DVD Ripping Questions?

OK, this is what I want to do but I don't know how.

I want to rip DVDs onto a HD and stream them to my PS3 for viewing. I plan on getting a 2nd PS3 to stream content up front as well. I have close to 700 gigs so plenty of room.

I don't know which internal DVD drive to get or what software to use though.

Suspended
    I'm gonna drive this thread RIGHT INTO THE GROUND!!!

GB you know about this stuff right?

Rich!!!!!!!

Suspended

Okay. Let's analyze this...

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    OK, this is what I want to do but I don't know how.
    Mrs. L.J. can probably help you out.
    I want to rip DVDs onto a HD and stream them to my PS3 for viewing.
    Illegal!
    I plan on getting a 2nd PS3 to stream content up front as well.
    You WHAT??? Looks like he gave in to his own medicine!
    I have close to 700 gigs so plenty of room.
    You're going to need most of that 700 gigs for when I start loading you up with questions about my PS3.
    I don't know which internal DVD drive to get or what software to use though.
    I have this one... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151141 and I use Nero.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Mrs. L.J. can probably help you out.

Illegal!

You WHAT??? Looks like he gave in to his own medicine!

You're going to need most of that 700 gigs for when I start loading you up with questions about my PS3.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=ps3+settings

I have this one... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151141 and I use Nero.
    Umm...which Nero?

Suspended
    I have Nero Ultra Edition 5, which is now Ultra Edition 8. It ain't cheap, and I'm sure there are more economical versions for what you want to do.

Ummm... L.J. You do realize how many spammers post topics that look just like yours right? Anyway, you need pretty good processing power from your PC to do this type of thing AFAIK. What type of rig do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I have Nero Ultra Edition 5, which is now Ultra Edition 8. It ain't cheap, and I'm sure there are more economical versions for what you want to do.

Ummm... L.J. You do realize how many spammers post topics that look just like yours right? Anyway, you need pretty good processing power from your PC to do this type of thing AFAIK. What type of rig do you own?
    Basic Dell desktop. About 4 maybe 5 years old. Intel Pent. 4 2.4GHZ proc. 768mbs of RAM. Oh and I don't think it supports the SATA interface. I may be wrong though. Can you tell I'm not up to date with all this computer stuff

Hmmm....maybe this is a bad idea.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Oh, it's a good idea. A great one actually. So great that the entire media industry would like to make it very difficult for you to do...

Fundamentally, you need to break the encryption algorithm that prevents duplication/ripping of a DVD. This is the illegal part. You won't find software commercially available in the US to do it. Nero 8 Ultra's web page say s"Born2Burn™? Rip audio CDs and non-copy-protected DVDs quickly and easily with the world’s leading burning engine."

This was a pretty good and 'informative' article
    http://keznews.com/3980_Is_Microsoft...n_DVD_Ripping_

Suspended
    A few years ago L.J. I was able to make a copy of KILL BILL from a DVD I rented, using some freeware that would strip off uneeded files to make it fit onto a blank DVD, DVDShrink or something like that; you may be able to find it but like noddin' says and which I kinda pointed out earlier as well, HDCP is NOT your friend.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Oh, it's a good idea. A great one actually. So great that the entire media industry would like to make it very difficult for you to do...

Isn't Sony a co-developer of HD Copy Protection? Or is it all Microsoft's fault?

Hey, I never said I was gonna stand in front of the mall slaggin' burned DVDs.

My intentions are good. I see what you guys are saying though.

Well I got it all worked out. Picked up a cheap DVD drive from CC for 29.99, did a few searches and eventually found step by step instructions on what I was trying to do. I did about 5 movies so far and all playback perfectly. I was able to take out the menus and extras to save so HD space. I'm pretty much gonna stick to animation for my kids so I should be able to fit 100 or so movies on my 500g HD.

Suspended
    "The management of AR.com neither condones nor encourages the practice of making illegal copies of copyrighted material."

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    1 Click DVD Pro is an excellent way to copy NON-copywritten material on a DVD. Simply click "copy" and it does its magic.

If by chance you need to make a "backup" of a movie YOU OWN. You also need to search the web for a free little program called "DVD43". It works with 1 Click. And happens to help get around the encryption.

I must of couse mention that under the new copyright law, it is NOT illegal to make copies of material you own. However IT IS a crime to circumvent ANY anti-piracy measure such as encryption. Funny huh?
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Thread Information