Thread: Goodbye Ronnie.

Goodbye Ronnie.

To me it feels bad.

I mean yes, the USSR was a much greater threat than Al Quida but it was simpler, too.

"History teaches that wars begin when governments believe the price of aggression is cheap."

"[G]overnment's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. "

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. "

"A friend of mine was asked to a costume ball a short time ago. He slapped some egg on his face and went as a liberal economist. "

"Honey, I forgot to duck."

"Are you willing to spend time studying the issues, making yourself aware, and then conveying that information to family and friends? Will you resist the temptation to get a government handout for your community? Realize that the doctor's fight against socialized medicine is your fight. We can't socialize the doctors without socializing the patients. Recognize that government invasion of public power is eventually an assault upon your own business. If some among you fear taking a stand because you are afraid of reprisals from customers, clients, or even government, recognize that you are just feeding the crocodile hoping he'll eat you last. "

"It was leadership here at home that gave us strong American influence abroad, and the collapse of imperial Communism. Great nations have responsibilities to lead, and we should always be cautious of those who would lower our profile, because they might just wind up lowering our flag. "

"Trust, but verify."

"Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall! "

"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15."

" The Democrats may remember their lines, but how quickly they forget the lessons of the past. I have witnessed five major wars in my lifetime, and I know how swiftly storm clouds can gather on a peaceful horizon. The next time a Saddam Hussein takes over Kuwait, or North Korea brandishes a nuclear weapon, will we be ready to respond? In the end, it all comes down to leadership, and that is what this country is looking for now. "

"I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting."

"The Founding Fathers knew a government can't control the economy without controlling people. And they knew when a government sets out to do that, it must use force and coercion to achieve its purpose. So we have come to a time for choosing."

"They say the world has become too complex for simple answers. They are wrong. There are no easy answers, but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right. Winston Churchill said that "the destiny of man is not measured by material computation. When great forces are on the move in the world, we learn we are spirits -- not animals." And he said, "There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." "

"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."

"Yet any time you and I question the schemes of the do-gooders, we're denounced as being opposed to their humanitarian goals. It seems impossible to legitimately debate their solutions with the assumption that all of us share the desire to help the less fortunate. They tell us we're always "against," never "for" anything. "

"You and I are told we must choose between a left or right, but I suggest there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down. Up to man's age-old dream -- the maximum of individual freedom consistent with order -- or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism. Regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would sacrifice freedom for security have embarked on this downward path. Plutarch warned, "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits."

"Abortion is advocated only by persons who have themselves been born."

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

"My fellow Americans. I'm pleased to announce that I've signed legislation outlawing the Soviet Union. We begin bombing in five minutes."

"We are especially not going to tolerate these attacks from outlaw states run by the strangest collection of misfits, Looney Tunes and squalid criminals since the advent of the Third Reich.."

"A leader, once convinced a particular course of action is the right one, must have the determination to stick with it and be undaunted when the going gets rough.."

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

"In closing, let me thank you, the American people, for giving me the great honor of allowing me to serve as your president. When the Lord calls me home, whenever that day may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future. I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead."

-- Ronald Reagan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

cam
    I'm Canadian and all I can say is that Reagan was my President. The first President I remember seeing on tv when I was a kid was Carter. I was pretty young but I was not impressed by Carter. Then along came Reagan, when I saw him on tv I would stop to listen. He spoke with a sense of charm, which was probably due to his years as an actor. He was in no way arrogant when he spoke unlike every Prime Minister of Canada that I can remember. I hated Brian Mulrooney as our Prime Minister but as a Canadian I was very impressed with his eulogy for Reagan at his state funeral. One of the greatest men to live and make a difference, Ronald Reagan.

he was (and is) pure old-time class...

...God bless

enjoy the music!

