I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Had My Sanity Restored This Weekend-Long Post

First let me preface this post by saying this is not meant to be a political thread in any shape or form!

I am a big fan of Jon Stewart and so when he announced the Rally to Restore Sanity would be held in DC my son and I planned on being there.

We left early Saturday morning thinking that while the turn out might be big it would be fairly limited to hard-core fans in the more immediate area. Wrong!!

We got to the Metro about 2 hours before the start of the rally. The line to buy fare cards extended from the station and out the adjoining parking garage. After an hour waiting in line to get on the Metro we finally got on our way jammed into a Metro car with dozens of our now close friends. At each stop along the way the people waiting at those platforms just had to wait until the next train came along. Later on Metro reported that by 2PM Metro ridership had exceeded 330,000 which is equal to a regular Saturday's entire rider amount. After a 45 minute Metro ride which was longer than normal because the conductor did not want to take any chances with the overloaded cars we finally arrived at the Mall.

I won't bore you with the details here but my son and I managed to squeeze/slide our way to within about 100 yards of the last set of jumbo screens and speakers at just about the time the entertainment began. The stage was not even a distant speck. I won't go over the entire show because if you are interested you can certainly catch it on C-Span or Comedy Central. I will just say that the Yusaf Islam (Cat Stevens) and Ozzy Osborne "Battle of the Bands" bit was pretty funny. Probably the first and last time those musical legends will share a stage. The signs, people and costumes were very cool and often hilarious. Even though I was on my feet from 10:30AM to 4:50PM it was an event well worth attending and a shared moment with my son that will be a source of conversation and laughter for the rest of our lives.

Here are some pics from a pretty lousy camera. For the most part I just held it up over the crowd and pushed the buttons.
    Last edited by thekid; 11-01-2010 at 02:14 AM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I would have loved to be there. I have heard part of what he had to say and I agree with him. Glad you were able to attend.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    OMG I just swallowed a whole gallon of hatorade. Kid...I hate you a thousand times, and I am green with envy. I would have loved to go to the event, but my workload at my studio is just busting over. I had to hire another mixer to handle the work.

I read the transcripts of Jon Stewarts speech, and I thought it was great!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs