BEER; who likes it?

ok guys and gals...the subject is beer.

who likes it, who doesn't?

what's your favorite brands?

me, thankfully the big drinking days are long gone for me. Oh, don't get me wrong...I still like ta drink from time to time. But, uh...let's just say I don't drink like I used to

However, I still love a good beer now and then. I'll drink just about anything from a light Pilsner to a double and triple bocks.

Some of my favorite are Samuel Adams, Pete's, Samuel Smith and the local brewed GooseIsland (oh...if you've never had fresh Goose Island beer...you gotta go to their pub)

anyways...it's common to see over 300 people viewing these pages at any given time. Yet, the number of new posts are rather minuscule compared...who out there?

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

enjoy the music!

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin

me, thankfully the big drinking days are long gone for me. Oh, don't get me wrong...I still like ta drink from time to time. But, uh...let's just say I don't drink like I used to

However, I still love a good beer now and then. I'll drink just about anything from a light Pilsner to a double and triple bocks.

Some of my favorite are Samuel Adams, Pete's, Samuel Smith and the local brewed GooseIsland (oh...if you've never had fresh Goose Island beer...you gotta go to their pub)

anyways...it's common to see over 300 people viewing these pages at any given time. Yet, the number of new posts are rather minuscule compared...who out there?

cheers

Is there really a bad beer?

I think I went through Stages since my first beer at age 16 or 17.

Stage 1: Under 21. Any beer I could get my hands on was my favorite.

Stage 2: College. Cheap beer in a large quantities. I remember a wise friend's answer to "What's your favorite kind of beer?". His answer, Keg Beer. Idiotic yet brilliant.

Stage 3: Today: Fine beer in smaller quanity.

My favorite general drinking beer is Shiner Bock. It's a slightly heavy bock that is very popular here in Texas.

My favorite beer for more "special" occasions is Abita Amber Ale. Awesome beer.

Needless to say, I keep my beer simple. Nothing real fancy, just good taste.

Lately, I have been starting to drink a little white wine. Never been a wine person but there are some really good Pinot Grigios out there that I have been getting used to. Can't do the Red Wine thing yet, it's to strong in taste. Maybe with time?

JSE

I do!!

GF,

I went to a convention in Chicago last year (in feb. - brrrr), saw the superbowl in a VFW hall in a bluecollar area, had tons of fun (watching the SB on a 19" tv on a folding table), drank large amounts of Old Style, the yeasty beer !!

The next night I "did" Michigan ave, again lots of fun, drank tons of Goose Island. When in Chicago, do as the ......

Anyway, great beer. Great town!

My overall favorite is (a properly pulled) draft Guiness. Is it a drink or a meal??

Mainstay: Bud - wie - ser. The bestselling beer in the world, for good reason, IMO.

Favorite beer I can't get: John Smiths' Bitter. I don't understand why we (Americans) don't like bitter! Even in huge drafthouses the only bitter avail. is US made (or maybe Fosters')!! I'm very bitter about this .

Cheap beer I will drink: Busch Light "Draft".

Other "occasionals": Theakstons Old Peculiar - well named and very highly recommended!! One thing I've noticed about the old beers, Guiness, Peculiar, Bass, etc - they were made to be served "cellar cold" - nowhere near fridge temp - and taste very good that way. Burning River Brew - made in of course Cleveland. Various German beers, and once in a while my brother-in-law brings back some local Chinese beer, he says you can't get it in the US 'cause it spoils in a week or so. Heck, I'll try any beer once (maybe twice. No, say three times. ). Pete also likes Petes occasionally....

Beers I hate:

Though I really don't like most flavored beer, the malts, etc.

JSE, is it whiny, or wino ???

Your breakdown is pretty good. I've seen Shiner Bock - I'll have to try it. The only wine I drank as a kid was the real top shelf stuff - like mad dog and night train - 'cause it was readily avail at a very large discount!! It always made me upchuck. Isn't it fun?!

Now I tend to like quality reds, but a good white is alright occasionally.

Pete

PS 300 viewers? Lurkers - trolling in the shadows!!
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

JSE, I'm not an experienced wine drinker either...although I will have an occasional glass. But I have noticed my palate changing. I could now drink some wines that I previously thought tasted awful. Beer can be much the same way for some people.

pip - give Fuller's ESB a try! mmm....mmmm....goood.

The only beer I haven't yet been able to enjoy are the Hefe-Weizen's. Don't know why...they just taste bad???

enjoy the music!

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by piece-it pete
    GF,

JSE, is it whiny, or wino ???

Your breakdown is pretty good. I've seen Shiner Bock - I'll have to try it. The only wine I drank as a kid was the real top shelf stuff - like mad dog and night train - 'cause it was readily avail at a very large discount!! It always made me upchuck. Isn't it fun?!

