Had a Heart Attack....

Printable View

• 01-18-2016, 04:56 AM
    thekid
    Had a Heart Attack....
    So I thought I'd stop in and give those here who may remember me a quick PSA about getting a good physical and watch what you eat. The reason for this is because about a week and a half ago I had a heart attack. While there is a family history of heart issues I didn't have any problems prior to this. I actually had a physical in November and was given a clean bill of health and my cholesterol level was in the good range (slightly elevated LDL level but still in the acceptable range). Won't bore you with the details of the night of heart attack but I had a series of coincidences that I attribute to me being here today. If you do begin to feel chest pain get yourself to the hospital quickly because minutes do matter and those extra minutes can be a life saver.
  • 01-18-2016, 06:39 AM
    Hyfi
    Glad to hear you are OK Kid. Thanks for the reminder.
  • 01-18-2016, 06:40 AM
    Feanor
    Wow, Kid, I hope you recover quickly and take good care of yourself going forward.

I think the advice you give here is great. Diet and exercise will reduce the risk. Also, very many people who suffer heart attacks ignore high blood pressure which greatly increases the risk of both heart attack and stroke.

I have high blood pressure and cardiac artery disease but at least I'm aware and am getting medications as well as watching diet & exercise. I had a good friend who wasn't so lucky; he had a heart attack with no warning and die at age 58.
  • 01-18-2016, 07:34 AM
    Mr Peabody
    Hi Kid, sorry to hear that but certainly glad you are here to tak about it. Did they say what the cause was? Blockage, etc.?

I have a desk job, never could get my triglycerides down and was taking medicine for blood pressure. I did exercise in attempt to correct the issues. However, it wasn't until changing my diet that everything fell into place. I saw Dr. Fuhrman on PBS and what he was saying about diet, disease prevention etc. made sense. I didn't buy any products or anything but did follow his principles. I later did buy my wife a cook book. Losing weight wasn't my intension but I lost 20 to 25 lbs. and after about 12 to 18 months had to stop taking blood pressure medicine. My BP is not in concern range but a bit higher now, I think due to sinus meds.

We have no guarantees but I like to think I'm trying :) Hope things continue to go well for you.
  • 01-18-2016, 09:52 AM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Hi Kid, sorry to hear that but certainly glad you are here to tak about it. Did they say what the cause was? Blockage, etc.?

I have a desk job, never could get my triglycerides down and was taking medicine for blood pressure. I did exercise in attempt to correct the issues. However, it wasn't until changing my diet that everything fell into place. I saw Dr. Fuhrman on PBS and what he was saying about diet, disease prevention etc. made sense. I didn't buy any products or anything but did follow his principles. I later did buy my wife a cook book. Losing weight wasn't my intension but I lost 20 to 25 lbs. and after about 12 to 18 months had to stop taking blood pressure medicine. My BP is not in concern range but a bit higher now, I think due to sinus meds.

We have no guarantees but I like to think I'm trying :) Hope things continue to go well for you.

Thanks Mr.P!!

I mostly have a desk job but it's a highly stressful job that requires a lot of travel so maintaining a disciplined diet and exercise plan is difficult. Oddly enough I was at the gym working out when the heart attack occurred. I ate relatively healthy and my BP like my cholesterol was in the good to very good range. I'm going to have to take the healthy eating up a notch particularly with sodium. I never added salt to my food but now that I have to pay attention to my total sodium intake as it makes your heart work harder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Wow, Kid, I hope you recover quickly and take good care of yourself going forward.

I think the advice you give here is great. Diet and exercise will reduce the risk. Also, very many people who suffer heart attacks ignore high blood pressure which greatly increases the risk of both heart attack and stroke.

I have high blood pressure and cardiac artery disease but at least I'm aware and am getting medications as well as watching diet & exercise. I had a good friend who wasn't so lucky; he had a heart attack with no warning and die at age 58.

Thanks Feanor!
    Continued good health to you. Sorry for the loss of your friend. Their situation seems similar to mine but I was fortunate that one of the top cardiologists in the area was in the cardio lab when they brought me in or the outcome may have been different for me.

