eMachine computers any good

I think my computer (Compaq) is on its last leg as it keep crashing and to get it back, have to use the restore CD.

I was looking at something real basic since I don't play games or watch movies on computer. eMachine have couple of models under $400 which I am looking at, but don't have any experience with that brand. My only concern with computers is reliability since my Compaq almost going on ten years of service.

eMachine have a basic model for $300 but reviews on it are a mix bag. So wonder if anybody have actual experience with one and how are they in after sale service?

Thanks.

Suspended
    I bought an E-machine for my daughter, now 11, cost was some where between $300.00 & $400.00. This was maybe 3 years ago, it was when Vista first became available on them. Any way it is still working. I can't say about the customer service, I haven't had to use them. I believe Gateway now owns emachine. When emachine first hit the market they were a nightmare but now seem to have become a viable product. Based on my experience I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. My first computer was a Compaq and it lasted for years. My friends made fun of me because it was so outdated, but it still worked great. Unfortunately, Compaq was bought by HP. I would buy nothing from HP, they suck, their customer service sucks.

I haven't been in a position to use their customer service but from what I've seen of eMachines computers the hardware is extremely similar to that in the computers by the bigger names. They get their motherboards, memory, drives, etc. from the same group of manufacturers with the same chipsets as HP/Compaq, Dell, Gateway and the like.

Thanks Peabody and audionoob for response.

I knew about Compaq being bought out by HP, and that why I'm little hesitant to buy a Compaq since also my co-worker also had bad experience with HP computer. She said before the warranty was up, she had to send her computer in for repair.

With Compaq being bought out by HP and eMachine by Gateway, it really does narrow down computer choices for consumers, especially on the lower end. Gateway and Dell seem slightly over priced with Acer falling somewhere in between.

eMachine as audionoob mentioned seem to carry also the same specifications and parts as major brand, but at much lower price. Usually support system seem to suffer when cutting price and I am guessing-along with few hardware corners.

Btw Mr Peabody, what was your bad experience with HP?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    I think my computer (Compaq) is on its last leg as it keep crashing and to get it back, have to use the restore CD.

I was looking at something real basic since I don't play games or watch movies on computer. eMachine have couple of models under $400 which I am looking at, but don't have any experience with that brand. My only concern with computers is reliability since my Compaq almost going on ten years of service.

eMachine have a basic model for $300 but reviews on it are a mix bag. So wonder if anybody have actual experience with one and how are they in after sale service?

Thanks.
    Reliability is the big thing for me in computers. You're never really going to defeat software problems but hardware should be very reliable, IMO. I'm not knocking eMachines but will mention reliability data that indicates possible other choices. BTW, I have a fairly low opinion of HP and Compaq products based on my own experience.

The Tom's Hardware site, (a real nerds' place), has published its recent ratings HERE. Note that Asus is top rated based on service calls. Note HERE that PC Mag has also rated Asus top among PCs based on user surveys, (Apple is actually first). Maxiumum PC also rates Asus tops, see HERE, based on customer survey.

OK, so have you ever heard of Asus? Well if you're as nerdy as me you will have. Asus has been for many years an OEM supplier of motherboards. I myself have assembled two or three computers based on Asus boards and never had any trouble with them; the boards also have by far the best documentation for the constructor. More recently Asus has begun to sell complete desktops and laptops under their own name. Check them out: the have computers in all price ranges. E.g. look HERE at Asus products at TigerDirect.com.
    Last edited by Feanor; 08-14-2010 at 10:34 AM.

+1 for Asus. My parent's desktop uses Asus motherboard, running a Pentium III daily since 2001 and still going strong!
    My next laptop will be Asus for sure.

Suspended
    Good info Feanor.

Smokey, I don't remember the particulars now but my sister-in-law bought their family a HP and it gave them nothing but problems, they had to fight with customer service, they didn't even want to honor their own warranty. I made a mistake and bought a HP all-in-one printer that was a piece of junk but cost me a chunk of change. Several people I know have similar stories.

From what I understand Acer isn't very good either. Especially the laptops. My wife had one that didn't last very long. I recently bought my other daughter a Toshiba laptop for $349.00, I'll have to see how this turns out. On a side note I bought it from Office Max, as I was checking out the girl tried to sell me an extended warranty, saying if it was dropped etc. etc. they'd fix it or replace it, I'm thinking since it's for a kid this sounds pretty good. So we had a question she couldn't answer so we began to look at the warranty paper, come to find out the warranty didn't do anything she said, all it would cover is if you got a "lemon" and gave some phone assistance. Needless, to say I just paid for the laptop and left.

If you really want just a basic computer and you're looking for a deal, I might suggest a used business computer. They're good quality...better than the entry-level home PC...and they're obviously going to be a small fraction of their original cost. Example:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/sys/1898088400.html

I didn't read all of the response post, but for that price range and reliability I would look at a Dell system. E-machines was a bare bones system with close to no support.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thanks evereybody for responses, and Feanor's links were good info. Never paid attention to Ausus, but I see couple of models in Bestbuy web site. They seem to be good value for the money and not too expensive as compared to other basic models.

