Back when GM was "GM"

No sense crying for what was... but I thought some gear heads here might like this little trip down automotive history of what was once the worlds largest corporation General Motors.

http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10...g=nefd.gallery

My how the mighty have fallen...

Da Worfster

Who am I now?

WTH are you saying about me Mr Worf?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Those were the days. Thanks for sending it along Worf. As a kid, I remember sitting around the TV in October, waiting for a sneak preview of the new models. Some were gaudy, and some were classics, but they all had there own individuality and style. Each year they changed, inside and out. Sad what's happened to a lot of American companies. I worked for Kodak for 37 years. Now just a shell of what it once was. The digital age got them. Sad thing is, they actually developed a digital camera back in the 70's. Never brought it to market for fear of shooting themselves in the foot.
    Sad for our kids today. So many good paying manufacturing jobs are now outsourced overseas. What's the "middle class" going to do for jobs? Not everyone can get a 4 year degree. Not everyone can work at Walmart. Really sad. Greed took over and no one noticed till it was too late. Same on the CEO's. Shame on the government and us for letting them get away with it.

Well well...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    WTH are you saying about me Mr Worf?
    Let me say this about that... I'm saying that you are a "yellowbellied polecat of dubious anticedence and questionable progeny". Bonus points for whoever gets this quote. Not you, you cretin, the car company doofus. LOL, god you guys rise to the bait so easily.

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Let me say this about that... I'm saying that you are a "yellowbellied polecat of dubious anticedence and questionable progeny". Bonus points for whoever gets this quote. Not you, you cretin, the car company doofus. LOL, god you guys rise to the bait so easily.

Da Worfster
    Well, in that case. Thank you.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Spot on...

Quote Originally Posted by luvtolisten
    Those were the days. Thanks for sending it along Worf. As a kid, I remember sitting around the TV in October, waiting for a sneak preview of the new models. Some were gaudy, and some were classics, but they all had there own individuality and style. Each year they changed, inside and out. Sad what's happened to a lot of American companies. I worked for Kodak for 37 years. Now just a shell of what it once was. The digital age got them. Sad thing is, they actually developed a digital camera back in the 70's. Never brought it to market for fear of shooting themselves in the foot.
    Sad for our kids today. So many good paying manufacturing jobs are now outsourced overseas. What's the "middle class" going to do for jobs? Not everyone can get a 4 year degree. Not everyone can work at Walmart. Really sad. Greed took over and no one noticed till it was too late. Same on the CEO's. Shame on the government and us for letting them get away with it.
    Your words ring so true. It's a shame too, cause I KNOW in my heart of hearts that, like in your instance, that somewhere in the bowels of every major failed American giant are thousands of memo's from middle or lower management warning the bosses that a storm was coming.

Effin' hidebound idiots. They'll be fine but the everyone from middle management on down is paying for it in the neck with unemployment or reduced pensions or worse yet, no pensions at all. So sad, but it also makes me angry and mad.

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by luvtolisten
    Yeah, as a kid I went to see Motorama shows in Montreal; great fun they were.

The US uses a unique definition of "middle class", i.e. that apparently includes even mimimum wage earns if provided they've got a full time job. The majority of working Americans ought to stop being flattering by the media and realize that they are really working class or what the Europeans used to call petit bourgeoisie, (small business owners or self-employed), not middle class in the classic usage.

Face the facts: the glory days of the US were the 19th and first half of the 20th centuries. Abundant resources, including cheap land, minerals, coal & oil feed a tremendous boom that catapulted the US to the leading world economy and military superpower. Sadly Americans labor under the delusion that rugged individualism and their republican political system deserves most of the credit for American greatness; the truth is that these were positive but minor factors.

What can the US expect today with depleted resources and growing reliance on foreign sources? What can American workers expect when counterparts in in China and India earn 10¢ on the dollar? It's all downhill, folks. They can believe the fart-talk of the arsehole conservative pundits, but believing that crap will only hasten their impoverishment.

I hear the arseholes seemingly appealed that the US might be drifting towards a European model of government. Americans ought to hope so; Europe has its problems but it has been relatively successful in coping with a world where it must cope with foreign sources for natural resources and foreign competion while still providing citizens with a more than basic health care, education, and a modicum of economic security.
    Last edited by Feanor; 07-07-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Geeze, I'll take (four beers) and a whiskey chaser, after that, Worf Man!

Thread Information