Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar

Free... At last!

For years I was cursed with the audio disease. I scoured audio magazines reading the amazing stories of how pristine, how closer to nirvana each new iteration of audio gear came. I traveled the highways searching for audio shops that carried this miraculous gear, gear that the magazines promised to satisfy every nuance of my souls desires. Sometimes my search would lead to disappointment and at other times, I would be treated to a sound so soothing that my body would slump into a catatonic state and there I stayed, motionless, until the song ended and reality, once more,drifted into my conscientiousness. Quickly I would start another song and sink back in my chair to be subdued by this magic, but each time I did, the nirvana, the satisfaction, would take a little longer to mesmerize me. After a time, I would lift myself out of my chair confused, unsure of what I experienced and even more unsure of myself. I would wander around the store trying to clear my mind,trying to make sense of what I just experienced. Perhaps an hour would pass, maybe more, but eventually I would find my way to the door leading home knowing in my mind that the next issue of “Audio Whatever” would hold the answer to my seeming never ending search.

Years would pass, new gear would find it way onto my audio rack, and for a while each piece calmed my nerves and brought me a little closer to my minds eye of heaven, but never quite reaching it, and never for long. My search continued and my attempts were only moderated by my wallet. Five years would pass, then ten, followed by even more years. On some days, my stereo would assault me with the most horrific sound. It didn't make sense, but there it was, harsh and unbearable. Not caring how or why, I would grab my car keys and drive as quickly as possible the closest audio store with top of the line gear. After firing up their finest gear,it would only take a moment to realize that my gear sounded like it always did. It was me that changed, perhaps a mood or a state of mind, but whatever it was, it might just as well been real. Thankfully it would pass and the sweetness and purity would return to my ears.

When I wasn't listening or searching, I would spend my time on audio blog sites talking about it. Obsession is too mild of a word for what drove me, a better word would be fanaticism. As is the nature of any dedicated blog page, arguments ensued, names were called, and feelings were hurt, and often a foot or two would find its way to the pie hole. Most posters were good people, people that only wanted to talk about their common interest and perhaps help someone in the process. Then there were the“Others”, so absolute in their beliefs and opinions that nothing else mattered. Respect and dignity for others were of no importance, it was their “Duty” in life to make sure no-one stray off the path of what they they believed to be true. These people, even though their intentions might have been honorable, sucked the life and enjoyment out of the hobby with their never ending consternation. I suppose that's part of the trials and tribulations of any social endeavor, the price we pay.

All these years of searching, throwing money out the window on new gear, and listening to bigoted self righteous self appointed experts takes it toll. And still, after it's all said a done, the holy grail of audio still remains elusive.

I didn't come out of this empty handed. I have what I consider a very nice audio system and the years of pure bliss that came from the hopeful expectations of my search is irreplaceable. The joy that I received was not in the attainment of my quest, but rather from traveling the path towards that end. I have learned that the perfect system does not exist and even if it did, people like us will never be satisfied. Because of this epiphany, I have learned to enjoy and relish what I have and not lament about what could be.

Through all these years, fanatics, like myself, reached out to help me, guiding me through some crucial decisions, and no words can express the gratitude that I feel. All I can say is thank you, one and all, here at audioreview and throughout my travels.

With that said, I'm not going away and I do drop in from time to time.
    Last edited by StevenSurprenant; 01-27-2013 at 05:13 PM.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Then there were the“Others”, so absolute in their beliefs and opinions that nothing else mattered. Respect and dignity for others were of no importance, it was their “Duty” in life to make sure no-one stray off the path of what they they believed to be true. These people, even though their intentions might have been honorable, sucked the life and enjoyment out of the hobby with their never ending consternation.
    I am going to respond only to this part of this silly manifesto. When it comes to hometheater, there are standards firmly in place to ensure a pretty darn close translation of the reproduction from the mixing stage, to the reproduction in our homes. The further you stray from those standards, the more reproduction problems you will have. When one complains about the dynamic range or dialog intelligibility of a soundtrack on film, A mixing engineer would first ask what is wrong with YOUR system, because the dynamic range and dialog in the theater, and on the dubbing stage was perfectly balanced, and clearly heard with no problem. Then you hear, oh it has to be the way you mixed it because my system is perfect. Oh really, then you would not be having dynamic range or dialog intelligibility issues.

