Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What's the most fun car you've ever owned?

With the impending demise of my work car I've got to thinking about all the cars I've owned over the years, which one was best overall ('87 Grand Marquis), the best presentation ('76 Lincoln Mark IV - moonroof bigger than many cars ), etc, but the most important catagory, fun to drive, kept creeping back.

Muscle cars are great, nothing like putting your foot down on a bb chevy rat!, but overall for me it came down to the number of little two door imports I've picked up for my SO at one time or another.

They are: '80 Fiat X/1-9, '76 Triumph TR7, ? Toyota MR2, and a '79 Mazda RX7.

All were fun. The Fiat was probably the closest to a "true" sports car, stuck like glue, I could turn peoples' hair white cornering in that little zoom box. The Toyota had great torque, I liked watching the tach & speedo move together in 2nd gear. The Mazda had more power than that teeny little barrel of a weird (and very reliable) engine had a right to.

But the Triumph takes the cake. A straight 4 cy. twin side draught carb, 4 speed, front engine, rear drive two seater that could put a smile on any curmudgeons' face, 4 wheel drift, hang the back end out, comfortable for a 6 fter absolute fun fun fun. I still remember blasting down countryish backstreets at 100+ with Debbie going slow down!! what are you crazy - and I was :yes: !!

Too bad driving & walking went together with that unreliable, WOW is this great car.

What's your "most fun" choice?

Pete

Mine was white, too (but with some rust):
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Until recently (3 weeks ago to be exact), I had never owned a "fun" car. My previous rides had all been need-based due to things like money, interior size, etc. About the closest thing to fun I had owned was a little Jeep Comanche pickup with 4sp manual, but it was bought based on the need to haul stuff.

But 3wks ago I got a new Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart w/5sp manual. I took delivery on Sat. and that Monday my wife and I drove it from here in South West Ala. to Austin, TX. We did it in 12 hrs. (I drove all the way and if it wasn't for her bladder and the need to gas up we wouldn't have stopped.) No driver fatigue, great in curves and turns, smooth at high speeds. I've finally realized that I've simply been too pratical in my adult life. Rural, bumpy backroads that I used to dread in my grandma car (2000 Mitsu Galant) are now my favorite routes. My teenage boys can't believe I got a version of the car first seen in the US on a video game.

Dean,

That is supposed to be fun!!

Pete

For the unwashed, a pic:
    Abraham Lincoln

Hmmm...

I'd have to say our Mazda Miata 5 spd. I've had cars that were faster (the one I'm driving now, for one), had more horsepower, stuck better, etc. but brother, the Miata just puts it all together like no other car save a Porsche Boxster. It is only moderately fast and isn't the stickiest car, but that's part of the charm. In fact, one of the Miata's most endearing qualities is its complete controllability even when executing a luscious 4 wheel drift. You can drive looking out your side windows all day long without fear that it will come back and bite you. While this isn't the fastest way around a track, it sure is the most fun ! The icing on the cake is that Miata's are darn near indestructible. The bottom end on the engine is so overbuilt you can hang a supercharger on it and still not need a major overhaul until 200k! You gotta love that!

Now, ask me this question in about 4 months and I (hopefully) will have a different answer.

How did you get a picture I can only get a link?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's the most fun car you've ever owned?-0432_a08_3qfront%5B1%5D.jpg   What's the most fun car you've ever owned?-0432_a08_3qrear%5B1%5D.jpg  

Hey, TS, I was hoping you'd stop in!

That's not the first time I've heard praises about the Miata. And as it fits with: Spouse approval, Budget approval, and the class of car I've been happiest with realistic-wise I think I'm going to get one for the SO when my current work car expires.

Which BTW is a Geo Metro!! Notice it did NOT make the "fun to drive" list, although it does have go-cart characteristics, if a go-cart handles poorly and goes slow. I have written this tongue-in-cheek review:

As the owner of a 1996 Geo Metro I can assure you that we know all there is to know about Ferraris.

The original Metro was actually secretly designed by Enzo, and shares many components, as you can tell immediately from the high performance 52 hp inline three. He needed a mule to work out the bugs before he could "go public".

It's a good thing, too. The shifter has a certain "feel", some would call it - rubbery? limp-noodlely? downright crappy? The torque band is about 3 rpms' wide, while the HP peak comes immediately after engaging the 1 oz. clutch. The sensation of no acceleration when stomping the gas pedal is exhilerating.

Of course, it's loaded with options, like a starter, brakes, and openable doors. Mine has the optional heater, 3" front discs and roll-down windows. I added an aftermarket steering wheel, this is a big improvement I strongly recommend, for driving.

When I changed my tires I upgraded to a $20.00 tire, this bumbed up the skidpad g's to a whopping .3 before showing its' remarkably predictable, and absolute, understeer.

The phenomenal durability is amazing, the headliner stays on for at least 15,000 miles and the transmission is relatively easy to change, which is good, as is the 2 pint radiator.

I felt bad about slamming it so hard, so I wrote a "real" review:

It's funny, once I started writing that review I couldn't stop!

But the "real" truth:

I drive a 1996 Metro back and forth to work, it now keeps the miles off the big Mercury (my "good" car). I've owned it since '97, I bought it with 10k on it, in almost perfect condition for $7600, still under factory warranty. It's theoretically a Chevy, bought & rebadged from Suzuki, but the doorjam sticker says "Built by Cami Automotive" - in Canada. Who knows??

It's a four door sedan that has the (as I tell the parts store guys) "big" engine, the 76 hp I4, 1.3 liter, mated to a 5 speed that really is "limp-noodley". The little all-aluminum engine I consider something of a marvel, though, and I know they use them in airplanes due to power to weight ratios.

It's not THAT bad, better than I thought when I bought it (a bad time, you can imagine, I'm a big car guy), particularly for the money. Consider the twin pocketbook fatteners of the original price and an actual 39+ mpg, me driving combined. Although in '99 when gas here hit $.89/gl I felt a little silly! $5-6 fillups.

And overall it's been reliable. I drive cars pretty hard (partic. the Metro, 'cause it's easy to push such a small envelope) but also maintain them well, very well.

The a/c never worked right (the dealer changed EVERY SINGLE main component including the compressor under warr.) but the car has done 117k miles now with only these issues (outside of routine maint.):

Headliner, down at 70K (left off).

Radiator, inside of end caps "peeled" and plugged, 75K (replaced rad, still needs heater core, only blows "warm", not hot) Note: a hillbilly friend of mine, we go WAY back, while looking in the engine compartment says: "Gawd d_mn, Peyt, if'n you ever need watter you could jus' piss 'n fill it up" lol.

Transmission, 100K, primary drive gear stripped a full third around. This was the only time it stranded me.

Has always had a tick, lifter?, I call the car "the tic". Chevy said: "Normal valvetrain noise" .

The body has held up well but is rusting in the back wheel wells, can't see it yet but by this winter it will be BAD.

Overall a good car, I had to set the record straight out of fairness.

Although you WON'T be picking up any chicks in this car, unless you're into young chickens.

BTW, it came LOADED, PS, PB, A/C, Rear window defrost and am/fm radio!

Sorry for the long-windedness.

You mentioned in an earlier post that your dad had a E-Type Jag. Did you get to drive it? Was it the V-12?

Have you ever driven a car like Deans?

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    How did you get a picture I can only get a link?
    I'm just that good lol. I don't know, did you try just posting one?

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's the most fun car you've ever owned?-miata.jpg  
    Abraham Lincoln

Hey that's not a Miata!
    Abraham Lincoln

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Until it...

...rolled over and died(literally) my '81 Jeep CJ-7 was the cat's @$$ to me and the missus...take off the hard top and the doors...ab-so-lute-ly nothing like it on four wheels...we still miss that sucker.

jimHJJ(...the newer extended version of the "Rubicon" TJ looks promising...)

Talking LOL! Send that review to R&T right now!

Pete, you're killin' me! That was the funniest review I've read since C/D did a review of the Trabant (remember that POS from the Cold War?). 76 hp, huh? I hate to tell you this, but my old bike had 115 and only had to push around 400lbs of machine! Of course, current iterations have 185 hp and weigh around 360lbs. Yeek!

We had our XK-E when I was far too young to drive (damn, I'm not that old!) but I remember that car fondly. It was a V12 roadster and made the most delicious noises when at full chat. I'm tellin' you Pete, that sweetheart sounded like it was going 100 mph at 35 mph. The Jag was the first car that I hand waxed, which in my estimation is the only true way to appreciate a car's design. You have to touch it and rub your hands over it, not unlike a woman's body..seriously. This is especially true when you consider the unquestioned beauty of the E-type, undoubtedly one of the finest designs of all time. This is important because as an owner of a Jag, you had ample opportunities to gaze at it as it sat there.

Again .

Still, both my dad and I lament the day he sold that honey. Boy, would I love to have that in the stable today.

I've never driven the Lancer or specifically the Evo VIII but I did take a spin in my buddies WRX STi. Lemme tell you something, that thing is a rocket! About as raw as a Viper and only 1/3 as expensive. This car will put the most ridiculous grin on your face! The gear whine, turbo whistle, shift light (a godsend), and buck board ride make sure you're aware that you're not piloting some 4 door economy car. It's not the same sensation as a Miata where everything just flows from one corner to the next. This is more like Banzai "Oh-Dear-God!" drive it like you hate it thrills. You just beat the life out of it. Ahhh, good times.

You could definitely do worse than a Miata. Just make sure you get the 6 speed. Trust me on this one.

BTW, the pic is the car I'm ordering next month. Should be here in January or so. And you're right, it's no Miata .

OK, seriously now. How the hell did you post that pic??? I use the Upload/Manage Photos button and uploaded them from my folder but didn't get a picture like you did. What am I doing wrong here?
    Last edited by topspeed; 08-26-2004 at 09:53 AM.

Hey Jim,

Those CJ's were awesome. I used to go to the dunes in a CJ-7. No doors, no roof, and front window down. There's nothing like it. The new Wranglers ditched the venerable straight 6 for a V6, dunno if that's a good thing or not. Say what you will about the 4 liter, it was as reliable as the sunrise, which is a lot more than I can say about most Chrysler products (and I've had 2 Grand Cherokees).

Forum Regular
    Lets see my dad owns a 65 chevell 283 1979 chevy malibu 396 bored out to 402 a 1974 corvette convertable a 66 mustange fastback. He also use to own about 80 other muscle cars he even used to own a yenko camaro.

Uhh Jeff, there were only 200 true COPO Yenko's built. I'm very disturbed by the "used to own" part of your post. Please don't tell me he sold it! What in the world was he thinking?!?

Forum Regular
    I dont know what he was thinking at the time i guess he needed mony but he told me that he is kicking himself for selling it.

cam
    My 1990 5.0L mustang 5 speed. The light back end and high torque at very little rpm made this car very exciting to drive. Of course at my age now, I like my cars a little more planted to the ground, you know, carrying presious cargo around (two kids). My mustang got stolen after only one year. The tires were already shot (just having some 19 year old fun) and I was shopping for new ones. So since my car was gone and i did not need to go shopping for new tires, I went shopping for a new car. A brand new 1992 5.0L mustang. Hey, I wasn't done having fun yet. My fun was done 2 years later and I sold it.

My two beater ragtops.

First one was a ratty '62 Sunbeam Alpine I picked up from a local for $225 when I was in the AF in Eglinn AFB, Fla. Had a wooden front bumper, the top was mostly duct tape and it ate a quart of oil every few days. Once, and only once mind you, smokd came out from under tha dashboard. I shut it off and tried to find the problem but didn't. When I turned it on it statted perfectly and the problem never reoccurred. Gotta love those Lucas electronics. They didn't call that guy the prince of darknedd for nothing.

A few years later I got hold of a well worn '66 Dodge Coronet 500. All the corners were dinged, the interior sould use a little work but the top was nice, at least until some little bahstads sliced it one night. Duct tape to the rescue. In the three yeaers I owned this, i never did a dang thing to it except to change a fanbelt once. Oil was changed by attrition.

It probably would have gone on forever except my girlfriend tried to straddle a Jersry divider on Rt 9 and eviscerated the front end.

The two rattiest cars I owned but, all in all, I never had more fun than with these two beaters. Maybe 'cause there was no need to be anal about 'em?

The 1977 Mercedes 200D in yellow. Not the most dynamic machine I've owned but the bench front seat became a very specious bed. And that is why I have fond memories of it .
    Technical support for Cambridge Audio and Mordaunt Short.

TS,

I don't know what I do special, I just scoll down to "upload/manage photos", click "browse", pick the photo out of the appropriate folder, upload, and poof! I get a photo. Maybe pm Eric.

Too bad you never got to drive the Jag, that has GOT to be awesome. Agreed with the waxing, it's the only way to "know" your car in the biblical sense!!

Of course, that beemers' no slouch. VERY sharp, love the color. What model/options? Do they put the V-12 in the 3 series yet ?

The timing belt on the Metro broke yesterday afternoon, on my way to lunch after that post . Wouldn't you know it. Fortunately it's not a zero-tolerance engine! There goes my friday night.

Cam I know a Mustang guy, a '68 convert in a burnt orange/red, orig. a 429 but changed to a 390 after repeated blown engines (I bet HE had fun!!). I wouldn't kick one outta - my driveway. I like the new ones, too.

Jim, CJs in a car thread? Lucky they didn't delete your post lol!!. Oh, wait, better hush up. The Rubicon looks interesting, I've always wanted to try offroading, and the ruggedness is cool.

Jeff I remember those pics, I have a feeling you're going to end up driving some nice cars! Yenko, yenko yenko! BTW, GM produced a limited run of '69 Impalas with all-aluminum 427s', you had to be an employee, saw one on speedvision a while back. Yowza!

Mark, is that the manufacturer (Sunbeam) that stuffed 5.0s' into those little cars?

TOF, well named !!

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's the most fun car you've ever owned?-0432_a08_3qrear%5B1%5D.jpg  
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by piece-it pete
    What model/options? Do they put the V-12 in the 3 series yet ?
    That's an M3 cabriolet. 333 hp, 19" wheels, SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox), although I'm not sold on the paddle shifters yet. I drove one and while I liked it in manual mode, it was pretty spooky in auto mode. It literally feels like someone puts the clutch in, slowly shifts gears, and then releases the clutch. It's not close to smooth and you certainly don't look very cool as your head bobs back and forth between shifts. The trouble is, the 6 spd manual isn't much better; very notchy and hates to be rushed. Why is it only Mazda and Honda know how to build a slick gearbox? Speaking of Honda, you owe it to yourself to test a S2000 before your write the check on the Miata. I'd still buy the Miata because it's more everyday friendly but the shifter in the S2000 is amazing. You don't shift it, you think it throught the gears. The throws are just ridiculously short!

is that the manufacturer (Sunbeam) that stuffed 5.0s' into those little cars?
    Yep, they took the I-4 out and dropped in a 4.2L Ford V-8. Do you wanna guess who oversaw the development? I'll give you a hint; he's famous for his work with another Brit sportscar outfit called AC.

An M3!! Wow, congrats, that has got to be one of the best overall cars of all time. I've never driven a paddle shift though have heard good things. Well, you'll let us know .

I'll look at the Honda but it's quite a bit more expensive. Didn't they have a crazy redline, like 9000?

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

Yeah, the limiter is up in the stratosphere. The S2000 is the closest thing I've driven to a motorcycle with 4 wheels. You really have to drive it like you hate it because all of torque is above 7000 rpm, but that's part of it's charm .

Used S2000's aren't too expensive and being a Honda, at least you can feel confident in the quality and durability. Very, very fun. Again however, I'd still probably stick with the Miata. If you are buying new, the trick Mazdaspeed version is supposed to be an absolute ball to drive and at $25K, a helluva lotta bang for the buck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's the most fun car you've ever owned?-pho_veh_gallery_miz_5_lg%5B1%5D.jpg  

Utmostjamin1

amc pacer

the most fun car i ever had was the most ugliest i owned a 1977 black amc pacer wagon it had killer jenson 6x9s in the back and 6 1/2 woofers and dual tweeters in the front with the most awesome 8 track stereo. this car got the sht beat out of it. i remember forcing the car around a 90 degree turn at almost 50 miles an hour amd sliding sideways past a state trooper that was pinned in between 2 other cars he couldnt do anything but watch
    it wasnt a race car but with a big six cylinder engine and a 4 speed it had some torque.
    ah those were the days

Well Pete, I have a new definition for fun...

With the impending demise of my work car I've got to thinking about all the cars I've owned over the years, which one was best overall ('87 Grand Marquis), the best presentation ('76 Lincoln Mark IV - moonroof bigger than many cars ), etc, but the most important catagory, fun to drive, kept creeping back.

Muscle cars are great, nothing like putting your foot down on a bb chevy rat!, but overall for me it came down to the number of little two door imports I've picked up for my SO at one time or another.

All were fun. The Fiat was probably the closest to a "true" sports car, stuck like glue, I could turn peoples' hair white cornering in that little zoom box. The Toyota had great torque, I liked watching the tach & speedo move together in 2nd gear. The Mazda had more power than that teeny little barrel of a weird (and very reliable) engine had a right to.

But the Triumph takes the cake. A straight 4 cy. twin side draught carb, 4 speed, front engine, rear drive two seater that could put a smile on any curmudgeons' face, 4 wheel drift, hang the back end out, comfortable for a 6 fter absolute fun fun fun. I still remember blasting down countryish backstreets at 100+ with Debbie going slow down!! what are you crazy - and I was :yes: !!

Too bad driving & walking went together with that unreliable, WOW is this great car.

Pete

I not only like to drive fun cars, but like to WORK on them as much. I can never afford to buy a "new sports car" of the caliber I enjoy, so I buy what I can and mod it... sometimes very "extensively". My first best driveable ride was a '79 Ford Pinto. Even with the peppy little 4cyl, it handles undeniably well with some wide tires all around and sway bars front and rear. Then you add a 360hp 302 V8 and a T5 tranny, and 4 wheel disc brakes... well, you get one hellava wild ride!

My current masterpiece is a replica of a Lambourghini Countach. I hope to improve on the driveability and handling with about the same accelleration as the Pinto. None the less, they both have been a very fun projects to "own". Some others are...

'68 Fiat 850 sport spider convertable
    80 Mercury Capri
    88 Honda Prelude Si w/4WS

You can see pics of the Lambo, w/Pinto in back ground, here...

http://www.conceptcarz.com/MsgBrd/fo...?TOPIC_ID=2039

I post updates as warranted by progress.(about every month or so) There's a couple pages of stuff with pics throughout.
    Karl K.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction.

my current car, a blown mk3 Jetta VR6.

Forum Regular

I make excuses to drive to the store!

I love to drive my Beamer 330i with sports suspension and 5 speed manual trans! I don't know about the manual 6 speed trans in the M3, but the 5 speed in the 330i is the smoothest shifting tranny I've ever driven. Next to this 4 passenger extremely well engineered fun car, the newer Z06 Corvette was probably the most exhilarating machine I've ever driven! We boys seem to never grow out of our toys!

Ed

Pete

My most fun car (when it ran it broke down all the time) was a 1978 MGB white.
    I bought it when I was 16 the car was one only a year old with a little over 13000 miles on it.
    I managed to kept it for 4 years.
    Last edited by BRANDONH; 09-29-2004 at 10:43 AM. Reason: more pics

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information