View Poll Results: Do you like Cottage Cheese?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mmmmm, yummy stuff...good source of protein

4 26.67%
  • Bleechh! I prefer vomit

3 20.00%
  • It's okay....I eat it infrequently but don't hate it

5 33.33%
  • Never had it....never will, cause it looks like what Kex's wife said...

3 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Cottage Cheese - yea or nay?

Never has 1 food generated such controversy...

I eat 1/2 to 1 cup a day depending what diet I'm on. It's great with 2 tbsps of Peanut Butter...mmm.

My wife thinks it looks like some "prisoner's nasty curddled body excrement"...

Love it or hate it?

(just curious)

Forum Regular
    Ongoing asthma has caused me to give up dairy (again). It may well be permanent this time.

As you might expect, epinephrine is my drug of choice...

Laz

Quote Originally Posted by trollgirl
    Ongoing asthma has caused me to give up dairy (again). It may well be permanent this time.

Laz
    Let's give it up for Laz, ladies and gentlemen, ar.com's in-house comic relief...he's here all week...sorry to hear about your medical troubles Laz...hope you can still drink coffee, or wine, or whatever vices you have.

I'm lactose intolerant but oddly enough cc doesn't bother me much at all...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Dammit Kex, your sensationalizing of people's problems has gone too far this time...just to sell a thread. Geez, you're no better than those Hollywood photogs that doctor-up celebrity pictures...http://www.starpulse.com/news/index....ellulite_pictu

..oh...waitaminute...you really meant it...

Absolutely! I've never tried the peanut butter thang but I like heavy doses of ceyenne pepper. Great, low-fat way to get your dairy.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trollgirl

Laz
    I can get you tractor brake fluid and coffee filters in bulk for cheap...

(j/k DEA,ATF, BBN)
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    So many diets in my life and at least they no longer involve cottage cheese. I think I have eaten cottage cheese in just about any combination. I can eat cottage cheese but oddly I never crave it. Right now I am enjoying a lemon iced cookie with my chardonnay. cottage cheese.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I'll pass. Don't hate it, but don't enjoy it either.
    Does look a lot like puke though.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Yea. I love cottage cheese with fresh fruit.

I have a double whammy. Like Kex, I'm also lactose intolerant but cheeses and yogurt don't seem to bother me (ice cream is totally evil). And like Laz, I have asthma but I will occasionally indulge in dairy when it's under control...although I probably shouldn't.

One of my favourite things for lunch on a warm summer's day is a plate of fresh berries and grapes with cottage cheese, drizzled with a little honey (the real stuff not the processed crap from the supermarket) and sprinkled lightly with some pecans or walnuts.

Ok..I gotsta ask. What is the relationship between allergies and dairy products?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Ok..I gotsta ask. What is the relationship between allergies and dairy products?
    Being lactose intolerant is an allergy. They are allergic to dairy products. Often, when someone is allergic to one thing, there are other things that become probable allergies.

Yeah yeah, I know. My English sucks. But you get my point right?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Actually, Lactose Intolerance is not an allergy. Although some people are allergic to milk products, the body's reaction is different.

Lactose intolerance is the inability to properly digest milk products due to your body not producing the enzyme required to break down the sugars in milk during the digestive process. A full description is here. Some people take enzyme pills, like Lactaid, before they eat dairy products and that helps break down the sugars and avoid the uncomfortable symptoms.

Where asthma is concerned, dairy products create phlem and mucus in your body. Excess mucus can constrict your airways. Many people who suffer from asthma find that reducing or removing dairy from their diets helps to reduce the number and severity of asthma attacks.

I'm not sure if that answers your question Kex. There's lots of good information on lactose intolerance, milk allergies and asthma on the Mayo Clinic website.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Being lactose intolerant is an allergy. They are allergic to dairy products. Often, when someone is allergic to one thing, there are other things that become probable allergies.

Yeah yeah, I know. My English sucks. But you get my point right?
    Now I feel dumb...I started getting really bad stomach pains caused by gas and all the nasties that digestion (or indigestion produce)after drinking too much milk, eating ice cream, etc.
    After going to my doctor a few times he told me I was simply lactose intolerant because my stomach lacked certain enzymes. He advised me to avoid the foods that trigger me getting tummy aches. Or take Lactaid and such before hand.