Forum Regular
    Not trying to start a flame war, but IMHO he was a great man but a horrible President. I'm 44 years old and he's the worst thing that's happened in my lifetime. 24 years later I'm still waiting for the 'trickle down'. He did manage to turn the country from a family based country to a corporate based country, but that is not a good thing, IMO. He is THE creator of corporate greed. The Gordon Gecko 'Greed is Good' style of business. Yes, he made many rich, but he also made many poor, and shrunk the middle class like no other President I've lived under. Personally, if I were to chose one of the seven deadly sins to admire and put on a pedestal, it'd be lust, not greed. But I guess that's because I'm from a blue collar/manufacturing background. I'm sure if I was in the corporate world, and one of the rich/corporate types that benefitted from his politics, I'd love the guy.

Again, I'm not trying to start a war, I know that he made quite a few people happy, I just wish I was one of them.

Thanks for posting that, Pete! His words show just how intelligent Reagan was. I particularly enjoyed the following...
    • "recognize that you are just feeding the crocodile hoping he'll eat you last"
      "Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15."
    • "Great nations have responsibilities to lead, and we should always be cautious of those who would lower our profile, because they might just wind up lowering our flag."
    • "Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book." (here he demonstrates his ability to predict the future and the disgraceful era of the Clintons)
    • "You and I are told we must choose between a left or right, but I suggest there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down. Up to man's age-old dream -- the maximum of individual freedom consistent with order -- or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism."
    • "A leader, once convinced a particular course of action is the right one, must have the determination to stick with it and be undaunted when the going gets rough.." Again, he predicts the future and the current Bush administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlisten2
    I'm 44 years old and he's the worst thing that's happened in my lifetime. 24 years later I'm still waiting for the 'trickle down'.
    Maybe you should stop blaming others for your economic situation and start putting the blame where it belongs - ON YOU! Do a web search on "personal responsibility".

I'm roughly 3 years older than you, so the timelines in our lives probably coincide pretty well. The years that influenced my financial future the most were probably the ones in my high school and college days. Mine were from 1972 to 1977. If you went to college, you should have graduated in the early eighties. Unless you encountered some dramatic and unusual circumstances later in life, your current financial situation is probably largely based on your high school and post-high school education.

So, how well did you do during these years? Was high school and college a party time? Did you squander your education, or were you a decent student? I was a pretty decent student but I saw many others throwing their education away. I imagine that this didn't happen at just my school. I bet that at your school, you were one of the many that were screw-ups. You threw away your public education, but when you look around and see the others that have succeeded in life, you blame the government for not punishing them for their diligence and rewarding you for your laziness.

Reagan's policies helped out those who had the intelligence and initiative to take advantage of them. To sit back, do nothing and expect money to rain down from the government is what people like you were hoping for. That's NOT going to happen because Reagan's policies were good for people who put the effort in to improve their situation. The policies aren't very good for people unwilling to do anything for themselves.

He did manage to turn the country from a family based country to a corporate based country, but that is not a good thing, IMO. He is THE creator of corporate greed.
    It's funny when I presented a co-worker with the details of Kerry's $30 million of homes. He responded with "and how about George Bush's homes?" I couldn't respond right away. I knew very little about GWB's homes besides his Texas ranch. Does he have ANY others? Is the ranch palatial? It's funny how the "greedy" Republicans have all the rich digs...wasn't the Reagan ranch in California centered around a miniscule 1-bedroom 1400-sq ft house? G.Herbert W.Bush had the Kennebunkport home and a pricey Houston condo, but anything else? Carter didn't seem to have significant wealth, nor did he flaunt it. So, who were the greediest? The Kennedys (D) certainly flaunted their wealth. The Clintons (D) did as well, especially concerning their Chappaqua home and Bill's unsuccessful attempt to get the taxpayers to foot the bill on his pricey Manhattan office. Kerry's in the stratosphere with his $8K bicycle, $1K haircuts and other trappings of wealth. Of course, he doesn't own an SUV. It belongs to his wife. I would say the Democrats have a far better grip in the greed department than do the accused Republicans. The old "do as I say, not as I do" motto reigns supreme with Democrats! And don't forget...one of the most excessive displays of greed was the stock market craze at the end of Clinton's terms. People were scrambling to make easy money, disregarding anything that resembled good financial analysis.

