Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Springtime in Paris!

One of the things I have wanted to do before I die is to visit Paris. Tonight I booked my flight and hotel. I will be taking my cameras, walking shoes and some euros. I am not taking anyone else. This will be a what I want to do when I want to do it vacation. I will eat where and when I want. I will stare at a piece of art as long as it holds my attention. I will drink wine and sleep only when I must. Sunday in Paris I may go to church at Notre Dame Cathedral. I will listen to jazz music and any music that catches my ear.

I will be in Paris for only 5 nights but will make the most of it. I have my map of the subways and will be buying a guide book. Several of my friends have visited Paris and have suggestions for me. I will of course take a guided tour and I would love a boat ride down the Seine.

Of course I would appreciate any tips from our well traveled members about their favorite things to do in Paris. I plan on staying in Paris unless I take the train to Southern France to meet a friends brother and his partner. Who knows what I may end up doing in such a romantic city.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Tonight I booked my flight and hotel. I will be taking my cameras, walking shoes and some euros. I am not taking anyone else.
    I am jealous. Be sure to take alot of pictures and don't drink the water (just kidding).

Two years ago when I took tour of Middle East, one thing that I forgot to bring with me was a back pack. So please take one with you. You can put all your essentials such as bottle water, camera, giudebook, snacks and personal items such as toothbrush in the backpack. This way your don't have to carry anything in your hand as it get very annoying, especially on day long tours.

And please be safe

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    It's no Quebec City, but I'm sure that Paris is nice too.

Seriously John, that's fantastic! I'm excited for you. Have a wonderful time and travel safe. When do you leave?

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Wow. Does this mean no AKFest? Very exciting John. My father was Parisian born. When travelling by yourself just be cautious. The city is VERY hard to navigate, even with a map. Easy to get lost. Also, behind all of the croissants and french kissing is a wicked criminal element. Make sure to be careful of your posessions and of course, yourself.

Not to freak you out, but rather to be realistic. You will have an amazing time. Paris will give you the sense of history that we lack over here. You can imagine all of the people who walked the same streets, so many years ago. Incredible. Or should I say, "formidable!"

been there this summer
    and a year before that, and 2 years before that, and when I was really young too...

Any specific things that you want to know? where is your hotel located?
    I cannot give you any specific addresses for cafe's and restaurants, but I can look up some things...

Be sure to spend an entire day just walking around through the streets, and enjoying the neighborhoods, sniff up the ambiance there. also, most likely in your guide, it will say to visit the mont martre, if you do this (and I hope you will), definitely go through the entire neighborhood, it's the 'artsy corner' of paris, very nice to walk though, very relaxed. Same time, don't spend too much time on the moulin rouge, it's not worth it imho, lost all of it's charm...

Have a GREAT trip!

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    oooh, sounds great, JM! I toured Europe with a symphonic band at age 15 and Paris was one of the most memorable stops. I've been trying to get back there ever since.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I have been to Paris several times, and it is easy to get lost. The last time I went, I took a GPS with me. Life was so much easier when your walking and know exactly where you are going.

Eat the food, and I cannot say that enough. Paris has some excellent eateries.

When my best friend turned thirty, we went there and stayed for a month with my boys. It was great to spend 30 days living just like the natives. We stumbled out of many a bar back in those days.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Please enjoy Paris, JM.

I did when I was there ... but wait: that was 48 years ago. Oh, well, things are probably even better today. There were not McDonald's back then.

I will be staying at the Hotel Louvre Forum. It is located in the first arrondissement. Just a walking distance to the Louvre.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Congrats and enjoy the trip!

