Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Corrective eye surgery

Something that none of you would know unless you met me, and even then you might not know, is that I have terrible vision. From the second after I wake up until the second before I put my head on my pillow, I have to wear glasses or contacts. It has always been my greatest dream to have 20/20 vision but because my vision continued to worsen so often (annual changes to my prescription) I was never a good candidate. As I get older and the changes to my vision have slowed down, finally I can consider making my dream come true.

The problem is that I'm scared. I only have one set of eyes and can't afford for someone to screw them up. So I'm researching the crap out this and asking everyone I know if they have any first hand experience with this procedure.

Have any of you had laser surgery to correct your vision? If so, what was your experience like? Would you do it again if you had to? Would you recommend it? Did you have any problems? If so, what happened and how was it dealt with? Do you know anyone who has had this done and not been happy with the results (I don't)?

Please help me by sharing your experience with me. Thanks.

Hi FA,

I have thought about this too as I’m sick to death of wearing glasses. I have progressive (tri-focal) lenses but still need to take them off for some things like reading a computer screen or working on something close. I even had to talk my wife through solding in my replacement tweeters a while back.
    My dad had this surgery done about 5 years ago. He loved it at first but is having trouble with it now. They want him to come in to have it re-done but he isn’t interested anymore.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Charm Thai™
    My cousin had her eyes done in the late 90's and my sister had hers done 3 years ago I think. Both were in their mid-late 20's at the time and have not had a problem since.

I keep wanting to get mine done but have never gotten around to it.

Suspended
    Have you noticed that most of the doctors that do the procedure and the ones on TV commercials wear glasses? I'm just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    Have you noticed that most of the doctors that do the procedure and the ones on TV commercials wear glasses? I'm just sayin....
    It's like barbers. You look for the one with the best haircut, and then go to someone else.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    It's like barbers. You look for the one with the best haircut, and then go to someone else.
    I look for the one with the best haircut and ask him who cut his hair. Then I go to that person.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    My cousin had her eyes done in the late 90's and my sister had hers done 3 years ago I think. Both were in their mid-late 20's at the time and have not had a problem since.

I keep wanting to get mine done but have never gotten around to it.
    Thanks Hills. I also know a lot of people who have had it done and have had no problems. That's one of the reasons that I'm considering it.

...it still scares me though.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Thanks Hills. I also know a lot of people who have had it done and have had no problems. That's one of the reasons that I'm considering it.

...it still scares me though.
    The techniques have improved greatly over the years.

I was scared to death to have back surgery earlier this year but aside from the pain, it was a pc of cake.

Keep in mind, not everyone is a candidate and there are several different types of correction.

I have worn glasses since I was about 8 and tired of it also. I worked in Machine Shops for 25 years and had to wear safety glasses anyway, so I just never bothered and wore my own glasses but always had them made as safety glasses.

Thread Information