Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: H1n1

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

H1n1

People here are freaking out! Vaccination clinics have been overwhelmed. In Ontario, the first vaccination clinics opened yesterday. The public health department asked that only people in high risk categories show up for these clinics until Monday when they will open to the general public. However, thousands of people lined up yesterday for vaccinations, regardless of whether they were in one of the high risk groups. People stood in line for hours waiting their turn. No-one was turned away and, as a result, many high-risk people (myself included) are not yet able to get vaccinated.

Today, lines started hours before the clinics opened. But my understanding is that, today, clinics are sending people away if they are not in one of the high-risk categories, or giving them a time slot in which to return.

Many doctors are not administering vaccinations because they don’t want the hassle and are, instead, sending their patients to the clinics that are ill-prepared for the volumes of people showing up. The Public Health Dept. has underestimated the public paranoia.

Outside of the public clinics, those doctors who will administer the vaccination do not yet have the vaccine and are being told that they will receive it on Monday. I spoke with my doctor’s office and they are not confident that will be the case.

People with allergies to eggs, are being told to have the vaccine administered by their allergist. Egg allergies usually include asthma, which would put these people in a high-risk category. But allergists have not yet received the vaccine and don’t know when they will.

This potential pandemic seems to be causing pandemonium.

What’s the H1N1 situation where you are?

nightflier
    Well there's a shortage, but I have some very big issues with the vaccine:

- My doctor's not taking it
    - I read that the US vaccines are banned in Europe
    - If you get the regular flu, your chances of getting swine is something like 10%
    - The vaccine is only 40% effective
    - H1N1 is now peaking, so it's about to decline
    - Donald Rumsfeld retains a large amount of pharmaceutical industry stock including Gilead's, the company he was formerly a chairman of the board for.

I know that last point is purely political, but on principle, I can't bring myself to give one red cent to that scoundrel, especially for something as specious as this vaccine. Also note that it's the FoxNews and sensationalist conservative outlets that are spreading the most fear around about Swine flu. Anyhow, I spent my $45 on a new set of audio cables, and I'm sure that's a better investment.

Want to stay healthy? Here's the best things you can do:

- Sleep as much as you need to (boosts immune system)
    - Drink plenty of clear fluids (clears out your system)
    - Eat a balanced diet (yes, that's hard during the holidays)
    - Wash hands a little more often than usual (carry Purell around, if you have to)
    - Carry your own pen around and don't lend it out (keeps the germs from spreading)
    - Spend time with loved ones (boosts immune system)
    - Have fun, laugh and be merry instead of worrying (boosts immune system)

It's ironic that all the hoopla and fear mongering is actually making people sicker.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I am not sure what is happening around here. I do not take the flu shots. I do know I have a roommate who every time he has a scratchy throat thinks he is getting the flu.

When I worked in healthcare management we checked in with the CDC site daily to prepare for the bird flu. Some flus materialize and others do not. The paranoia always materializes.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    A former high school teacher of mine who still keeps in touch gets his news from short wave radio and lives deep in the woods. He says that the h1n1 vaccine (injected form) contains mercury and one other component that will kill you. The form of the vaccine that goes up the nose is designed to spread the virus.

He claims there's evidence that the early 1930's Spanish Flu that became a world-wide pandemic broke out simultaneously in three places. Common to these three places was each had a US military base where flu "vaccines" were being developed and tested.

How's that for paranoia, folks? Have a great weekend.

NF, where do you get your info? The H1N1 is the only flu going around right now, and while it is peaking, the numbers are still rising and we don't no when it is going to stop. In my emergency dept, we started seeing it in the spring and throughout the summer. We are seeing at least 10-20 new cases a day, all H1N1. My son and I had it 2 weeks ago. It is no worse than the normal flu and in fact it is milder in most cases. The problem with it is that children are dying from it and with the normal flu, it has typically been the old and debilitated that have died. In fact, each year, thousands of people die from the typical type A and B flu's.

And all you vaccine haters stop telling Bull Shyte about the flu vaccine. The vaccine is life saving for certain people and you may convince someone who really needs it into not getting it. The efficacy of the vaccine is much higher than 45% and it can also inpart partial immunity and lessen the severity of the illness. It has been up to 80% effective. Risk of serious injury of the vaccine is very low and the danger of dying from the flu or having a serious complication is thousands of times higher if not millions. Its the same with the pertussis vaccine. The risk of dying from that vaccine is 1 in millions but the risk of an infant dying from pertussis (whooping cough) is much, much higher. Our hospital administered the live intranasal flu vaccine to all employees that agreed to take it and we had no problems with the over 1000 employees who received it. The nasal vaccine is a live attenuated virus that does not give you the flu. For all you fkr's who think that vaccine's are bad for you, just google pictures of people with small pox and read up how virrulent devastating and deadly it was. Just think what it would be like to be permanently disabled by polio or die a horrible death from a simple cut on your finger from tetanus. And if you think that people don't die of tetanus these days, take a look at the statistics of those who die from it in third world countries.

