Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Just dont play any bear movie Ever had bear meat ?Very good! When hunting season around your area? I be more worry wearing a fur coat at that time of the season.He's propably going to hibernate in your garage

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    So, you never said...was your electric hooked up?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    HA HA HA HA...GM...the week I moved from Bangor to small suburban New Maryland, New Brunswick Canada, I had the EXACT same thing happen to me.

I was checking out the house we bought, trying to see if the contractors had finished installing the carpet, waiting for my then soon-to-be-wife to get back with some sweet KFC. Took a walk around the yard and out of the woods came a freakin bear....

Gotta admit - I froze like like a deer in the headlights - I'm pretty sure he didn't even look at me, but proceeded to the compost pile the neighbors had made on my property a hundred feet or so the other way - I think they just tossed a bunch of lobster scraps or something in it. I'm guessing from his perspective, I wasn't worth the effort, and denim probably doesn't taste too good.

No shame, GM...easy for these internet tough-guys-n-gals to tell you to grab your camera or just ignore it - they weren't in front of what could only be a rabid killing machine.

She comes around every fall, and the park rangers keep relocating her - there's a large playground with a few ball fields behind my house - too many kids for her.

Yup, confrontations with bears are scary when you're not the bear.

Now, let me tell ya about the time 2 months later when I got trampled by a moose...

Dean, thanks.

I was kind of expecting that response from the locals. These people worship their bears. I've already picked up welcome matts that say to wipe your paws before you come in.

Pat P.,

Never had any bear meat. I bet I'll see it on a local menu though. At least that's better that eating at the Road Kill Cafe.

FA,

Nope, no electric yet. But on the funny side, when I called my dear sweet little misses about the bear, her first question was, "Is the electric hooked up?" I asked if she was listening to the words that were coming out of my mouth. She said, "Yeah, a bear, Is the electric on?" Women!

Kex,

Fun huh? Nothing like a little wild life to get the blood pumping.
    Nice neighbors. Did you get them anything to thank them?
    Denim is good roughage.
    My bear (See how he's MY bear now?) seemed very nice. He was more scared then I was. I had a strong urge to try to make friends with him, but decided that I like living better. Yours keeps coming back huh? Not good.

Spill the moose story.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Spill the moose story.
    Not much to tell...after the 2nd snowfall in November I was walking out to my little tool shed out back to grab the shovels....I saw the funny tracks in the snow and in my city-boy ignorance assumed it was a deer (later I was informed they would be 3 or 4 times the size of deer's track) I didn't notice this giant deer/small Cow in my yard. Followed out behind my shed, agian, corner of my property next to a not so dense few hundered yards of trees, and the former - compost heap of my former neighbor...Guess I woke her up cause she sprang-up like a jack rabbit...I was maybe 10 ft away, and tried running....you don't run so well in hiking boots in 6" of snow, so I wiped out belly first, and before I knew it got stepped on and the back of my calf and upper left back by a very grumpy female moose, which are appropriately named "cows" because they weigh 800-1000 lbs. That's deceptive though cause she runs way faster than I ever could.

Other than the two massive black and blue welts left behind, escaped unscathed...just felt like a large, bony-footed man stepped on me...

These things are quite common here, and are dangerous on the highways - a moose will completely implode the front end of a half-ton. The few cars I've seen either have the cabin tops torn off, or have a good 2 - 3 ft deep imprint across the hood and cabin. They suggest if collision is inevitable to hit the gas rather than the brakes, especially in cars. The idea being because they are taller than cars, you will hit take the legs out...you at least stand a chance if you can "trip" the mouse and sweep it over the car, but you are certainly dead if you just hit it and it falls on you. Don't know if it's true or not, don't want to find out.