Unfortunately I have never been there but I did once entertain a whole bar in Georgetown while on a date by ad libbing a ridiculous French accent. People started requesting that I bring champagne to their table. The bartender sold so many bottles of champagne that night that our table drank all night for free.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Sounds nice man, I hope you enjoy it.
    To be fair I've never really understood the attraction people have with Paris.
    I've heard quite a few tourists who have had negative experiences whilst visiting. I guess you're either lucky or you're not. Although I've lived most of my life in France, i've only made it to Paris a few times, and the last time was quite a while ago. It seems to me Parisiens aren't the most amiable of people, but then that's fairly typical of France. Maybe they're sick of all the tourists

As far as dining goes, I would look up restaurants and customer reviews.
    I'm guessing you already know what you want to see but make sure you read up on it so you don't miss anything.

Be wary of your belongings, and pickpockets. Don't let any one come too close to you. The one and only time I've been pick pocketed was in Geneva (no less) when a guy came up and 'rubbed himself on me', asking me for 'hashish' (the guy wasn't acting right and was probably high on something). As he did this he nipped my walled out of my back pocket, something I realised 20 seconds later. I did get it back in the end...
    I'm not trying to scare you, just telling you the obvious.

I hope you have a great time

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Sounds nice man, I hope you enjoy it.
    To be fair I've never really understood the attraction people have with Paris.
    I've heard quite a few tourists who have had negative experiences whilst visiting. I guess you're either lucky or you're not. Although I've lived most of my life in France, i've only made it to Paris a few times, and the last time was quite a while ago. It seems to me Parisiens aren't the most amiable of people, but then that's fairly typical of France. Maybe they're sick of all the tourists

As far as dining goes, I would look up restaurants and customer reviews.
    I'm guessing you already know what you want to see but make sure you read up on it so you don't miss anything.

Be wary of your belongings, and pickpockets. Don't let any one come too close to you. The one and only time I've been pick pocketed was in Geneva (no less) when a guy came up and 'rubbed himself on me', asking me for 'hashish' (the guy wasn't acting right and was probably high on something). As he did this he nipped my walled out of my back pocket, something I realised 20 seconds later. I did get it back in the end...
    I'm not trying to scare you, just telling you the obvious.

I hope you have a great time

I am drawn to the art, the antiquity of the city and oh the cuisine. I live in a fairly young country compared to Paris. I will love taking photographs of the architecture. I plan on spending time in the Louvre.

I will of course be as cautious as I am in any big city. I will have a wallet designed to protect my money and passport from theft. Since I will be busy taking photo's it would be easy for me to be unaware of what is happening around me.

Thank you I am sure I will have a great time.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I am drawn to the art, the antiquity of the city and oh the cuisine. I live in a fairly young country compared to Paris. I will love taking photographs of the architecture. I plan on spending time in the Louvre.

I will of course be as cautious as I am in any big city. I will have a wallet designed to protect my money and passport from theft. Since I will be busy taking photo's it would be easy for me to be unaware of what is happening around me.

Thank you I am sure I will have a great time.
    Living as he does in Europe, I think audio amateur is somewhat spoiled for Paris by other charming European cities. Coming as you are from the US, JM, I suspect you won't be disappointed by Paris.

I am spending much time on the computer planning the things I will do while I am in Paris. Of course the only important must do's are visiting the Musee de Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay. I will do some tours so I can see much of Paris but I plan on concentrating on my neighborhood in the Right Bank.

I am reading restaurant reviews and learning about tipping practices. I want to visit Le Pure Cafe which you can see in the background of the Windows 7 ad when they are using Paris as a backdrop. The restaurant in the Tower d'Eiffel also looks quite interesting. So much to see, eat and experience.

I hope I do not wear out my camera with all the pictures. I hope to fill my 4 gig compact flash card with images of Paris.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Don't forget, in France it's just kissing, a tickler and fries.

Hey, you want culture how about Novi, MIchigan? C'est magnifique!

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Watch a French film before you go. A couple of titles from dir. Claire Denis are 35 Shots of Rum (2008) and Friday Night (2002) both of which are set in contemporary Paris. Friday Night is supposed to have a magnificent opening scene of Paris at dusk from a roof top.

I haven't seen either film, but Claire Denis is on my to-watch-list of foreign directors.

Thread Information