Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Uhh, yeah...Speedy sorta shares my concerns on the Mercedes...just about every car buff, pundit, website, and magazine I know says to avoid those things like herpes these days. You'd be better off reliability wise with Dodge or Ford.
    Of course, if the one you buy holds up, they're nice vehicles.

Suspended
    Too bad 'cause MB is advertising a 451 horsepower AMG.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Too bad 'cause MB is advertising a 451 horsepower AMG.
    451? Pfffffffffffttt!!!

451 is for girlymen. Come over to the dark side and let the SL65 Black Series pump you up to the tune of 670hp and...get this...738lb/ft! Now we're talkin' about power! Anyone need a house pulled off its foundation?

-BOT-

Stick,

If you do most of your driving on the highway, a sports car may not be the way to go. A used Infiniti M45 is a rocket, has all the modern toys, and is far more reliable than the MB.

An e38 740 would be a better large sedan than the S class and is, IMO, far more attractive than the current Bangled 7 series.

If you never want to see yourself coming or going, track down a Volvo S60 R type. 300hp, Haldex all wheel drive, and the world's most comfortable seats. You should find one easily within your price range and it will only be a few years old. For the ultimate in urban chic, go for the V70R which is the wagon version and can haul your 5' speaks. Black on black with tinted windows and it will look absolutely viscious. If my dog would have fit, I would have bought this over the CX9.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I played with some Miami Vice-style bad guy toys yesterday that despite being out of my comfort zone as far as age goes still were a lot of fun. You just hear so any horror stories...
    'Preciate you boys lookin' out for me but more than get the idea...but all that withstanding, they still are alot of fun.

I think Speedy nailed it though. I've had such good luck with the aformentioned Volkswagon that I'm gonna just knuckle under and snag a Passat for the winter months and start looking around for one of them Boxsters.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    It's true that chicks dig Porsches.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    451? Pfffffffffffttt!!!

451 is for girlymen. Come over to the dark side and let the SL65 Black Series pump you up to the tune of 670hp and...get this...738lb/ft! Now we're talkin' about power! Anyone need a house pulled off its foundation?
    Is that before or after the California emissions package install?

Can you even get one in the states?

Suspended
    Where I grew up, chicks dug 'vettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Where I grew up, chicks dug 'vettes.
    Only up to 1977. Once they changed the rear and added the wrap around rear window, they made 'em ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    'Preciate you boys lookin' out for me but more than get the idea...but all that withstanding, they still are alot of fun.

I think Speedy nailed it though. I've had such good luck with the aformentioned Volkswagon that I'm gonna just knuckle under and snag a Passat for the winter months and start looking around for one of them Boxsters.
    Great choice! That's a hot car:

BTW, I had completely forgotten that C/D did a review of the best $25,000 cars you could buy in their October edition. Click the link, it's a fun read.

I just finished a day spent in group conference giving a presentation that has me convinced that either my grasp of nuance and detail is superhuman or my appreciation for the obvious and banal is underdeveloped.

Thanks for the good read Speedy. I needed that.

Update

Speedy might get a kick outta this...

...as usual the best laid plans go off the rail in my Sticksean world. I had accustomed myself to the idea jumping back into the ho-hum world of Volkswagon then my little brain rebelled. I'd read some good things about Audi TT and thought that maybe such an AWD lil' roadster might obviate the need for a second toy.

Midday I drove up north to the land of preppy Snobsville in the Pines. An introductory stroll through the lot revealed a host of Bimmers, Benzos, and assorted sedans; inside a Viper and the mintest, schweetest 72 Chevelle one could imagine...but no cute, little black Audi. The Gm explained that he'd sold it that morning and proceeded to show me a 5-Series and the MX-5 which is a very cool truck.

Not terribly excited about what I'd seen (okay, the AMG and the Chevelle and the Aston Martin were pretty exciting but 70k for a Jag lookalike ain't cool) and resigned to continuing the search for a sturdy steed for the winter months I stopped short, fists and teeth clenched. I saw the outline of something that struck a chord so deep...like a dim genetic leak back to the primordial ooze. I felt the need to arm myself. I felt the need to put my back against the wall...

Dude, I bought Chief's Battle Buggy from "HALO"...

Car mavens, buffs, afficianados....-iv1.jpg

The Isuzu VehiCross, a cherry example with less than 37k. Phat with a "P-H", I tell you. I've never owned a car that made me laugh just by looking at it. But make no mistake, this is a serious piece of gear. It's like a Range Rover with balls, leaving one resting assured that it can handle anything that Mother Earth, or the Crab Nebula for that matter, could throw at it and respond with a throaty roar. Full Car-Fax buyback and I talked old boy into throwing in Three Year Pinnacle for free if I paid cash.

So step one is complete...and the other thing I discovered this afternoon is the Porsche dealership right across the street from them boys at "Motorports". I could swear I smelled Boxster.

Thread to be continued next summer...until then, I'm gona go run down The Horde.

Of course the first question of many will be, "what was the first disc you played?"...c'mon baybay, The Crystal Method's Vegas, of course...

I've never seen one of those before. And I've got to say that it looks a little like something out of Roger Rabbit's Toontown.

Well, the Cosmo polls always claim that women like guys who have a good sense of humour....

I should add...Congrats on the purchase Stix. I hope you have fun driving it!

Suspended
    Congrats sticks! I don't know what to say, believe it or not!

Danke, mein peeps. From what little I can gleen from this here unreliable internet I'm under the impression that it's kinda rare. A limited production dealio, so it's not surprising that y'all haven't seen one.

Of course, that's from the factually deficient world of ether. I'm thinkin Speedy or Kex will have some greater, and more reliable, insight. In any case, it should be fun for the winter and I can't really go south on the deal.

Peace, Love and RayBans

--sticks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information