Now I tend to like quality reds, but a good white is alright occasionally.

Pete

PS 300 viewers? Lurkers - trolling in the shadows!!

Whoo, I'm starting to feel a little light headed just thinking about NightTrain. It reminds me of a Jagermeister/NightTrain binge that I went on one night during my freshman year of college. Got haaaaaaaameeeered and threw up all over this girl I was after. Yeah, those were the days. I was the model student.

Needless to say, I have never tasted even a sip of either since.

What about Boones Farm? Oh yeah, that's fine wine. Strawberry Hill rules!

JSE

I go to the extremes...

cheers
    On the one hand, when the mood strikes, I'll set in front of the house with the hardest stuff I like to hate...

And yes, with the feet and the mini plastic tap! I'll never understand why the tap positioning forces the keg to be "upside down"! Just doesn't seem right... until you've had a few too many!

Then again, there's the mellow time I spend with the neighbors...

when making that "I can't believe I'm about to take another drink" face is undesireble.

Then, there's the ones I never drank, but really enjoyed the advertising...

Goin' thru life... getting as much Hiney as I can!

"Hello there. My name is Fred Bartles and this is Ed Jaymes. You know, it occurred to Ed the other day that between his fruit orchard and my premium grade wine vineyard, we could make a truly superior premium-grade wine cooler. It sounded good to me. So Ed took out a second on his house, and wrote to Harvard for an MBA, and now we’re preparing to enter the wine cooler business. We will try to keep you posted on how it’s going. And thank you for your support."

I sure miss those guy's!
    Karl K.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction.

Forum Regular

I don't drink as much as I used to either....

...however, my eyes light up if I'm out somewhere where they serve Guinness Stout on tap. Occasionally, my dining out decision is even based on this. Mmmmmmmmm........Beer....

Forum Regular
    Pete, next time your in town look me up. I'll introduce you to State Street ALE. Also, I'll take you to The Wine Keller; worlds largest imported beer selection!
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Forum Regular
    All Goose Island products (Since I'm a home boy)
    State Street Ale (ditto)
    Sapporo & Sapporo Reserve
    Most Samuel Adams beers
    Hacker Shore Weiss
    Killian's Irish Red

I HATE ALL LITE BEER!!!
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Well, this is an area of contention with my wife since she's a wine drinker and hates beer, and I'm the flip side of that. She also drinks straight hard stuff, and I'm more of a mixed drink kinda guy. Fortunately, in Cali there are plenty of options that satisfy both of us.

As far as fave beers go, my usual standbys are Sierra Nevada and Full Sail Ale

If I'm in the mood for something that's better geared for easy swiggin' I'll opt for MGD or Canadian stuff like Molson Canadian or Labatt Blue or Asahi Super Dry (N.American version is brewed in Toronto by Molson). The Canadian beer tends to be deceptive because they seem a touch lightweight, but they pack quite a wallop when you stand up!

In the end though, the one thing that I like about beer is that it's almost impossible to get snobby about it. I mean, getting elitist about pilsners versus ales or what not just doesn't hold up very well. With wine, who out there will just buy a round for everybody at the bar?

In my old college days, beer was beer, but the stuff that I tried to shy away from was that Repo Man plain wrap stuff ("C'mon, let's get a drink!"). But, in any case, yah in the younger daze it was all about quantity!

Beer Rules!!

cheers

l love beer, plain and simple. I have a great collection of pint glasses and have been collecting labels recently.

My favorites include:
    Firestone
    Red Tail Ale
    Goose Island
    Summit
    Sierra Nevada
    Pacifico

I lived in Madison for five years and drank Goose Island as much as I could, but now that I'm back in CA, I can't find it. A friend told me he saw a Trader Joe's in his neighboorhood, but when I asked him to grab some for me, it was gone. Gone I tell you.

looks like I've got a few new beers ta try

oh...if any of you make it to the Goose Island pub, you've got to try a Stilton burger...oh, and have them bring you some homemade potato chips too

enjoy the music!

looks like I've got a few new beers ta try

oh...if any of you make it to the Goose Island pub, you've got to try a Stilton burger...oh, and have them bring you some homemade potato chips too
    Dang, I gotta get back out to the Midwest. Last time I was out there, I was lushing away on Old Style (can't find that stuff out here in Cali, and since EVERY bar in Chicago's got one of those Old Style signs outside, I figured that's what the locals load up on, so of course I should try it for myself and see what the fuss is all about). Couldn't really tell much difference between that and Pabst Blue Ribbon (which is the cheapass beer of choice at the local bars in San Fran), then again after about the fourth one, they start to all taste the same and go down easier!

Thread Information