Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

Computer back online!

Well, after much tinkering, I have been able to get my laptop working again. Unfortunatly, the data on the original C: drive has been totally lost. I have put it in a safe place, and if I can spend the money down the road I may try to get it recovered.

I pulled the D: drive out, and made it the new "C". I tried to install XP, but there was an issue with the SATA drivers, and I couldn't get it to work. On a whim, I popped in a copy of VISTA, and it didn't have a problem.

So I went to Circuit City, and got a copy of Vista Home Premium for $65. The only problem I had was that it was an "upgrade" copy. I forced a clean install on the drive, and it worked perfect....until I tried to activate. Because it was an "upgrade" copy, one is not supposed to do a clean install.

I contacted MS, and to my suprise and delight, they were more than happy to activate it for me. Because I had the key to my XP copy, they were able to verify that I qualified to "upgrade".

I hooked up the laptop to the internet, followed the tech's instructions, and was activated within 10 minutes.

Now I am in the process of rebuilding programs, installing old stuff. I will be also be much more diligent about backing up critical files.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Glad you're back in action

Well there's the lesson, eh, GB. All hard drives eventually fail. Backups are essential.

By the way, if you ever have to actually buy a full version MS Windows, e.g. for a DIY computer, buy an OEM version rather than the retail box; this is a significant saving. TigerDirect, for example, will sell you OEM Vista Ultimate for $190 versus the retail box for $310. And note -- there is no requirement to buy any computer or computer parts to qualify for the OEM.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Well there's the lesson, eh, GB. All hard drives eventually fail. Backups are essential.

By the way, if you ever have to actually buy a full version MS Windows, e.g. for a DIY computer, buy an OEM version rather than the retail box; this is a significant saving. TigerDirect, for example, will sell you OEM Vista Ultimate for $190 versus the retail box for $310. And note -- there is no requirement to buy any computer or computer parts to qualify for the OEM.
    1. This failure was more related to my daughter letting my laptop drop about 8" during shutdown. However, your note about backups is duely noted.

2. OEM versions. The only caveat to this is if you ever need help. The OEM version of Vista for example contains all the same info as the "retail" version. However, in my case, had I called MS for tech support, I would have been denied help. I would have been directed to the place of purchase for support. This "discount' is because MS doesn't offer tech support for users of OEM software, but instead relies on the re-seller to provide the support.

Because I was already having problems with my computer, I opted for the "retail" version knowing I was going to need some tech support. As a bonus, I got the last copy from Circut City (in town) for 50% off retail.

Even better than OEM is buying the "student" version. I bought Vista Ultimate (full version, not upgrade) for $85 USD. The non-student full version of Vista Ultimate is $399.
    I was a universtiy student at the time, and the discount is totally legit and it includes support from MS if I need tech support.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Thread Information