View Poll Results: 2008 "Sad" or "Glad" to see it go.

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2008 sucked powdered donky dung!

3 25.00%
  • 2008 was meteoric and historic!

2 16.67%
  • 2008 "was the best of times and the worst of times."

7 58.33%

2008 "Bang" or "Bust"

2008's been a pretty interesting year, elections, Olympics, economic collapses, war, flood, fire and famine all round. What's your opinion of the 2008? Are you "glad" or "sad" to see it go.

Da Worfster

Glad to see it go, lots of bad news all over the place. A truly awful year. So here's hoping for a brighter tomorrow, but every birth is painful. But on the flipside of the '08 coin I got a good result due to some luck, a work load of 15-18 hour days seven days a week for four months and shrewd risk taking, which allows me to begin 2009 completely debt and mortgage free. A very strange feeling I can tell you. Hope you all will come through this turbulance alright.
    Seasons greetings to all.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Suspended
    I used the third one to express a *neutral* 2008 for me. Good things happened and good things didn't happen.

However, I still have good health, a job, more friends (albiet online friends) and my house hasn't toppled over so I count my blessings.

This year has been one of the toughest years of my life. (falling short of how bad 2007 was to me/us) It has also brought me some of the best news ever. I'll have to toss it in with the best and worst of times.

May 2009 continue the later upswing.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

2008 sucked majorly. The only good thing about it was my stereo.
    I guess I'm still in good health etc etc so I'm not going to complain too much either.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Overall 2008 was very good to my wife and I in all the ways that matter, despite the horrible economic woes the world over. Maybe we were due to dodge some bad news, 04-07 saw some of life's ugly messes thrown at us, and knock on wood, looks like we'll escape unscathed in 2008 (other than the loss of my year end bonus but, meh, tis only money). And even reading the Ar.com regulars personal stories reminds me how fortunate we've been.

Can't say I'm sad to see it go though, it was a rotten year for most people and I hate to see suffering of any kind. But I believe it is ending on a few high notes that bring hope for the future. 2009 is going to be tough, but we'll get through it.

But things could get worse

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    2008's been a pretty interesting year, elections, Olympics, economic collapses, war, flood, fire and famine all round. What's your opinion of the 2008? Are you "glad" or "sad" to see it go.

Da Worfster
    For me 2008 offer no respite from from the slow but relentless downward trend of my life. My heart condition remains stable but I have been increasingly ravaged by arthritis, and my visual acuity has declined markedly and I'm subject to eye strain on a daily basis. Meanwhile at age 63, I have to work full time for what amounts to less than half of my very modest salary.

My childrens' demands for university and college related expenses have actually increased, meanwhile my small savings portfolio has shrunk by 40% or more. Fortunately the cost of borrowing is low. My mother, age 89, is increasingly dependant and demanding for the mundane aspects of daily living although she remains financially self-supporting.

Unlike Brend for example, of whose good fortune I'm glad to hear, I have neither the energy, skill, nor opportunity to improve my lot in the least way.

The best news of the year is the defeat of the Republican Party presidential candidate and the reduction of their power in the U.S. congress. The U.S. and world need better than these war-mongering, anti-environment, "bribe the rich" anarcho-capitalist exploiters and crooks. The Democarts will offer as least a relative improvement.

Things are almost certain to get much worse before they get better in the world financial scheme. Worldwide loss of jobs is likely to lead to dangerous political instability. Political Islam is a dangerous threat to world security and peace. The use of biological and "dirty" weapons is an increasing likelihood. All in all, 2009 could be much worse than 2008.
    Last edited by Feanor; 12-15-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Welp....

1. Feanor, sorry to hear of your troubles man. I too am in a "sandwich" situation. My mum in law is old and infirm and we now find ourselves supporting her as well as our son. I'd be less pissed off about it all if the ole battle axe cared one wit for me. We've hated one another since day one and that's not likely to change.

2. Bottom line is that 2008 was a real mixed bag for me. Great highs and great lows, both nationally and personally.

3. I've MUCH to be thankful for. I'm relatively "healthy", I've work and my son's no stupider than the average teenager. I can't complain.

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    my son's no stupider than the average teenager. I can't complain.

Da Worfster
    Haha! I like that
    Last edited by audio amateur; 12-15-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    On a personal level, 2008 has been a great year for me. My husband and I finally reached some goals that we’ve been working towards for many years. Seeing our dreams and all of our hard work and sacrifices come to fruition was very satisfying.

Our families are healthy and happy and aside from the death of Hubby’s uncle earlier this year, we have come through 2008 relatively unscathed. We have great friends who keep us smiling and laughing and families who will love us no matter what.

I have no idea what 2009 might bring. It could be a very challenging year all around. But rather than worry about the unknown, I go to sleep every night thankful for the warm bed and roof over my head, knowing that many people don’t have it so lucky.

Personally, 2008 has been neither horrendous or glorious. Because I am a perpetual student, my wife and I live in semi-limbo. Although my wife's employment at a local university is ever threatened by state budget cuts which may necessitate her resignation, she has managed to keep her job. Likewise I am still employed, although night shift work is making me increasingly frazzled and giving my face more lines than an Indian railway map. We live in a cozy apartment where there's plenty to read, listen to and watch, and are fortunate enought to be surrounded by supportive friends and family who continue to safeguard us.

As far as opinioins of 2008 politically, etc. go, while I agree with most of my esteemed colleagues here and elsewhere, I would like to look at '08 as a year when the proverbial sheep hit the fan. For quite a while my lady and I have quietly observed this country's financial and political weirdness aghast and amazed. To see the collapse of the market and its attendant fallout as well as the reversal of the political tide and its aftermath has been expected and, dare I say, hoped for.
    Last edited by Auricauricle; 12-15-2008 at 03:34 PM.

JSE
    Personally, this year has been outstanding in all aspects for my wife and I and our immediate family.

Unfortunately, I think we are in the minority compared to most.

Suspended
    Except maybe for that tiny little storm that blew through the Houston area, maybe?

Thread Information