, if you want a walk around camera for snapshooting I can't help you with specifics BUT there are things to think about and look for:

5MP is plenty big for snapshots. You can print excellent 8x10s with 5MP. Bigger prints get chunky, but when was the last time you printed bigger than 8x10?

Lens is more important tham MP. Get the deepest and highest quality zoom you can afford.

Don't sweat the connectors. The connection to computer is easy with any of the majors. Every camera will come with a new dock/connection system anyway, even a Kodak. Don't feel stuck with Kodak.

Many of the smaller cameras don't even have viewfinders anymore. They simply use the LCD screen for you to compose the shot with. Viewfinders are overrated and using the LCD makes the camera technically an SLR- no paralax. I'm rambling: Get the biggest, clearest, brightest LCD you can find.

Find a camera with a smart flash. Many cheaper digicams have flashes that tend to blow out in close conditions because it only has one setting: 100%. Smart flashes will cut the intensity of the flash for the conditions. Makes for fool proof indoor people shots.

Look for a camera with no shutter delay. Many cheap digicams have a pause between when you press the button and when it actually takes the shot. Utterly useless for action shots.

Modern cameras are much easier on batteries. You should be albe to at least shoot all day (at least a hundred frames) without changing the battery.

A buddy of mine has a Sony camera that's about the size of a pack of smokes, but half as thick. The entire back of the camera is an LCD screen. 5MP images, a longish zoom and the flash is smart. It takes awesome pix, especially out in the sunlight with no flash. He's had it for 3 years now and it's been bulletproof. It was $500 3 years ago. It's the best point and shoot camera I've ever seen. I think this is the current version of it:

http://tinyurl.com/rt6qa

Bernd, I have to tell you, buy a unit like the 20D and your 35mm outfit will collect dust. 8.2 MP is a much bigger and tighter image than you can scan from 35. Been there, done that. 8.2MP = medium format in film. I just did 17 16x24 prints from the 20D and they are simply stunning. I've never been happy with a print that size from 35mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy

http://tinyurl.com/rt6qa

Bernd, I have to tell you, buy a unit like the 20D and your 35mm outfit will collect dust. 8.2 MP is a much bigger and tighter image than you can scan from 35. Been there, done that. 8.2MP = medium format in film. I just did 17 16x24 prints from the 20D and they are simply stunning. I've never been happy with a print that size from 35mm.
    Hi Troy,

I have been waiting for your input. I am not quite sure how to move forward. My Olympus Digital camera is fine but not a patch on my Leica or the very old Hasselblad. Either I sell them all and go for a really high spec Digital camera or just stay here and buy an updated version of the Olympus. Glad it's not urgent.

Peace

Bernd

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Hi Troy,

I have been waiting for your input. I am not quite sure how to move forward. My Olympus Digital camera is fine but not a patch on my Leica or the very old Hasselblad. Either I sell them all and go for a really high spec Digital camera or just stay here and buy an updated version of the Olympus. Glad it's not urgent.

Peace

Bernd
    If price is no object look at the Canon 5D Pretty sure the 5D is the most advanced DSLR on the market. Check the specs:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/

Canon has their own proprietary sensor system called CMOS and it is the first sensor that can really do low-light long exposure work (like I do) with absolutely no noise. It's in all the Canon DSLRs.

Leica is out of business for a reason. Hassy is on the way out too. Film is the new 8-track. The only thing the topline digicams can't compte with is large format. A 4x5 image is eq to about 50MP. I give it 5 years and you will have that resolution available in DSLRs, tho the market for it would be very small and esoteric.

Many of the smaller cameras don't even have viewfinders anymore. They simply use the LCD screen for you to compose the shot with. Viewfinders are overrated and using the LCD makes the camera technically an SLR- no paralax. I'm rambling: Get the biggest, clearest, brightest LCD you can find.
    I almost never use my viewfinder. However, maybe the new cameras have better quality screens, but I find that in bright sunlight, I can't see my screen. If I'm shooting outdoors in the middle of the day, that viewfinder does come in handy.