When a person is always blaming the software rather than the drawbacks of their system, or its interaction with the room - they are never going to solve the problem, NEVER. When somebody points that out, they are called intolerant - but guess what, the problem is not fixed!

You have constantly made the mistake of thinking that when a person mentions something, it is their own belief. Sometimes it is not. It is based on researched and established protocols that have been thoroughly tested with both amateur and professional folks. If this fact is pointed out to you, and you still choose to go your own way, then do not complain about the problems you are having, they're born out of your own personal stubborn ideology. If you think every one is going to swim in the same direction you are, then you are in for a very rude awakening. That does not happen in real life, just some imaginary one.

Respect and dignity is earned, not given out freely. If you want it, you have to give it. All people are not alike, some direct, and others laid back. If you expect everyone will be just like you, boom, another rude awakening. If you learn to respect people for who they are, you will get along better with everyone. If you expect that online conversation can accurately translate what a person is really means and is feeling, then again you are in for another rude awakening. So much is lost going from face to face to a keyboard and screen - a totally cool person could sound like a A-hole, and it would be so far from the truth.

Lastly, if you are going to fire bullets on your way out the door, then expect bullets when you return. That last impression you leave is the one folks remember the most.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenSurprenant View Post

With that said, I'm not going away and I do drop in from time to time.
    Hey Steve, it's been fun and I hope you continue to find fun and enjoyment in this hobby.

Hey Steve. I agree with 100% of what you said. I use to be very critical of my system while listening to the music and not really enjoying the music the way I should. But I have come to realize this in the past few years and now I just sit back and enjoy the music. Congratulations to you, you have finally found the true meaning of audio nirvana!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Sir T, you amaze me. Actually I was referring to all the people over the years, especially during the wire wars. Your contribution to all that is minimal and hardly noteworthy. Feeling a little self conscious are we?

I have no idea why you keep wanting to make this a personal issue, but it's really a waste of time. I fired no bullets at you and have no interest in doing so in the future.

WHOA... WHOA... WHOA!!!! Peace out everybody!!! Steve... I read and re-read your original post. I'm not going to debate the merits of your quest or the advice you've gotten ove rthe years. That's for you to evaluate and assess. All I know is that I've enjoyed reading what you have to say and I hope you stay around.

Yours...

Worf

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues View Post
    You have driven more people away from this site than anything else and I'm sick of it

Wow is this a new low while complaining about another's behaviors. Guys mods are not able to make any of you be respectful.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 02-02-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Wow is this a new low while complaining about another's behaviors. Guys mods are not able to make any of you be respectful.
    No but they can stop people from posting who break the forum rules over and over. Other than what you responded to, there is only one individual here that abuses the rules and others at every chance he gets.

How come you seem to be OK with that?

Worf, thanks for everything. BTW, since you helped with my Samsung TV, it has been working fine ever since the repair. I can't thank you enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    No but they can stop people from posting who break the forum rules over and over. Other than what you responded to, there is only one individual here that abuses the rules and others at every chance he gets.

How come you seem to be OK with that?
    To punish one who violates forum rules I would need to punish all who violate the rules. Who would be left?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    To punish one who violates forum rules I would need to punish all who violate the rules. Who would be left?
    Good cop out. I guess there is more going on than meets the eye, huh?

Mildly violating rules is not the same thing as what you continue to allow to go on here.

