Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    Come join Home
    Thanks, dean. That site looks like a terrific resource. Doesn't seem to accept gmail or yahoo for registration so I'm currently locked out; but I'll lurk a bit an map out my next taste.
    TCA ATT GGA

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Just made my second stop on my Pensacola, FL whiskey ( and other alcohol) hunt. Found a couple of selections from Buffalo Trace's Colonel E.H. Taylor label. The straight rye is too expensive, but the small batch bourbon is reasonable enough to try. I wasn't sure the Col. Taylor line would make it out of KY and bigger markets. I haven't been on a whiskey hunt with a little money in my pocket in a while.

And for non alcoholic drink of the month...

Carrot juice with Vanilla ice cream. Mix to creamy consistency

March

Here's a recipe for a classic cocktail - The Old Fashioned:

2 oz. bourbon or rye
    2-3 dashes Peychauds Bitters
    1 tsp simple syrup
    2 maraschino cherries
    2 orange slices

Add bourbon or rye, bitters and simple syrup to cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously for 15 seconds. Fill a rocks glass half-full with crushed or cubed ice. Strain contents of shaker into glass. Drop in cherry and orange slice. Garnish with remaining cherry and orange slice.

tips: you can be more liberal with the bitters; add packet of sugar and a little water to a small bowl and heat in microwave for 15-25 seconds for quick simple syrup; confectioner's sugar is a great sub for regular sugar.

Non-alcoholic drink: I've been picking up Sprite with real cane sugar made and bottled in Mexico at a local convenience store. Other than an occasional rum and Coke during the hotter months, I swore off dark sodas a long time ago (New Coke backlash). Sprite is my soda of choice and the Mexican Sprite is good.

Ughhhh!! I don't have a new drink this month. But I did have a wonderful Manhattan at the Palm Restaurant in San Antonio during my anniversary dinner with the wife. She had the Palmarita which she enjoyed very much.

We also had decent Bloody Marys at a bistro called Cochineal in Marfa, TX on Sunday. I had a side of bacon with mine - 2 strips. I dropped one in the Bloody Mary. I think it's going to be my new "thing".

I've slowly discovered how to get the best drinks at the best places when we travel. You don't have to eat at a fancy restaurant (and pay those menu prices) to get their good drinks. I've had the best martinis at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis (didn't have a room) and at a steakhouse in Philly (didn't order food), Sazeracs at the Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans (didn't have a room) and the Farmer's Cabinet in Philly, and a scrumptious bourbon milk punch at the Bourbon House in New Orleans without having to pay for extraneous stuff. Next time I'm in a city with a Palm Restaurant, I'm going to their bar for a Manhattan. It was that good. Although the food is wonderful, I'll go elsewhere for a meal unless it's truly a special occasion.

Suspended
    I love to have chikku(sapota) milkshake.This summer I am interested to take all fruit juices and milkshakes.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Drink of the month-bells-oberon.jpg

Bell's Oberon is here!
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bells-oberon.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	9289

Bell's Oberon is here!
    That's a great summer brew!

MAY - It's a big month for drinks!

Two special occasions this month cry out for drink recipes. After going back and forth between occasions/drinks (only briefly), I decided to include both recipes.

First is the traditional Kentucky Derby Day mint julep! Put on your fancy hat and hope it doesn’t rain in Louisville tomorrow.

2 oz bourbon whiskey
    3 or 4 whole mint leaves
    Simple syrup, to taste
    Mint leaf, dusted with sugar, for garnish

Muddle mint leaves, simple syrup and bourbon in a cocktail shaker until mint is blended in. Add ice. Shake until well blended. Strain into a julep cup filled with shaved ice. Garnish with sugar-coated mint sprig and enjoy!

A few words about this recipe: It came from KegWorks and it originally called for a dash of mint bitters. There are several recipes online that do not call for mint bitters. I’ve never used mint bitters, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t. If you have mint bitters, then by all means use it. If you don’t, then don’t worry about it.

As for bourbon, I’ve been impressed with Bulleit in cocktails lately and I think its distinctive taste will go well in a mint julep. It’s also a value purchase. Bulleit makes a rye whiskey too so read the label carefully.

Muddling: It’s simple. You might want to try it in a bowl rather than your shaker. Use a utensil like the butt of knife if you don’t have a muddler. Add ingredients and press down on the mint leaves until they’re bruised and they start to break up. The idea is to “extract” the extract from the leaves – not to pummel them into submission. You can then transfer the ingredients from the bowl to the shaker.

You must use shaved or crushed ice.

All historical accounts of the mint julep say to drink it fast. It’s not a sipper.

Sunday is Cinco de Mayo! I don’t usually make my own margaritas, but I’ve found that the classic recipe is quite simple.

Kosher salt
    1 thin lime wedge (for rim of glass)
    Ice
    1 ½ oz silver agave tequila
    1 oz triple sec
    ½ oz freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 lime)
    1 thin lime slice for garnish

Pour enough salt on a small plate to cover it. Rub the lime wedge on the outside of a 4 oz cocktail glass. Dip the outside of the rim in the salt until the rim is coated. Fill the glass with ice and place it in the freezer to chill. Add the tequila, triple sec and lime juice into a cocktail shaker half filled with ice. Shake vigorously until outside of shaker frosts. Strain into the chilled glass and garnish with lime slice.

Charm Thai™
    Hopslam for me tonight! So damn tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    Hopslam for me tonight! So damn tasty.

I've only read about and seen pictures of Hopslam. Hard to find in my neck of the woods. Not sure we even get it unless on tap at a beer pub.

Charm Thai™
    Hi Dean Oh I recommend it highly if you can get it.

Suspended
    Cool drinks in this summer is nice I think.

June

Half the month is gone and I didn't come up with anything so I'm taking the easy way out. This month it's "Foreign" whisky. Scotch, Irish, Japanese, Indian (I saw Amrut from India for the first time this weekend), and Canadian, too, I guess. If you'll notice, the US is the only place where whisk(e)y is spelled with an "e".

Scotch is a world unto itself. There are several regions of distilling in Scotland such as the Highlands, Speyside and Islay. Each region seems to have its own flavor profile and each distiller in a region has its own take on the profile. For example, you can expect brine and heavy smoked peat from many of the Islay whiskies. It's a unique taste that may take some getting used to but a peat bomb is an experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drink of the month-2013-05-05_13-31-09_559.jpg   Drink of the month-2013-05-05_13-52-06_963.jpg  

Suspended
    Hot corn soup. Nice weather here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information