Thread: DNC versus RNC

Ajani

DNC versus RNC

Time for another thread about politics... I can just imagine what some of our members are thinking already----->

Anyway, Both the Democrat and Republican conventions are almost over, so I though we could share opinions on how they went....

To be honest, as an outsider, I was more impressed with the DNC (though I will reserve final judgement untill McCain speaks tonight - since his speech could change everything)...

The DNC ran like a carefully crafted film, with daily themes being addressed with fantastic speeches by prominent democrats... Each day of the convention showed specific reasons to vote for Obama/Biden and not to vote for McCain... And in the end, Obama laid out a clear strategy of over 20 policy points that he would implement if elected... The entire DNC made a strong case for Obama's presidency and tied McCain to Bush's failed policies...

The RNC so far, has done a decent job of showing why people should be concerned about voting for Obama/Biden... The major issue of "What has he done?" was really well emphasized.... They made a strong case that he has lots of dreams but essentially no results so far to back up those dreams... They also managed (through Huckabee and Palin) to dispell the myth that Republicans are all rich snots.... The problem for me is that they failed to really show why someone (who is unhappy with the last 8 years of Bush) should vote for McCain/Palin... For a pair of mavericks (famed for being willing to attack the status quo and buck heads with their own party officials) they have not been willing to buck heads with or really distance themselves from one of the most unpopular presidential administrations (George Walker Bush and Dick Head Cheney) in american history.... They really need to either embrace G.W. Bush and D.H. Cheney (and accept the consequences of such) or to truly distance themselves from those two and show how they plan to initiate "The right kind of change"....

Suspended
    Had Cheney, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz not ruined the political careers of Colin Powell and Condaleza Rice, who knows... maybe we'd have an African-American man AND woman running for the highest offices in the land.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    It's still early, but I don't think I've ever seen the conventions produce as little substance on policies and issues as this year's.
    I don't really know what Obama's mission is other than he's "not more of the same" and seems like a great guy...
    I don't know what McCain stands for other than he's got more experience than Obama when, not if, the terrorists attack again or we go to war...and he sorta looks like he could still handle himself in a bar scrap.

Bush Sr./Dukakis campaign may have been even more boring...but it's close.

I do think the RNC got railroaded by Gustav and then spent most of its time recovering from the Palin gossip. I can't believe any of that even made the news. Democrats wouldn't judge her by those family issues, and Republicans will support her blindly anyway so their all basically non-issues. What politician doesn't use their clout for personal gain or revenge? Zzzz....Net effect - it kept the RNC in damage-control mode instead of letting them kickstart the campaign, but I doubt it hurts much in the end.

I don't think things will really pick up until all the nasty attack ads start hitting TV...we ain't seen nuthin' yet....

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc

I do think the RNC got railroaded by Gustav

Newsflash: Pat Robertson just released a statement in which he proclaimed that Gustav's interruption of the RNC was God's passing judgment on the politics of the last 8 years - no, not really. But it is odd that both parties are running on change.

Suspended
    "Running on change"?! Are you kidding? Millions & millions are being spent on these circuses!!!

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Isn't your election over yet? Holy geez I've never seen a process so bloody long.

Our PM is expected to announce an election within the next week and we'll head to the polls on October 14th. Our election hasn't even been officially announced yet and we'll still head to the polls three weeks before you all do.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Isn't your election over yet? Holy geez I've never seen a process so bloody long.

Our PM is expected to announce an election within the next week and we'll head to the polls on October 14th. Our election hasn't even been officially announced yet and we'll still head to the polls three weeks before you all do.

Announced? You mean you don't have a predetermined date already planned out? Kind of like a pop quiz?
    Hope you studied.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    "Running on change"?! Are you kidding? Millions & millions are being spent on these circuses!!!

ya mean $.78 can't buy an election anymore?

Consider this

Think about this one, FA

Harper would like to go to fixed terms for the Canada parliament. Were that to come about our campaigns here would go from six weeks to over a year as well

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Think about this one, FA

Harper would like to go to fixed terms for the Canada parliament. Were that to come about our campaigns here would go from six weeks to over a year as well
    I like the idea of a fixed term for a majority gov't. but I think that it's a very dangerous proposition for minority gov'ts.

But there should be limits on the campaigning (in both countries). Seriously, what a waste of time and money. Tell me what you're planning on doing for me and then bugger off and let me make my decision. It shouldn't take longer than six to eight weeks to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Announced? You mean you don't have a predetermined date already planned out?
    We're a very laid back people. We vote when we feel like it (or when someone feels like making us).

Suspended
    ...and then bugger off...
    "bugger off" huh? I remember way back when my GrandDaddy used to say that to my dad.

Ajani
    So the conventions are finally over... Now I can really compare the DNC and the RNC...

Let me start with my disclaimer: I don't support any political party (I'm just an outside observer).

Anyway my overall scores:

DNC = A-
    It really built up the Obama/Biden ticket, while showing a stark contrast with the policies of the Republicans... the convention really gave the feel that Obama has the vision and support (Biden etc) to be President (even though he clearly lacks the experience)... They united the party and addressed all the major economic issues concerning Democratic supporters, while looking tough and willing to really take on the Terrorists (generally a failing of the Democrats, who normally seem like peace loving hippies)...

RNC = C+
    All I got from this is that Palin is a pitbull and McCain is a war hero. Most of the convention was spent being exceptionally nasty to the Democrats and then on the final day, McCain tries to reach out to these same Democrats and Independents... I think he should have toned down the nasty vibe of the convention from the start (if he wanted to show his ability to reach across party lines... especially since Obama is seen by a lot of people as an inspirational figure)... Also, admitting that party messed up in the last 8 years is fine, but seems silly when he started his speech by thanking Bush...

McCain seems to have given even less policy points in his speech than Obama, which is really sad... since Obama is a gifted orator, McCain really needed to beat him on substance...

Bottom Line: Coming out of their respective conventions, I think the Democrats came away with an advantage... though to be frank, I suspect both parties are full of crap... but in a choice between which steaming pile stinks the least, I'd have to go for Obama/Biden...

Suspended
    Yes and hopefully this thread's over too (Yeah, okay). So what's the beer selection like in St. Kitts Ajani?

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Yes and hopefully this thread's over too (Yeah, okay). So what's the beer selection like in St. Kitts Ajani?
    Mostly local stuff... AKA.. Carib Beer... which is pretty good btw... but variety tends to be limited... and paying a premium for foreign booze really isn't very appealing...

Thread Information