I also see IBM top the chart in Feanor's link for reliability, but have not seen IBM computer in any stores. One question about the reliability chart is since HP/Compaq have bigger share of market, wouldn't also naturally repair report percentages will also be higher.

But either way, on Sundays stores usually put out their weekly sale brochure and will check to see what desktop PC is on sale. Notebooks are nice, but they are not for me.
    Last edited by Smokey; 08-14-2010 at 10:27 PM.

I also see IBM top the chart in Feanor's link for reliability, but have not seen IBM computer in any stores.
    There are no more IBM PCs. Several years ago IBM sold its PC division that now operates under the name Lenovo.
    Last edited by Feanor; 08-15-2010 at 07:03 AM.

I have a Lenovo netbook and at one time had a IBM business computer that I used as a home PC.

My netbook had a heat problem. When I called Lenovo about it on a Monday, they sent me a shipping box by FedEx overnight with an overnight return label to Memphis. I sent the computer back on Tuesday. They repaired it and shipped it overnight to me. I received the repaired computer on either Thursday or Friday...can't remember which. So I was disappointed with the heat problem but impressed by the customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    My netbook had a heat problem. When I called Lenovo about it on a Monday, they sent me a shipping box by FedEx overnight with an overnight return label to Memphis. I sent the computer back on Tuesday. They repaired it and shipped it overnight to me. I received the repaired computer on either Thursday or Friday...can't remember which. So I was disappointed with the heat problem but impressed by the customer service.
    That is what I call service!

I bought a 17 inch Viewsonic computer monitor couple of years ago, and it died on me in two months. So their service department (in India ) told me to pack the (CRT) monitor and send it somewhere in east to be repaired. And it will take 4 to 6 weeks.

I told them to stick it

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    There are no more IBM PCs. Several years ago IBM sold its PC division that now operates under the name Lenovo.
    My daughter has one of their Laptops, she got it free from google (they gave 4 to her high School) she was pick for being an outstanding Student. I would not have bought it myself, but for free with win 7 and MS Office save me over a 1K, So she is set to head off to college this fall.

HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Welp....

If you're looking at bare bones type systems... NewEgg and the other parts sellers usually make BB systems as well. I never knew Asus was in the system building business. I roll my own and have built my last 4 systems. I plan on building a new one within the year, probably when AMD puts out another round of chips. If you were a gamer I'd recommend you building your own but since you're just looking for a basic system looking into Cyberpower, they're a decent second tier manu, or go with the Asus recommendation.

Worf

Thanks Worf, but I was look at Sunday paper and local Office-Depot have Compaq PC on sale this week for $279 ($50 off).

It is awfully tempting:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...Computer-With/
    Last edited by Smokey; 08-16-2010 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks Worf, but I want something real simple.

I look at Sunday paper and local Office-Depot have Compaq PC on sale this week for $279 ($50 off).

It is awfully tempting:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...Computer-With/
    Can't see how you'd go wrong with that one.

Thanks audionoob

This PC seem to be only model from Compaq and maybe the last. I certainly rather have this one than eMachine that almost cost the same.

Suspended
    It seems there are a lot of Compaq close outs for some reason. BB blew out a Compaq laptop for $299.00. It was a full blown laptop, crazy price.

Wow, that is a good price. It seem christmas in July

If HP decide to pull Compaq name off the market, the name Compaq will be remembered in good light. My Compaq PC outlasted three monitors in last 10 years.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Not for nuthin', but things to consider from someone that has a veritable ziggurat of computers...I have 2 HP, 1 heavily modded HP, an e-Machine, a "frankensteiner" and an HP laptop...of all of them the "e" has been the least-maintenance, trouble-free...

As of a year ago...Dell transferred all their service and manufacturing to Mexico...the results have been predictable. "E-Machine" was taken over by Gateway...QC, dramatically improved.... the problems were resourced... do what you will...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

My Heavens!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Not for nuthin', but things to consider from someone that has a veritable ziggurat of computers...I have 2 HP, 1 heavily modded HP, an e-Machine, a "frankensteiner" and an HP laptop...of all of them the "e" has been the least-maintenance, trouble-free...

As of a year ago...Dell transferred all their service and manufacturing to Mexico...the results have been predictable. "E-Machine" was taken over by Gateway...QC, dramatically improved.... the problems were resourced... do what you will...
    Man put that thesaurus down!!!! Last time I encountered that nugget Robert E. Howard's famous barbarian was climbing one to get at some nefarious wizard.

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Man put that thesaurus down!!!! Last time I encountered that nugget Robert E. Howard's famous barbarian was climbing one to get at some nefarious wizard.

Worf
    I thnk I caught it, (ziggurat), on Discovery Civilization a few of years ago.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Worf
    Lol, we live in synergy my Klingon friend...the last time I heard it was in Steve Baron's "Nexus"....
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Man put that thesaurus down!!!!
    I thought bobstick was using pig latin

But thanks for advice on eMachine sticks. That is reassuring in case the Compaq might be out of stock.

Thread Information