Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Welcome back, Michael

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...g-dropped.html

Nike Inc. (NKE) said it re-signed Michael Vick, whom the world’s largest sporting-goods company dropped as an endorser four years ago after the quarterback admitted to his role in a dog-fighting ring.

Neither Nike nor Chicago-based attorney Andrew Stroth, Vick’s marketing agent, would disclose financial terms of the multiyear contract, which was reported earlier by CNBC.

“Michael has acknowledged his past mistakes,” Beaverton, Oregon-based Nike said in a statement. “We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field.”
    Congrats to Nike and Michael Vick for recognizing a measure of forgiveness...something that has sorely become a rarity in public life in these times.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    Congrats to Nike and Michael Vick for recognizing a measure of forgiveness...something that has sorely become a rarity in public life in these times.
    On that note: Will Nike's new symbol be of 2 dogs fighting to the death?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Or, you could condemn Nike for hiring a man of questionable morals and ethics. I'm sorry but anyone who can treat an innocent animal that way is a piece of **** IMO. I'm not congratulating anyone. I'm questioning whether Nike is a company whose products I want to continue to buy.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...nine-sanctuary

Michael Vick's former home in Surry County, Virginia was once used to train dogs for fighting. Now the same estate will be used to rehabilitate abused dogs.

WVEC-TV, the ABC affiliate in Hampton Roads, Va., reports the formerly Pennsylvania-based organization Dogs Deserve Better, has bought the house Vick once owned as a player with the Atlanta Falcons.

Michael Vick's former home in Surry County, Virginia was once used to train dogs for fighting. Now the same estate will be used to rehabilitate abused dogs. (AP Photo)

Tamira Thayne, the founder of the organization, told the television station that moving the headquarters of Dogs Deserve Better to the location was a move that just felt right.

“It's one of those ideas that's really cool but there's a little, oh I don’t know if I want to do that." Thayne said. "But the idea of turning the negative into a positive is really so empowering."

From the depths of being arrested on federal dogfighting charges four years ago, Vick has had a good redemption story in his personal and professional career as an NFL quarterback. So it's good to see his former house -- that one Dogs Deserve Better volunteer described as "dark" -- helping to shine a light on the humane treatment of dogs. Many of those dogs will be rehabilitated after they were chained or penned.

With the news, Dogs Deserve Better is looking to raise awareness for its cause and further its drive for more volunteers.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...#ixzz1QswantQP

I am glad the home is now being used for good. I am glad Michael is now doing good. He did his time and is now working to right the wrongs. Looking at my dog sleeping on his pillow top queen bed I cannot imagine anyone being cruel to an animal.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 07-01-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

The guy did a very, very bad thing. He went to jail for it and paid a fortune in fines, much more money than many here will see in a lifetime. He's worked well beyond the minimum requirements of the judgements against him and in a position which almost exclusively leads to recidivism of some sort is doing the best he can.

I'd hate to live in a world in which I was forever defined by my worst moments.
    Last edited by bobsticks; 07-01-2011 at 02:49 PM.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    The guy did a very, very bad thing. He went to jail for it and paid a fortune in fines, much more money than many here will see in a lifetime. He's worked well beyond the minimum requirements of the judgements against and in a position in which almost exclusively leads to recidivism of some sort is doing the best he can.
    I absolutely agree with you here. As a dog lover and trainer, I hated what he did to my favorite breed of dogs(pit bulls). However the dude paid his dues, and I am a very forgiving person.

I'd hate to live in a world in which I was forever defined by my worst moments.
    Imagine me being defined by what I do on this forum....that would not be pretty at all.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I will always question the change of heart and sincerity. Is it because it's the right thing to do, or is it because of the almighty $$$ that was lost, and yet to be made still? Can you reform a serial killer? (Yes, I know,one of dogs but still just the same, a killer of ones that were defenseless.) Human or dogs, it's a sickness, and I have to wonder. I know for sure he would never be on my list of petsitters,

Quote Originally Posted by luvtolisten View Post
    I will always question the change of heart and sincerity. Is it because it's the right thing to do, or is it because of the almighty $$$ that was lost, and yet to be made still? Can you reform a serial killer? (Yes, I know,one of dogs but still just the same, a killer of ones that were defenseless.) Human or dogs, it's a sickness, and I have to wonder. I know for sure he would never be on my list of petsitters,
    You're certainly entitled to feel that way LTL, as is everyone else here I suppose. It just seems that amid all the effort this guy puts forth there's still an immense amount of hate being spewed forth.

A lot of folks want the benefit of being treated one way without the willingness to extend the same courtesy to others.

You're certainly entitled to feel that way LTL, as is everyone else here I suppose. It just seems that amid all the effort this guy puts forth there's still an immense amount of hate being spewed forth.

A lot of folks want the benefit of being treated one way without the willingness to extend the same courtesy to others.
    I understand what you mean bobsticks. But (in my case anyway) I call it more distrust then hate. I think it needs more time. Right now it's hard to say, because the man does have to have a good public image, to get those endorsements. After he's no longer playing football, and the endrosements are gone, then we'll know for sure if his motives were from the heart, or 'just playing the game". Heck, where I worked, a lot of people "play the game" (kissed up to the boss while deep down they hated him).
    Last edited by luvtolisten; 07-03-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I'm not saying that he can't learn from his mistakes. Lot's of people make dumb mistakes, learn their lessons and are better people for it. I just think that anyone who can treat an animal in that way and not feel bad about it WHILE THEY ARE DOING IT doesn't have a whole lot of humanity in the first place.

I don't believe that someone like that can suddenly learn compassion. I will gladly let him prove me wrong.

Thread Information