Now I'm not advocating that people run out and get the vaccine, I'm just begging you to stop telling BS about them!

A few last comments about H1N1-
    1-the big concern with it is will it mutate into a much more virrulent and deadly strain, the vaccine can partially protect you if it does.

2-if you come down with it, don't panic. Rest, drink plenty of liquids, take an over the counter cough medicine like Robitussin DM or the better tasting Delsm or Robitussin DM cough gels. If it doesn't have DM then it won't suppress your cough. Benadryl to dry up your post nasal drip will help with the cough. Take 2 extra strength tylenol and or 2 advil every 6 hours for fever and body aches. See your Dr. immediately for shortness of breath or intractable vomiting which we have been seeing occasionally with this flu that we don't typically see with the regular flu. (note that vomiting and diarrhea is not typical of the flu, that is usually an intestinal virus). Your fever should last about 3-5 days. You are contagious for another 8-10 days AFTER YOUR FEVER RESOLVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Symptoms of the flu are high fever, severe body aches, chills, sore throat, cough and congestion, occasional nausea or vomiting.

3-these are adult recommendations not for children.

4-tamilflu is only effective if started in the first 48hours at the onset of symptoms, beyond that it doesnt work. Tamiflu is not like a typical antibiotic. It may only lessen the symtoms and shorten the course by 1 day. It is expensive, about $85 and usually not coverd by insurance.
    Up to 9-10% of patients that take it get nausea or vomiting from it.

I hope this helps!!!!!!!!!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Chicago IL
    That is bad! I work in a hospital and 3 days ago they got a new rule that people under the age of 18 are not allowed to visit the hospital because of the increase of the flu sick people.

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    That is bad! I work in a hospital and 3 days ago they got a new rule that people under the age of 18 are not allowed to visit the hospital because of the increase of the flu sick people.
    Yes, hospitals are asking you to stay home and not come to the ER if you have the flu. They are also trying to limit visitors so that they don't infect patients. We place a mask on any patient in the ER that we suspect has the flu. This is done in our triage area in the waiting room.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    For those identified as the high risks groups they should probably get the vacination just as they should get flu shots every year. Other than that I think this somewhat a creation of the media. I am not saying that H1N1 does not exist or is not out there in certain areas in large numbers but I am saying that the flu and its variations comes around every year and kills tens of thousands of people. The media largey ignores "regular" flu season but when a new strain comes out with a name they can put their full 24-media hyping machines behind such the "Bird Flu", "Asian Flu" or now the "Swine Flu" they go nuts. Correct me if I am wrong but the "Swine Flu" has been unleashed before some 30 years ago in the mid-late 70's. We seemed to survive it then and I am sure that it will be the case now.

For those who like to sit and read about the world ending virus de jour I recommend a book called the "Hot Zone". Read that and you may never leave the house or have contact with another human..... There is a building in Reston VA. that sits vacant and is essentially quarrantined because a variation of the Ebola virus was discovered there. Read about that situation and you will see how a major population center in the US avoided a Ebola outbreak. The Ebola virus makes the flu seem like the sniffles.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    For those identified as the high risks groups they should probably get the vacination just as they should get flu shots every year. Other than that I think this somewhat a creation of the media. I am not saying that H1N1 does not exist or is not out there in certain areas in large numbers but I am saying that the flu and its variations comes around every year and kills tens of thousands of people. The media largey ignores "regular" flu season but when a new strain comes out with a name they can put their full 24-media hyping machines behind such the "Bird Flu", "Asian Flu" or now the "Swine Flu" they go nuts. Correct me if I am wrong but the "Swine Flu" has been unleashed before some 30 years ago in the mid-late 70's. We seemed to survive it then and I am sure that it will be the case now.

For those who like to sit and read about the world ending virus de jour I recommend a book called the "Hot Zone". Read that and you may never leave the house or have contact with another human..... There is a building in Reston VA. that sits vacant and is essentially quarrantined because a variation of the Ebola virus was discovered there. Read about that situation and you will see how a major population center in the US avoided a Ebola outbreak. The Ebola virus makes the flu seem like the sniffles.
    Here, here! Well said kid...

In England we are given precautionary advise (washing hand etc etc) but other than that I don't know what the vaccine situation is.
    Generally people don't seem freaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    ...I recommend a book called the "Hot Zone". Read that and you may never leave the house or have contact with another human..... There is a building in Reston VA. that sits vacant and is essentially quarrantined because a variation of the Ebola virus was discovered there. Read about that situation and you will see how a major population center in the US avoided a Ebola outbreak. The Ebola virus makes the flu seem like the sniffles.
    I read The Hot Zone years ago. I found it fascinating and terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    NF, where do you get your info? ...
    And all you vaccine haters stop telling Bull Shyte about the flu vaccine....

Thanks for the enlightenment, BR.