So I thought I was enzyme deficient...never once did he tell me it was an allergy. Maybe they mean the same thing???

I've been deathly allergic to tomatoes for years...think there could be some correlation? No more tomato milkshakes for Kex

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Actually, Lactose Intolerance is not an allergy. Although some people are allergic to milk products, the body's reaction is different.

Lactose intolerance is the inability to properly digest milk products due to your body not producing the enzyme required to break down the sugars in milk during the digestive process. A full description is here. Some people take enzyme pills, like Lactaid, before they eat dairy products and that helps break down the sugars and avoid the uncomfortable symptoms.

Where asthma is concerned, dairy products create phlem and mucus in your body. Excess mucus can constrict your airways. Many people who suffer from asthma find that reducing or removing dairy from their diets helps to reduce the number and severity of asthma attacks.

I'm not sure if that answers your question Kex. There's lots of good information on lactose intolerance, milk allergies and asthma on the Mayo Clinic website.
    Oh...okay...so it's more of a respiratory allergy relationship - so in the spring and fall I should cut back on milk maybe for a few weeks when the asthma gets bad?

(edit: yes, I get all my medical advice from the ar.com forums!!!)

Now I feel like the dumb one. 50 lashes for GM!
    FA, do you still have that wet noodle?

Oh...okay...so it's more of a respiratory allergy relationship - so in the spring and fall I should cut back on milk maybe for a few weeks when the asthma gets bad?

(edit: yes, I get all my medical advice from the ar.com forums!!!)
    Absolutely! I have terrible seasonal allergies that contribute to my asthma and I try to stay away from all dairy products during these seasons.

Soy is a wonderful substitute for dairy (I buy soy milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream). Some people like rice products also, but I find them too watery. If you choose to replace milk products with soy products make sure that the product is made with organic soy beans. Soy is one of the most genetically modified products available, organic beans will not be GM.

I avoid dairy any time that I have a respiratory illness, whether its an asthma problem or just a cold. I find that avoiding dairy at these times makes a huge difference in my ability to breath.

As for the Intolerance. Based on the explanation of your symptoms, what your doctor has told you is most likely correct. Those are the same symptoms that I was having that eventually led to my diagnosis also. Your body can stop producing these enzymes as you age, so it's possible to develop this intolerance as an adult. That's what happened to me and because of that it was a long time before I made the connection between dairy and my discomfort and finally went to my doctor about it.

The intolerance and the asthma are likely non-related issues. The only thing in common is that both are aggravated by consuming dairy products.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 05-20-2008 at 07:55 AM.

No worries GM. Because I suffer from lactose intolerance and asthma I've done a ton of research on both.

Anything that you want to know about acid reflux disease?

interesting poll there kex. i cant remember if i ever had some cottage cheese. it doesnt look familiar. so ive been leery of it. HEY LOOK IT MOOVED! sort of thing.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Never has 1 food generated such controversy...

I eat 1/2 to 1 cup a day depending what diet I'm on. It's great with 2 tbsps of Peanut Butter...mmm.

My wife thinks it looks like some "prisoner's nasty curddled body excrement"...

Love it or hate it?

(just curious)
    CC with a little sugar sprinkled on top. A nice snack.
    Look & Listen

Suspended
    Uhhhh.... so like, have I been mysteriously transported to the WebMD discussion forums?

Suspended
    Dumbass.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Hey look, GM is back.

Where have you been hiding buddy?

As far as cottage cheese is concerned its just nasty. I love dairy, sour cream, most cheese, but that one I can't do.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    He was in Florida checking out the retirement homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Uhhhh.... so like, have I been mysteriously transported to the WebMD discussion forums?
    Yep. That's why they call it the Off-Topic forum, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by budgetaudio76
    it doesnt look familiar. so ive been leery of it. HEY LOOK IT MOOVED! sort of thing.
    That's how I feel about tapioca pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    He was in Florida checking out the retirement homes.
    Partially true. We did visit a few of my dad's friends who moved into gated communities. Almost made me want to grow old faster. Man! Some of those places are frickin nice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information