Any horologists on the forums?

A couple of weeks back, I bought myself a new Omega Seamaster 300M Diver Chronometer. However yesterday after weeks of watch shopping I decided to purchase a really special timepiece just in time for my 30th birthday coming up later this month, for surviving my twenties. Came close to buying a Panerai Luminor Base, however..

..I decided to treat myself to an IWC Portuguese Automatic in stainless steel with a black alligator strap. My absolute (realistic) dream watch. Not something I could really afford, but absolutely a piece I will wear for the rest of my life and eventually pass on to a son or grandson. I'm absolutely thrilled with this purchase.

cheers,
    elapsed
    Last edited by elapsed; 08-19-2009 at 07:17 PM.
    Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2 speakers
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Naim FlatCap-2x power supply
    Naim Stageline N phono stage
    Naim NACA5 speaker cabling
    Naim Hi-Line interconnect
    Chord Crimson interconnects
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving
    Wiremold L10320 power strip

System Picture #1 | System Picture #2 | System Design

Nice....Interesting you call yerself "elapsed" though...

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    let me say this now before I forget...Happy B-Day! 30s are easier to survive risk-wise but not as easy stress-wise so it's probably a wash. That was my experience.

that is a nice timepiece.

Quote Originally Posted by elapsed
    A couple of weeks back, I bought myself a new Omega Seamaster 300M Diver Chronometer. However yesterday after weeks of watch shopping I decided to purchase a really special timepiece just in time for my 30th birthday coming up later this month, for surviving my twenties

cheers,
    elapsed
    Pretty nice self-gift, elapsed. Congradulations on your 30th birthday. I guess architecture is treating you OK.

My 65th birthday is coming up in a few months and I think my self-gift will be jalapeņos on my noon-time tacos at the company cafeteria. Of couse if I'd been successful at my occupation, I'd have retired years ago.

My watch is the Casio Wave Ceptor, below. I recall I got it for US$20 plus shipping. Works really well, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    First of all happy birthday! Secondly wow what a great watch. I have several mechnical watches of Swiss manufacture. All three use eta movements. My krieger uses the eta 2892 a-2, my Hamilton viewmatic has the eta 2824-2 as does a fendi watch I own. Of course I have other mechanicals from japan and china for fun. I hope one day to own a patek phillipe watch. I would also love an iwc aviator watch. Enjoy your watch it is a beauty.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Watch guy, here

I too love a nice watch and am a Seamaster owner, as well as a Constellation. But my favorite watches are Hamilton Electric. Here are two from my modest collection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any horologists on the forums?-000_0124.jpg  

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Congrats, happy birthday, pip-pip, cheeeriooo...and all that...

Good choice on the IWC and, for that matter, the Omega as well from what I understand. I have owned the Panerai and I can assure you that you went the right way...constant reliablity problems...

...wasn't very impressed with Breitling either...and Movado's might be one of least reliable, inelegant watchmakers out there.

Can you tell I put my watches through their paces. Tag Heuer makes a nice watch but it seems like you're doin' pretty well on yer own.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    ...and, yes, when I first read the title my original intent was to type, "No, but some of my girlfriends are kinda kinky..."

Thanks for the kind words! Bobsticks, my day to day watch is a TAG Heuer 2000 Professional Diver quartz, done me extremely well for 8 years now. Breitling is too flashy for me, I'm not a huge fan. Kept coming back to Ulysse Nardin and IWC. Could eventually see myself with a Zenith as well.

First I've heard of Panerai having reliability problems, but I've had a really tough time with my Seiko MarineMaster 300M and it is very highly regarded so I guess there's always that off chance that you'll run into a problem with the movement. But for my next watch I think i'd like a Perpetual Calendar with a moonphase, possibly another IWC as I've been nothing but impressed with their quality and finish

cheers,
    elapsed
    Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2 speakers
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Naim FlatCap-2x power supply
    Naim Stageline N phono stage
    Naim NACA5 speaker cabling
    Naim Hi-Line interconnect
    Chord Crimson interconnects
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving
    Wiremold L10320 power strip

System Picture #1 | System Picture #2 | System Design

Wow....

The only true "special" watch I own is a "60th Anniversary" watch put out by Fender Guitars a couple years back. Kinda rare I guess.

Da Worfster

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Happy birthday!

Thread Information