We hear a lot of the same old: if it's recommended, sponsored, or run by the government, it's GOT to be BAD!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    A few last comments about H1N1-...

blackraven, Thanks for that information. As mentioned in my post, I am in a high risk category due to asthma and other respiratory problems. If I so much as catch a mild cold, I can expect to be out with bronchial problems and on some pretty heavy duty medication for at least another six weeks. So the fact that H1N1 seems to hit people's respiratory systems, scares the hell out of me.

Having said that. I'm not joining in the paranoia and am just doing the same things that I always do to avoid getting sick. But your comments about symptoms being very mild for most people is reassuring. Thanks.

theKid, the swine flu from years ago was a different strain. All swine flu means is that it infected pigs. There are different serotypes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swine_influenza

The reason that older people (those born after 1955 or so) are not high risk as with the typical flu is that most were exposed to an H1N1 flu in the past, before 1955. At least this is the current theory.

Sorry if I came off too strong to the people who don't believe in vaccines or the flu vaccine, but I feel strongly that we should not discourage people from getting the vaccine.

One last point about the flu. You are also contagious 3 days before you start to show symptoms of the flu! So you are looking at about 15 days that you are contagious. Thats why the vaccine is a good idea. Who can afford to take 15 days off work or school. So the cost of the flu is just not human life but it is also monetary
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    BR

No worries and please do not misconstrue my post as anti-vaccine. My main point was that the media is overhyping the situation. Flu season should always be treated seriously and people should always take the proper precautions. People who are at risk need and should get the vaccination.

Ageed!!!!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Thanks for the info blackraven. Very good advise.

So it looks like one post in this thread is, besides being politically motivated, spreading mis-information and should probably be deleted, don't you think mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Thanks for the info blackraven. Very good advise.

So it looks like one post in this thread is, besides being politically motivated, spreading mis-information and should probably be deleted, don't you think mods?

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and everyone is free to do what is best for them. He even warns others that his one point is purely political. If every opposing opinion was deleted AR would be rather dull, me thinks.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Nightflier: Your post smacks of good sense and a nice, hearty dose of humor that we all need nowadays. I would just add that as well as washing hands and drinking more fluids (even my beloved beer and coffee don't count), folks (especially those who provide medical services) ought to think twice about wearing the obligatory neck-tie. The transfer of germs via these deadly cravats has been demonstrated time and again, so take care before you dip over a sick patient in your silen splendor!

Raven: I appreciated your comments as well. I am getting mighty sick of folks coming down against vaccines, without giving credit for their amazingly successful record of lives saved and pandemics staved off. Unfortunately with fear mongering "news" programs and networks, as well as celebrities who know far more about science than they should, have done much disservice to earnest researchers who know better.

In all, though, I think FA summed the situation up best, with her comment: "This potential pandemic seems to be causing pandemonium". Better said was the dictum, "Paranoia will destroy ya". The best thing we can do is keep our heads on and help those who are losing theirs get themselves together.

I'm not sure how bad the level of hysteria and actual case load is looking in the local ER's and clinics around town. I do know a very large batch of vaccines that were to be made available locally was ruined when it was inadvertedly frozen. Still, the vaccine is being doled out to at-risk groups and health-care practioners.

Again, it's nice to know when the world is going nuts I can turn here for reasonable, rational, non-fanatical discourse.....

Well........

Swine Flu advice .......

If you wake up looking like this,

don't go to work!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Everyone has a right to their own opinion and everyone is free to do what is best for them. He even warns others that his one point is purely political. If every opposing opinion was deleted AR would be rather dull, me thinks.
    I'm not asking for an opposing opinion to be deleted, I'm saying it's "mis-information" For example, if the numbers are still rising, how can it be "peaking"? Try not to let your emotions cloud your vision JM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Try not to let your emotions cloud your vision JM.

Insulting as always rich.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Right. And ignore the point of my post jm

HEY! I started this thread to share information about H1N1. So far it's been very informative. If there is mis-information in one of the posts, it has provided the reason for blackraven to come in and refute it. I think that there is value in including both the myths and the truths. If one person is hearing or reading incorrect information then there are probably other misinformed people out there too. We are lucky enough to have some medical professionals on this forum who can provide us with the correct information and are kind enough to take the time to do so. If this thread can help to educate people then it is worth keeping in it's present form.

Rich, I've got to side with John. He didn't ignore the point of your post, you just didn't like his answer. Besides, the quote that you use to prove your point in post #21, isn't even from the post that you want deleted.

Now both of you go to your rooms for a time-out.

Suspended
    FA don't like me anymore!

Irregardless, the only thing that may stop me from getting an H1N1 vaccine will be if I have to make the $20 copay at my Dr's office. At work I got the seasonal flu vaccine for free.

Nevertheless, I can't for the life of me get that "Try not to let your emotions cloud your vision" is an insult. Advice from one moderator to another is the way I see it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information