So she turned you into a moose matt huh? Not fun, but exciting I'm sure. How well did you sleep that night? I couldn't sleep much at all Tuesday night. Kept seeing Booboo's face in my dreams and waking up.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I thought of that too. But the dog doesn't need to be either big or mean. I once had a toy fox terrier. He was about 10 pounds and the friendliest dog I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. But if another animal came around, watch out. He chased away many dogs that were 10 times his size.
    Cute too.
    It's time me thinks, for another fearless, fourlegged friend to keep the local wildlife at bay!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A close encounter of the wild kind....-hollys-puppies-17days.jpg  
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    It's time me thinks, for another fearless, fourlegged friend to keep the local wildlife at bay!
    Aawww... How cute. What are they? How big do they get? What kind of personalities do they tend to have.

Aawww... How cute. What are they? How big do they get? What kind of personalities do they tend to have.
    Our latest litter. 17 days old.
    Miniature Wirehaired Dachshunds. Top weight between 10 and 11 lbs. Bold, fearless, loyal and very protective.
    I use mine for tracking and holding wounded game at bay, and for driving out Foxes from underground burrows. Susan shows them.
    A place in the country needs a dog.

Peace

Bernd
    Last edited by Bernd; 09-14-2006 at 07:53 AM.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Our latest litter. 17 days old.
    Miniature Wirehaired Dachshunds. Top weight between 10 and 11 lbs. Bold, fearless, loyal and very protective.
    I use mine for tracking and holding wounded game at bay, and for driving out Foxes from underground burrows. Susan shows them.
    A place in the country needs a dog.

Peace

Bernd
    Too bad you're so far away.

After this, I agree. A dog would be nice. My lil' toy fox would have been between me and that bear making a lot of noise.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Hey GM...

...you may want to consider motion detectors for the outside lights once you are in...they say loud noises work...bear bells...pepper spray...you iz on their turf and no longer top o' the food chain...

Submitted for your approval:

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/92q4/bearbells.html

http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,1223,00.html

jimHJJ(...bear with me now...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Thanks, and sure. Any pose you'd like to see?

Come on Boo Boo. Roll over. Play dead. Pull that small tree up and hold it over your head. Gooooooooooood Boo Boo.
    i'd like to see him riding a tricycle wearing a fez, please.

thanks,
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...you may want to consider motion detectors for the outside lights once you are in...they say loud noises work...bear bells...pepper spray...you iz on their turf and no longer top o' the food chain...

Submitted for your approval:

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/92q4/bearbells.html

http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,1223,00.html

jimHJJ(...bear with me now...)
    We have those. But it was daylight. I'll be blowing my horn as I come home each day.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    ...you at least stand a chance if you can "trip" the mouse and sweep it over the car, but you are certainly dead if you just hit it and it falls on you. Don't know if it's true or not, don't want to find out.

What kind of mice you raising out in NB?????

I spend a lot of time in Northern Ontario (I'm in Sudbury right now) and everyone up here has a story about hitting a moose or a friend or family member who hit a moose. I've seen pictures of cars that have hit moose and you wonder how anyone walked away alive. It's chilling.

I refuse to drive up here or go home after dark for that very reason. I'll stay an extra night if I have to and drive home in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    What kind of mice you raising out in NB?????

I spend a lot of time in Northern Ontario (I'm in Sudbury right now) and everyone up here has a story about hitting a moose or a friend or family member who hit a moose. I've seen pictures of cars that have hit moose and you wonder how anyone walked away alive. It's chilling.

I refuse to drive up here or go home after dark for that very reason. I'll stay an extra night if I have to and drive home in the morning.
    When are you visiting?

Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    i'd like to see him riding a tricycle wearing a fez, please.

thanks,
    eric
    OK.

Hey Booboo, you heard the man. Up on the trike. And put this on.

Uht oh, here come the locals. I may be in trouble. They told me to leave the bears alone.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Won't...

...I'll be blowing my horn as I come home each day.
    ...that make driving difficult?

jimHJJ(...jus' wunnerin'...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...that make driving difficult?

jimHJJ(...jus' wunnerin'...)

Not with the installed periscope for guidance.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

My troubles are over. Meet my new pet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    My troubles are over. Meet my new pet.

Of course you might need a steam shovel to pooper scoop the yard.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information