Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

I'm going back to school!

I might be crazy, but I've decided to go back to college part-time. I start a Business/Marketing course in September. It's something that I've been thinking about doing for a while now.

Every few years I look at this program with interest but there were always other courses and designations to get that were more closely linked to my job. I changed jobs a few years ago and I see myself going in a direction where this program will actually be very helpful now. So I thought, what the hell, why not.

Besides, since Lost isn't on anymore and FlashForward was cancelled I'll have a lot more free time this Fall and Winter. Might as well put that time to good use.

Chicago IL
    That is great. I am almost done with my associate and soon I will start bachelors in accounting and management.

Suspended
    You go girl!

I am actually in training this week since the owners of our company bought one of our competitors and merged them with us. Now I have to learn all their software and support it along with what we already support.

Aces!

Go FA!

good luck with the studies, have a great time back at college too, just don't be drunk all the time

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I know you will do well. Be careful around the young men wanting to be study buddies. Wow mental image of FA in a Catholic school girls uniform.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Nice! I'm sure you'll skew/screw the curve for those bratty conventional students.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Wow mental image of FA in a Catholic school girls uniform.
    Wow John! I was expecting that comment from GMichael, not from you! LMAO!

Thanks for the support everyone. I'm looking forward to this course. It's something that I've been wanting to do for a long time. It's not going to be easy, but hopefully it'll pay off in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    That is great. I am almost done with my associate and soon I will start bachelors in accounting and management.
    Hmmmm. I might need your help.

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    Go FA!

good luck with the studies, have a great time back at college too, just don't be drunk all the time

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Ah, yes, those were the days. Back at University in my early 20's with too many hours between classes and a really nice pub in the same building.

Now, between full-time work, my guitar lessons, my husband, home renovations, and part-time studies, I won't have time to drink!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I just completed my classes for Dog training and Dog psychology and have now been certified by Cesar Milan, the Dog whisperer himself.

I plan on starting a dog training business soon, and already have about 10 clients waiting for me to get started.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Congrats!!!

The quest for knowledge is a wonderful thing. Good for you. I do feel sorry for your class mates though. Older students with life experience tend the blow the average underclassman out of the water. When I went back after 3.5 years on Uniform I smacked dem kids round pretty good. I know you'll do at least as well, probably better!!!

Good luck.

Worf

Suspended
    After being RIF'd from a company I was with for 10 years, I went back to college at age 41 in 1994. I had my associates in Electronics, but wanted a four year degree to be more employable. I stayed an extra semester to get a second major in Computer Hardware.

Overall it was a very good experience. You'll have a substantial advantage over traditional students --- since you actually want to study. A word to the wise. For group projects, try to place yourself with other non-traditional students. The project will take less effort and everyone does their share. The finished projects are generally much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I just completed my classes for Dog training and Dog psychology and have now been certified by Cesar Milan, the Dog whisperer himself.

I plan on starting a dog training business soon, and already have about 10 clients waiting for me to get started.
    That sounds like fun! I would love to work with animals. If I had to make a total career change I think that I would become a Veterinary Assistant. Unfortunately, they don't make enough money to feed my Diva needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    The quest for knowledge is a wonderful thing. Good for you. I do feel sorry for your class mates though. Older students with life experience tend the blow the average underclassman out of the water.
    I'm doing the classes through the college's faculty of continuing education, and they are all evening and weekend classes. So I expect that most of the students will be in a similar situation to mine...working full-time and taking steps to further their careers. Although it would be nice to be in class of inexperienced dummies who can make me look good through their sheer stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    After being RIF'd from a company I was with for 10 years, I went back to college at age 41 in 1994. I had my associates in Electronics, but wanted a four year degree to be more employable. I stayed an extra semester to get a second major in Computer Hardware.
    Good for you! I love to hear success stories of people going back to school later in life. I know that Hyfi did the same a few years back.

My husband took Electronics at DeVry when we were dating but it was too expensive and he had to quit after two semesters. I recently suggested to him that if he ever wanted to go back, we were in a much better financial position now and could afford it. He's since settled in nicely to a different career, but I know that in his heart he wishes he'd been able to finish the Electronics courses.

Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    Overall it was a very good experience. You'll have a substantial advantage over traditional students --- since you actually want to study. A word to the wise. For group projects, try to place yourself with other non-traditional students. The project will take less effort and everyone does their share. The finished projects are generally much better.
    That's great advice. Thanks. I've seen the outline for the course I've registered for in September and there is one group assignment and presentation worth 25% of our mark. I'll try to search out the more "mature" and professional looking people in the class for the group.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I might be crazy, but I've decided to go back to college part-time. I start a Business/Marketing course in September. It's something that I've been thinking about doing for a while now.

Good luck with it FA, and I hope you enjoy.

As a retired person, and as a person who has two degrees in business and earned a third in accounting, the though of studying those subject further make me nauseous. What's more, on reflection I realize that those studies did FA (pardon the pun) for my career -- better luck in your case

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Good luck with it FA, and I hope you enjoy.

As a retired person, and as a person who has two degrees in business and earned a third in accounting, the though of studying those subject further make me nauseous. What's more, on reflection I realize that those studies did FA (pardon the pun) for my career -- better luck in your case
    I've been waiting for the day that someone used FA that way. I'm very suprised that it took so long!

Thanks for the good wishes Feanor.

I've been waiting for the day that someone used FA that way. I'm very suprised that it took so long!

Thanks for the good wishes Feanor.
    I meant no offence; I hope none was taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I meant no offence; I hope none was taken.
    No offense taken at all. I thought it was funny!

Bold move FA. I'm sure you'll do great. The more interested you are in a subject, the easier it is to learn.

JM,

Thanks for covering for me while I was out.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I know you will do well. Be careful around the young men wanting to be study buddies. Wow mental image of FA in a Catholic school girls uniform.
    Lol...wow...that's not even right...or maybe it's so right it's wrong...

Fall Girl, you'll do great. I think it's a great decision and I fully support anyone who seeks self-improvement no matter what stage of life...and I'm sure if you run into any hottie grad students you'll aprise me of the situation. I need to get to Toronto anyhoo...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Good Luck to you, FA!

My wife got her education while on the job - took a while, but it paid off for as her degree was instrumental in their decision to promote her rather than recruit elsewhere.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Bobsticks, don't you have a significant other? You naughty boy!

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    Good Luck to you, FA!

My wife got her education while on the job - took a while, but it paid off for as her degree was instrumental in their decision to promote her rather than recruit elsewhere.
    Thanks 3LB. That's exactly the position that I see myself in in a couple of years. I work for a very small company. Our President will likely retire in the next few years. Which means that everyone else will have the opportunity to move up a notch. I've got the skills and experience to move up our corporate ladder, but on paper I don't really have the qualifications. I'm trying to think ahead and hoping that these courses will take care of that. And if that doesn't happen, at least it'll sweeten my resume to look elsewhere.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    JM,

Thanks for covering for me while I was out.

You know I got your back.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Bobsticks, don't you have a significant other? You naughty boy!
    She's become a liability so it's time to trade up...besides, scholastic, brainy-chicks are where it's at...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    She's become a liability so it's time to trade up...besides, scholastic, brainy-chicks are where it's at...
    Work the work playa, I'm no hater. Sometimes the game keeps you sane.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs