Thumbs down BCS computers...WTF???

Someone explain this to me:

How does 'SC wax UA 45-0 (it could have been much worse but the starters were yanked in the middle of the 3rd) and OSU squeak by Purdue and yet get displaced in the rankings for the title? The NY Times computer actually dropped SC 3 spots behind two 2 loss teams while 2 other computers dropped them 2 spots!

Seriously, since when does a COMPUTER know more about football than coaches and beat writers? Both have SC at 2 and OSU at 4. Consider this finding from the LA times, if the 7 computers that impact the BCS standing were removed from the get go:

"In 2000, Oklahoma and Miami were No. 1 and No. 2 in both polls but Florida State nipped Miami for the No. 2 BCS spot by 0.32 even though Miami had beaten Florida State.

The 2000 BCS standings, without computers, would have justly rendered Oklahoma (1.44), Miami (3.12) and Florida State (4.08)

A year later, Nebraska nosed out Colorado for the second BCS spot by 0.05, even though many believed Oregon, No. 2 in both polls but No. 4 in the BCS, should have played No. 1 Miami in the Rose Bowl.

If you recalculate the 2001 standings and take out the computers, the finish would have been Miami (1.72), Oregon (4.24), Colorado (5.08) and Nebraska (5.56)."

Until the lunacy of these computers are removed, will we ever get a true championship game without a playoff? I say no.

Fight On! and GO BLUE!

Forum Regular

Sorry, but I have to laugh!

You gotta luv that BCS? What I heard was that it was the fact that the New York Times loward the Trojans in their poll to number 5, that this cost them the number two spot in the BCS. One day , at least in my life time, I hope to see a playoff! This is really the only way to settle things the right way.

You've got that right!

Quote Originally Posted by bturk667
    I hope to see a playoff! This is really the only way to settle things the right way.
    I know the bowl system has tradition or at least it did before the BCS but let's be honest, this is all about money. Why not take the top 8 teams and bracket them for a playoff and allow the top two to duke it out in a real championship?

I mean, how the hell do you put a team that didn't score an offensive touchdown and has the 80th ranked offense ahead of 'SC (5th ranked offense). Yeah, OSU has a great defense, but SC's doesn't exactly suck w/ their top 10 rushing defense.

You're a Sooner fan, who do you think would give you the best game? Let's be serious, I don't know if even my beloved Trojans would fare that well against OU this year but I DO KNOW they'd have a helluva better shot than OSU!

A good read here...

There was a good Boston Globe story by Bob Ryan on the BCS mess. A fun read by one of the better national sports writers.

Thread Information