Hangover remedies?

So I had a few too many to start the 3 day weekend and woke up on Sat. with a pretty nasty hangover

I was just curious if anyone had a remedy, something they read, used in the past, something they heard......you get the point. Google pulls up all kinds of stuff but I want more personal experiences .

BTW, this is just for fun. I already know that the best thing to do is not drink too much

H2o

Alcohol is a poison. Your body needs to purge it. Drink as much water as you can comfortably. (don't drowned yourself)
    Make plenty of trips to the men's room. Don't hold the poison in.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Ajani
    A swift kick in the balls from a friend or better yet, a wife or girlfriend is the quickest way to cure a hangover... it is also a deterant to engaging in future excessive drinking...

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I find that barfing sometimes works.

I agree with GM: Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate again. Take a couple o' ibuprofen and a multivitamin. If you habitually drink coffee in the morning, have a cup. Eat a small breakfast if you can. Pray for world peace and quiet. Get a couple of oranges and offer them up to Toro, the Porcelain God, to whom you will swear that you'll never drink again. And...rehydrate, rehydrate, rehydrate....

Failing that: Three raw eggs, a dash of tobasco, a dash of Worcester, a little salt and a pinch o' pepper....

And what FA said: The ol' finger on the glottis thing...."Hey, Ralphie, boy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    I agree with GM: Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate again. Take a couple o' ibuprofen and a multivitamin. If you habitually drink coffee in the morning, have a cup. Eat a small breakfast if you can. Pray for world peace and quiet. Get a couple of oranges and offer them up to Toro, the Porcelain God, to whom you will swear that you'll never drink again. And...rehydrate, rehydrate, rehydrate....

Failing that: Three raw eggs, a dash of tobasco, a dash of Worcester, a little salt and a pinch o' pepper....

And what FA said: The ol' finger on the glottis thing...."Hey, Ralphie, boy!"
    But don't rehydrate with the water from Toro.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Yes...Toro big no-no...Just incense and a nice orange...

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    prevention:
    1) avoid the cheap stuff - cheap beer, cheap whiskey, cheap tequila, etc. always did me in when younger
    2) drink water as you're drinking alcohol; drink more water if you're outdoors in the sun
    3) 3 to 4 advil before bed/passing out
    4) have dramamine or similar motion sickness tablets handy; ask your pharmacy for the store brand
    5) learn when to say "no mas" - first signs of can't focus eyes, flash of double vision, difficulty standing from seated position, slurred speech, etc.
    6) some say eating a little along helps, but avoid the after-hours drunken trip to Krystal/White Castle unless you like heart burn

cure:
    hair of the dog - once you get that first drink down, you're good to go

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    A swift kick in the balls from a friend or better yet, a wife or girlfriend is the quickest way to cure a hangover... it is also a deterant to engaging in future excessive drinking...
    Coincidentally, this is the exact remedy my father used to cure his soldiers' smoking habbits in the USAF...it works.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I have always heard the orange juice/vodka combo...whoever made that up should be punched in the face.

A good screwdriver can fix almost anything.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I find that barfing sometimes works.
    Very good. Very subtle too.

My suggestion would be to smoke some pot in the morning, that way you won't really care about your hangover.

Disclaimer: Neither I nor this site condones illegal drug use...

Kex, I've heard a lot of people say have a drink first thing in the morning. I've never tried it but some people seem to think it works. My sister recently went to a party and told me people woke up slammed a few beer and went back to sleep, saying this would help with the hangover.

GM & AA, that is usually the most popular method I've read about. A health magazine I was reading suggested drinking pedialyte to help rehydrate.

FA has a point about just getting it over with

Excellent suggestions Dean. I use 1 & 2 all the time. It's #5 I usually have a problem with

Rich, I've actually used that method(a long time ago in a galaxy far far away) and it worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I think that would cure a lot of things

Suspended
    I think I remember seeing you in that Galaxy L.J.

Man, those were the days...

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Very good. Very subtle too.
    Thanks Rich. I like to use the word Barf whenever I get the opportunity. It makes me laugh.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Thanks Rich. I like to use the word Barf whenever I get the opportunity. It makes me laugh.
    Barf?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Whattup L.J.

A hangover is, literally, the tissue surrounding the brain being desiccated. Rehydration is key but it does no good if you don't retain the water. B12 is key, hence the multivitamin that Auri recommended. I'll also second the suggestion of moderate amounts of caffeine to fight the sluggishness.

In the past I found that a big bowl of greasy, hot, peppery chili worked wonders but I know of no scientific principle that supports this.

Weren't you just sayin' somethin' 'bout me patying like a rawkstar!? Hope you feel better.

Right you are, 'Sticks, but not quite in the way you think. Actually, regular consumption of massive quantities of alcohol causes problems in cognitive, behavioral and moror function in a couple of diseases--called Wernicke's Encephalopathy and Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome. These problems develop as a result of vitamin B1 deficiency. Also called thiamine, researchers have shown the linkage between high alcohol consumption and thiamine depletion.

As a way to stave off any further deterioration (some folks think it actually may reverse the progression of the diseases), B1 is provided to folks when they enter detox (in a nasty bolus shot--IM--ouch!) and once daily (by mouth) thereafter.

So, if you wanna keep yer head, take the B1 and get to bed!

B1 will get me extra head?!
    Count me in.

Suspended
    What?! Where?! I'll take ANY head...errr... maybe that's not such a good idea.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Alcohol is a poison. Your body needs to purge it. Drink as much water as you can comfortably. (don't drowned yourself)
    Make plenty of trips to the men's room. Don't hold the poison in.
    Oh geeeeez... I hope Cartman doesn't see that!

Yep, it's a poison, Brightboy! Make two cross-shaped incisions over the entry, apply a tourniquet 1-1 1/2 inches above and suck wid all yer might...Waitaminnit...Er, Houston, we have a problem...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Right you are, 'Sticks, but not quite in the way you think. Actually, regular consumption of massive quantities of alcohol causes problems in cognitive, behavioral and moror function in a couple of diseases--called Wernicke's Encephalopathy and Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome...
    You mean I've got cognitive and behavioral problems and I'm gonna get a disease that makes me all wrinkly. Not cool.

Well, you kin always iron wid lots o' starch....

....It keeps me up and ready

....Burns, tho'....

Thread Information