Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Goodbye to Dial-up

I finally did it. I bought a new computer and as of this Tuesday I will have high speed connection to the world. No more waiting and waiting for pages to download. Messages telling me I need to upgrade to fully access a site. I can now burn a cd instead of recording a floppy disc. I can find out what my friends are saying about me on Facebook. I can apply for twice as many jobs in half the time.

I bought an HP Pavilion Elite E9220Y with the idea this should be all I need. It was packaged with Windws 7 and I bought Office. Next should be my Photoshop software. Hey if I can photoshop I might be ready for the personal sites.

Any advice on antivirus software would be appreciated. I would like to keep my computer virus free as I have my last for all this time. Ya I know no one writes a virus for Windows 98 anymore.

Well starting Tuesday I will be on twice as much for half the time.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

My guess is either you mostly access AR from your work computer or you are completely crazy!

Congrats on the purchase though if you were seriously running on dial up it will change your world.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I finally did it. I bought a new computer and as of this Tuesday I will have high speed connection to the world. No more waiting and waiting for pages to download. Messages telling me I need to upgrade to fully access a site. I can now burn a cd instead of recording a floppy disc. I can find out what my friends are saying about me on Facebook. I can apply for twice as many jobs in half the time.

I bought an HP Pavilion Elite E9220Y with the idea this should be all I need. It was packaged with Windws 7 and I bought Office. Next should be my Photoshop software. Hey if I can photoshop I might be ready for the personal sites.

Any advice on antivirus software would be appreciated. I would like to keep my computer virus free as I have my last for all this time. Ya I know no one writes a virus for Windows 98 anymore.

Well starting Tuesday I will be on twice as much for half the time.
    I recommend Avast! free antivirus. AVG free is OK too, though. Not need to pay for AV software.

If Norton is on you machine, blow it away ASAP. It is resource hog, messes your computer in various ways, and isn't any better.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Wow. You have lots to be excited about John! Congrats. Can I ask why so long on dial-up?

Anyhow, combined with responsible/smart surfing I think AVG Free is great. It uses hardly any space or memory. I use Firefox as well, I can't remember the last time I had a virus. Firefox makes a difference. The virus writers assumably use it, so it's basically not targeted at all. This is my opinion only, I have no facts or stats on Firefox and virus'. Since I've used Firefox, although maybe a coincidence, I have not had a single virus.

Good stuff John John Leprecaun!!

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Wow. You have lots to be excited about John! Congrats. Can I ask why so long on dial-up?

Good stuff John John Leprecaun!!

This old Compaq has been such a reliable computer and I was so used to Windows 98 that it seems time passed me by. One day I called for high speed and they said "no we will not service Windows 98". Then I thought about up grading the software but the speed of the computer was an issue. I heard about other problems with Windows software so I decided to keep what worked albeit slowly. Now with the dawn of Windows 7 the credit card and I went for a ride. Soon I will be travelling the Information Super Highway in something a little faster than an Isetta.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    This old Compaq has been such a reliable computer and I was so used to Windows 98 that it seems time passed me by. One day I called for high speed and they said "no we will not service Windows 98". Then I thought about up grading the software but the speed of the computer was an issue. I heard about other problems with Windows software so I decided to keep what worked albeit slowly. Now with the dawn of Windows 7 the credit card and I went for a ride. Soon I will be travelling the Information Super Highway in something a little faster than an Isetta.
    The only issue with Windows 98 is that alot of programs aren't compatible with it. Namely, ITunes. If this isn't a problem, 98 is great because it's quite sleek and minimal compared to more recent prog's. A friend of mine has one computer that is dedicated to gaming. He uses 98 on it because it puts such small demands on the computer.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    This old Compaq has been such a reliable computer and I was so used to Windows 98 that it seems time passed me by. One day I called for high speed and they said "no we will not service Windows 98". Then I thought about up grading the software but the speed of the computer was an issue.
    I had a similar Windows 98 experience that made me upgrade, only I did it about five years ago and upgraded to XP.

Congats on the new computer and high speed 'net. It will seriously change your surfing habits.

I use AVG at work and it works quite well. I have Norton on our Windows desktop, but will be switching to AVG as soon as our Norton subscription runs out. My laptop is a Mac, so I don't worry about viruses on that.

Chicago IL
    Guys forget about the Window and move to Apple Mac! I am using macbook pro and I never had any problems with it! I have too windows and I can tell that it is a full of s...! move on to mac! It is much faster and it never freezes like windows!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I had a similar Windows 98 experience that made me upgrade, only I did it about five years ago and upgraded to XP.

You young people are up on technology. I am excited about unboxing the computer Monday and having it ready for the tech guy to hook up Tuesday. If I am not around AR for a few days picture me looking for the on button.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thread Information