Personally, if I were to chose one of the seven deadly sins to admire and put on a pedestal, it'd be lust, not greed.
    Is it necessary to exult even ONE such abhorrent characteristic of human selfishness?

But I guess that's because I'm from a blue collar/manufacturing background. I'm sure if I was in the corporate world, and one of the rich/corporate types that benefitted from his politics, I'd love the guy.
    Again, don't blame Reagan for choices that YOU made years ago. He didn't have the magical powers to change your personal destiny from blue collar to white collar. That destiny was yours alone to control. There are choices that I made years ago that I regret making. I'm not going to blame anyone else but myself for those choices. Unfortunately, you don't make the wisest choices at age 19 and it's hard to undo those choices 28 years later.
    Click here to see my system.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

His passing is a double-edged sword...

...it's sad that he is gone, but his release from the grip of Alzhiemers is a blessing, for him and those who were around him. God bless you Mr. President...

Thanks to you Pete...I was good that someone finally took the time to acknowledge the nation's loss and celebrate his life through his words.

I don't know if he was a "great" President, but how does one actually measure greatness?

Is it by deed? Certainly very little that happens during an active presidential term could help anyone achieve greatness...it's usually what has gone before that is of sufficient note to achieve the office; what happens once president matters little...no single man is responsible for the events that occur during his watch.

Having said that, there were residents of the Oval Office who could galvanize the American people and by sheer force of their presence, help shape and coalesce seemingly independent contemporaneous events to meet stated objectives...I believe Ronald Reagan was one of them. He wasn't a "cowboy" and he wasn't a milquetoast. We need neither of those, particularly in the current world climate. We need someone like RWR...I'm afraid, however, we'll not see the likes of him any time soon...

And with all due respect to Justlisten2, I am a blue-collar worker...been so since I was sixteen...a union man for 95% of that time which now approaches forty years, and a shop steward for 17 of them. I'd rather have a Reagan, than all the Clintons, Carters and Kennedys put together...YOU are what you make of yourself and YOU are responsible for your lot in life...not your parents, not your circumstance and certainly not the government...

jimHJJ(..."...strap my bones to his back, turn our faces to the West, and we'll ride the Prairie that we loved the best..."..."I Ride An Old Paint" trad/ arr. Arlo Guthrie, voc. Linda Rhonstadt...)

[
    Last edited by Resident Loser; 06-14-2004 at 05:56 AM. Reason: correction and addendum

I just wanna take a break from all of the deifying of Reagan to mention a few things from the 80s...like the homeless problem...Iran Contra...the birth of huge government debt...lack of recognition of the AIDS problem...constant tampering in central american politics...creating the War on Drugs hype, complete with asinine "Just Say No" slogan...Star Wars...need I go on?

As DOA said when he was in office....

You're Fucked Up Ronnie!

Just because he's dead, I'm not about to beatify him.

Forum Regular
    I am all for personal accountability, I didn't mean to come off like that. I did get married over 20 years ago because my girlfriend got pregnant, and I'm still here, taking care of the family. I just wasn't a fan of Reagan's, don't take it so personally.
    BTW, thanks, I'm memorizing all these good lines like not blaming the President for my mistakes and not blaming the government for my lot in life. Good stuff, I'll have to remember to use it next year when Kerry is President, and all the pro-Bush guys are whining and crying like they did when Clinton was in office. (For the record, I wasn't a Clinton fan either.)

While I'm at it I might as well stand up and come clean. I'll also take responsibility for the Iran-Contra fiasco and the runaway budget deficit.

Don't hate me because I want a politician who best represents my own interests. C'mon Nader!!

Thread Information