What you have just said is that you would be fine if I said the following to you...
    Okay, I am sick of hearing about lip syncing

Okay, I am sick of hearing about lip syncing

all the things here
    Okay, I am sick of hearing about lip syncing - Page 2
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 02-02-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Hify you make the assumption that this is okay with me. I thought you guys enjoyed this since it keeps happening. Oh and I am chuckling at your inferences. If you do not like a thing do not participate in it. It is debatable who threw the chum in the water but it has become a feeding frenzy.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Hify you make the assumption that this is okay with me. I thought you guys enjoyed this since it keeps happening. Oh and I am chuckling at your inferences. If you do not like a thing do not participate in it. It is debatable who threw the chum in the water but it has become a feeding frenzy.
    It keeps happening because it is allowed to keep happening and if it was not OK, something would be done about it. But it appears that you have given the green light for all of us to be abusive of others since what is good for one is good for all here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    Wow, you sure did bust a gut here WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

If I need a lesson in manners and respect just who is going to be the teacher? You? WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....LOLOLOLOLOLOL...gotta pee(jumping up and down madly).

This post wreaks of hypocrisy coming from a King Hypocrite.
    Anytime Boy. I'll be coming thru Cali next year sometime. Let's meet up then.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

It keeps happening because it is allowed to keep happening and if it was not OK, something would be done about it. But it appears that you have given the green light for all of us to be abusive of others since what is good for one is good for all here.
    It keeps happening because you initiate it in the first place, and you even admitted you did. Once again, you throw chum in the water, and then complain when the shark bites your butt. Action/reaction. No action, no reaction, it is just that simple.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 01-30-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Jeeze, you are scaring the $hit out of me(turns off sarcasm button). You couldn't bust a grape in a wine factory. Go crawl back in the dirt with all this BS. This is not how adults act, it is how children in a sand box act. Now we know you are nothing more than gutter snipe.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Jeeze, you are scaring the $hit out of me(turns off sarcasm button). You couldn't bust a grape in a wine factory. Go crawl back in the dirt with all this BS. This is not how adults act, it is how children in a sand box act. Now we know you are nothing more than gutter snipe.
    So, we have a date then, Punk?

So you are telling me that if one person is abusive you are not able to rise above. I give you permission to become abusive. I control what I do or say and I need no one else to change my actions or behaviors.

We have some members who think we need to moderate more and some miss the days when the AR was not moderated. If we banned folks based on current popularity how many of us might be gone due to a differing opinion or perceived value to the group.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by StevenSurprenant View Post
    Worf, thanks for everything. BTW, since you helped with my Samsung TV, it has been working fine ever since the repair. I can't thank you enough.
    Can't tell you how glad that makes me feel. You've thanked me plenty... enjoy the superbowl in High Def!!

Worf

So, we have a date then, Punk?
    Sorry, I don't entertain gutter rats, they carry diseases. I also don't date men, but I am not bothered if you do.

The only point you are making here is that you lack class. That is it. You don't scare or intimidate me, you are not going to change me, and you have exposed yourself for who you truly are in plain view for all to see. You have proven your high road is really nothing more than a gutter.

Do you shoot yourself in the foot often? It must really hurt when you do.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 01-30-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Sorry, I don't entertain gutter rats, they carry diseases. I also don't date men, but I am not bothered if you do.

The only point you are making here is that you lack class. That is it. You don't scare or intimidate me, you are not going to change me, and you have exposed yourself for who you truly are in plain view for all to see. You have proven your high road is really nothing more than a gutter.

Do you shoot yourself in the foot often?
    And there you have it folks....the boy is ALL MOUTH.

I apologize for my rudeness to all most everyone but I just wanted to expose this wannabe as the cyber bully that he truly is.

I'm outta here.

And the typical childlike response in ......3.....2....1...
    Last edited by Luvin Da Blues; 01-30-2013 at 07:54 PM.

And there you have it folks....the boy is ALL MOUTH.

I apologize for my rudeness to all most everyone but I just wanted to expose this wannabe as the cyber bully that he truly is.

I'm outta here.
    If I am all mouth, what exactly have you played out here..all huff and puff, like a wolf living out his Three Pigs fantasy.

They only thing you have exposed is that you know how to step in $hit, and enjoy the smell.

Let the door hit ya on the way out big bad wolf. LOLOLOLOLOL.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

So you want me to babysit adults?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

AR get together. We had one in Chicago. Great time who else is coming?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

And there you have it folks....

Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I also don't date men, but I am not bothered if you do.
    I think he would date you if you take him out for dinner first. A little food, a little wine, and thou... That would be more to his liking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information