Saw my GP this morning and everything is looking good!!
  • 01-19-2016, 07:21 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Hey Kid. I'm so happy to hear that everything is looking good. It's a very scary thing to go through.

My brother had a heart attack a year ago yesterday. He was at working at a Blue Jays Baseball game (he does alcohol control) and felt a strange pain in his upper back. That was the only symptom, so he would have ignored it except that he happened to walk past the head paramedic, who he knows. He pulled the guy aside and told him about the pain. Minutes later he was hooked up to a portable ECG machine and an ambulance was called. He spent a week in the hospital. Thank goodness he didn't ignore it!!!

As it happens, on Saturday afternoon I wasn't feeling well. I had a bit of chest pain and shortness of breath. I figured it was my asthma acting up from the cold weather, but I decided not to ignore it and went to the hospital. Thankfully it turned out to be my asthma, just as I thought, and I felt kind of silly and like I over reacted, but everyone at the hospital assured me that I did the right thing by going.

It's better to be safe than sorry. It's so important not to ignore symptoms, even if you think it's nothing. I'm really happy to hear that everything worked out for you (so to speak) and that you're still with us.

Please continue to take care of yourself. :)
  • 01-20-2016, 02:09 PM
    blackraven
    I hope you are doing well and stay healthy.

And being an ER doctor for 30 years, I cant stress how important it is to go to the emergency dept if you are having any chest discomfort, arm, neck, jaw or upper back or upper abdominal discomfort or for any unexplained shortness of breath. For women the symptoms of heart attack can be very vague as just not feeling well and the heart issue can easily be missed.
  • 01-20-2016, 05:13 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I hope you are doing well and stay healthy.

And being an ER doctor for 30 years, I cant stress how important it is to go to the emergency dept if you are having any chest discomfort, arm, neck, jaw or upper back or upper abdominal discomfort or for any unexplained shortness of breath. For women the symptoms of heart attack can be very vague as just not feeling well and the heart issue can easily be missed.

Very true about women from my limited experience. My mother in her final years had several episodes where she "just felt awful". It was usually in the morning; she would go back to bed and lie down for a hour or two, then feel better. She didn't mention any of it until after the fact. However the last time it happened I found her dead that the evening; the coroner concluded it was a heart attack.
  • 01-20-2016, 05:17 PM
    thekid
    BR

Thanks for the advice and your service as ER doctor. I certainly owe my life to the great treatment I got in the ER the night of my heart attack.
  • 01-20-2016, 07:06 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Very true about women from my limited experience. My mother in her final years had several episodes where she "just felt awful". It was usually in the morning; she would go back to bed and lie down for a hour or two, then feel better. She didn't mention any of it until after the fact. However the last time it happened I found her dead that the evening; the coroner concluded it was a heart attack.

I'm so sorry to hear that Feanor. That must have been a horrible thing to go through.

That was how things went with my Dad too. He had a heart attack in his mid 50's. Luckily he was with someone who recognized the symptoms when it happened (this was over 25 years ago). Then four years later, he came home from work complaining that he wasn't feeling well and was going to lie down for a while before dinner. When my Mom went to wake him up he was gone. He died during his nap. He never said exactly what he was feeling, just that he wasn't feeling well.
  • 01-20-2016, 08:40 PM
    Smokey
    Thanks kid for sharing and hope you are feeling better. It can be very tough to deal with majore health issues, and sometimes it is a wake up call as priorities in life will change.

As we get older, more attention and care have to be given to our body. But sadly a lot of people don’t follow that advice, me included.

All I can say is wish you happy long life, and pray for your well being. And keep looking up. You got your second wind J
  • 10-19-2020, 01:13 AM
    Lavarda
    If lately you have not been feeling very well, then you need to seriously think about your health! Be sure to go to the Blessed CBD page and place an order with them! These guys have the best CBD oil because they produce it with passion and follow the quality of production very closely! Good luck!