Find a camera with a smart flash. Many cheaper digicams have flashes that tend to blow out in close conditions because it only has one setting: 100%. Smart flashes will cut the intensity of the flash for the conditions. Makes for fool proof indoor people shots.
    I would agree with this. My one complaint about my Canon is that the flash is too much. Unless it's really dark, the flash overexposes most shots and I find myself turning it off more often than leaving it on Auto. If I could set the flash default to "off" I would. It's not a problem now that I'm used to the camera and have a good feel for when I need the flash, but it was a real issue for me at first and I found myself taking all indoor shots twice, once with the flash and once without. The beauty of digital...I could delete the worse shot.

Troy, all your hints about the new technology is really making me want to upgrade. My camera is only 2.1MP. Which was the best I could get for under $1000 when I bought it. Yet at only 2.1MP, it takes great pics (I'm just a point and shoot kind of person) as long as I don't print them too large. I actually rarely print at all anymore.

If price is no object look at the Canon 5D Pretty sure the 5D is the most advanced DSLR on the market. Check the specs:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/

Canon has their own proprietary sensor system called CMOS and it is the first sensor that can really do low-light long exposure work (like I do) with absolutely no noise. It's in all the Canon DSLRs.

Leica is out of business for a reason. Hassy is on the way out too. Film is the new 8-track. The only thing the topline digicams can't compte with is large format. A 4x5 image is eq to about 50MP. I give it 5 years and you will have that resolution available in DSLRs, tho the market for it would be very small and esoteric.
    Thanks Troy. I also enjoy long exposure night time shooting (inspired by your book) and the Canon is very impressive. Once I convince my better half that I will need to have that camera I think a Birthday treat to myself is in order.
    Real shame about Leica. Not sure if I can part.

Bernd

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I almost never use my viewfinder. However, maybe the new cameras have better quality screens, but I find that in bright sunlight, I can't see my screen. If I'm shooting outdoors in the middle of the day, that viewfinder does come in handy.
    Yeah, it's a common complaint that the newer camers have adressed to a certain extent. The newer screens are larger and brighter. And cup your hand over it to sheild the sun!

My one complaint about my Canon is that the flash is too much. Unless it's really dark, the flash overexposes most shots and I find myself turning it off more often than leaving it on Auto. If I could set the flash default to "off" I would. It's not a problem now that I'm used to the camera and have a good feel for when I need the flash, but it was a real issue for me at first and I found myself taking all indoor shots twice, once with the flash and once without. The beauty of digital...I could delete the worse shot.
    Flash intensity is about distance. Less than 10 feet is hard for a flash to deal with and most will overcook the shot.

The chimping thing (huddling around the LCD going "Oooo, oooo") is the single best advance for digital photography for me. I grew up in a polaroid family. My dad was a roid user since the 50s. For the last 20+ years I've missed the instant gratification of image preview.

Troy, all your hints about the new technology is really making me want to upgrade. My camera is only 2.1MP. Which was the best I could get for under $1000 when I bought it. Yet at only 2.1MP, it takes great pics (I'm just a point and shoot kind of person) as long as I don't print them too large. I actually rarely print at all anymore.
    Just think how advanced the cameras will be in 3 MORE years!

Yeah, most people don't print hardly at all anymore and that's kinda sad. Online companes that print from your digital files like Shutterfly.com are really convenient and inexpensive for printing. I highly rec them to anyone. Their 4x6 prints are like 15 cents and are high quality photographic paper prints.

Forum Regular

wow

Excellent feedback -- thank you all.

I will begin cyber-shopping this afternoon.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Thanks Troy. I also enjoy long exposure night time shooting (inspired by your book) and the Canon is very impressive. Once I convince my better half that I will need to have that camera I think a Birthday treat to myself is in order.
    Real shame about Leica. Not sure if I can part.

Bernd
    A man and his Leica should never be parted. I am a Canon EOS 10D owner and have been very pleased with the camera. One day I would like the 5D. I have the L series 17-40 which is almost always on the camers. With that combination I have made some very nice 16x20 prints and that is with just 6.3 mega pixels. Canon is the way to go in my opinion.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    Excellent feedback -- thank you all.

I will begin cyber-shopping this afternoon.
    Let us know what you end up with and why. I'm starting to give serious thought to that upgrade thing....like this site wasn't costing me enough money just with CD and DVD purchases!

How do they do this???! Future Shop has the Corel Photo Album software on sale for $59.99 with a $60.00 rebate.

Lucky for me, I haven't opened the copy that I bought at Staples a couple of weeks ago which would have cost me $30 after rebates. Still a good deal but not as good as what I scored today.

I'm a bit late to the party, but for what it's worth...

I love my fairly new Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom that I bought last year. It's a big step up from my last Olympus in that it's much small, double the pixels (2 mega to 4 mega), but the best part is the 10X Optical Zoom.

I guess I just love Olympus and bought them based on consumer ratings/reviews, and have been very happy with them. I still have my old one and will probably sell it on e-bay or something since it's gathering dust right now.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular

purchase

Let us know what you end up with and why. I'm starting to give serious thought to that upgrade thing....like this site wasn't costing me enough money just with CD and DVD purchases!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you everyone for great input -- for a variety of reasons, mostly the preferences of my wife and daughter (they use the cameras much more than I ever will), I bought a SONY Cyber-Shot: 6 megapix, 2.5" LCD, very simple but yet, has most, if not all, of the features you guys recommended............................I got the camera and a 512 chip (holds 160 pics) for $250.

We have used it for about a dozen shots thus far and it is truly an amazing step up from the 3 megapix KODAK piece of crap that I originally told you about in the origins of this thread.

Thanks again.

Coooool

Forum Regular
    go Canon and go here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

music fanatic
    For anyone looking for a nice little point and shoot, Cannon's SXX's are hard to beat. I use my S30 for concert photos and just about everything else. There are enough manual controls to make the direct flash work in very low light conditions, and it fits in my pocket!

I'm not a big fan of the current S80, which doesn't have a RAW image mode, but the S70 is a great little manual point and shoot, and can be picked up for less than $400

I'm now starting to look seriously at upgrading. there seem to be a lot of sales and price drops on cameras right now. That usually means that a new generation is on it's way, but I can't imagine that I would ever need anything more advanced than what's available today for my vacation pic mentality. Can anyone comment on the Canon S3?

This is a little more than I wanted to spend, but this one has 12x optical zoom. And I do love my zoom lens for concert shots and wildlife/bird shots.

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001

I'd be delighted to comment on the Canon S3...

I'm now starting to look seriously at upgrading. there seem to be a lot of sales and price drops on cameras right now. That usually means that a new generation is on it's way, but I can't imagine that I would ever need anything more advanced than what's available today for my vacation pic mentality. Can anyone comment on the Canon S3?

This is a little more than I wanted to spend, but this one has 12x optical zoom. And I do love my zoom lens for concert shots and wildlife/bird shots.

..but I know nothing about it, so I won't.

Swish, at your service
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Hi FA,
    Can't comment on the model you have in mind. I took Troy's recomendation and treated myself as a birthday present to myself with the Canon EOS 5D. Man that is one brilliant camera. Still trying to figure it all out. Got it for a week now and lack of time and or ability are hindering my progress. But the pics I have taken are outstanding. But I have kept my Leica. Just couldn't bring myself to part. The Hasselblad is gone though.
    So in a word or three- go for it.

Peace

Bernd

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Hi FA,
    Can't comment on the model you have in mind. I took Troy's recomendation and treated myself as a birthday present to myself with the Canon EOS 5D. Man that is one brilliant camera. Still trying to figure it all out. Got it for a week now and lack of time and or ability are hindering my progress. But the pics I have taken are outstanding. But I have kept my Leica. Just couldn't bring myself to part. The Hasselblad is gone though.
    So in a word or three- go for it.

Peace

Bernd

Bernd

Excellent choice with the EOS 5D. I will look forward to some of your photographs. I am glad you kept the Leica. A Leica is like a fine swiss watch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails off topic  --  digital camera purchase-img_0097_0068.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information