Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    I do not have any interest in watches nor do I like wearing them but you'd better believe I have 3 nice ones on tap at all times. Women judge men by: first their shoes and second their watch.

Can't tell you how many times I've been on dates and had the broad ask me what kind of watch I was wearing and where I purchased it. Then on the second date I've caught them peering at my wrist to see if I was wearing the same watch.
    Glad the woman I married is not that shallow.
    It is probably a gauge as to how much money you are likely to spend frivolously on them.

Charm Thai™
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Wow, you need to find some less shallow women to date.
    You'd be surprised how many of them are out there but yeah they weed themselves out.

Of course, you might want to stop calling women "broads".
    I certainly don't make a habit of it.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    The best Swiss movements are made in limited quantities. Then installed in a precious metal case. Due to limited production and rising prices of gold watches can very much increase in price. The watch auctions are quite interesting and a rare old watch with several complications can bring in many times it's original price.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

The US had a number of good watchmakers years ago. Hamilton watches started out being made in this country. I think the design is still happening here. They use Swiss ETA movements today in their watches. Benrus, Gruen, Elgin were also watches made here. Benrus and Hamilton supplies troops with watches during WW II and some of the designs are updates of those watches. Many of our older pocket watches are very collectible and rising in price.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    The US had a number of good watchmakers years ago. Hamilton watches started out being made in this country. I think the design is still happening here. They use Swiss ETA movements today in their watches. Benrus, Gruen, Elgin were also watches made here. Benrus and Hamilton supplies troops with watches during WW II and some of the designs are updates of those watches. Many of our older pocket watches are very collectible and rising in price.
    I have an old Hamilton that was my wife's uncles. It is a wind up and still works but is not much to look at. It has a cool purple face but needs a new band if ever used. Always wondered if it is worth anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I have an old Hamilton that was my wife's uncles. It is a wind up and still works but is not much to look at. It has a cool purple face but needs a new band if ever used. Always wondered if it is worth anything.

A classic Hamilton with a purple face may make it unique. The wrist band is affordable and a jeweler could polish the case. I am not sure if replacing the crystal, if scratched, would change the value.

Most mechanical watches stop not from a broken part but lubricating fluids that dry out or become gummy. Some collectors buy "non-working" top line watches for pennies on the dollar and then send them to the watchmaker for restoration. They polish the case, freshen the dial, clean and lube the movement. Then they recalibrate the watch by adjusting the hairspring. You end up with an accurate timepiece of much greater value than if you bought it new or in working condition.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    Hyfi

I think the thing is the jewelry factor - Watches are jewelry - audio equipment isn't.

Ha! I have to dispute that audio equipment isn't jewelry -- some is certainly designed for eye appeal for beyond any functional requirement.

Do we really need examples? ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone into watches-mbl-6010-d-preamp.jpg   Anyone into watches-mbl-9011-power-amp.jpg  
    Last edited by Feanor; 03-14-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Suspended

MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm GEAR

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Ha! I have to dispute that audio equipment isn't jewelry -- some is certainly designed for eye appeal for beyond any functional requirement.

Do we really need examples? ...

This is me drooling over all that.....but I still would never pay what it cost. My VAC is a little less gawdy but still a rare gold face. But all of it sounds better than a second hand ticking....

JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I only wear two.

I've only two watches worth talking about.

1. A "pre-war" Witnauer (sp) from an old girlfriend. It was her fathers.

2. A "Fender 75th Anniversary" watch with the Fender logo on it. Recently busted the band on it, gotta git er fixed.

Worf

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Feanor

yes certainly an element of jewelry to some brands. This doesn't mean they're not as good or even better than ugly ducklings for the same money - but you're paying for the style.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    A classic Hamilton with a purple face may make it unique. The wrist band is affordable and a jeweler could polish the case. I am not sure if replacing the crystal, if scratched, would change the value.

Most mechanical watches stop not from a broken part but lubricating fluids that dry out or become gummy. Some collectors buy "non-working" top line watches for pennies on the dollar and then send them to the watchmaker for restoration. They polish the case, freshen the dial, clean and lube the movement. Then they recalibrate the watch by adjusting the hairspring. You end up with an accurate timepiece of much greater value than if you bought it new or in working condition.
    My bad, it's a Waltham. I knew it had "Ham" in the name. Looks a whole lot like this one and says 'Anti Magnetic' on the back.

Suspended

Really cool site

While looking for pics of my old Waltham, I found this site of unique watches...follow the links on right. The first link I found were sex watches but I figured better to post this link starting with Weapon Watches.

Watchismo Times: concealed watches

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Feanor

yes certainly an element of jewelry to some brands. This doesn't mean they're not as good or even better than ugly ducklings for the same money - but you're paying for the style.
    I tend to agree with RGA. I've heard all but two of those pieces (the CPA and the Oracle) and they bring the goods.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    I tend to agree with RGA. I've heard all but two of those pieces (the CPA and the Oracle) and they bring the goods.
    And I agree with both of you -- just because a product is pretty doesn't mean it can perform.

BTW, that isn't the Oracle, it's a Shanling.

Shanlng ...

Oracle ...

And as a bonus, the Oracle t/t ....

Also, the Oracle amp ...

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder because that Shanling is one ugly piece of equipment. It looks like a cheaply made Star Wars toy.

John Michael

I doubt it will be the only one I buy

I have read positive things about Orient. So perhaps I'll look around - gee maybe get one Swiss - one Japan - and one China. Future watch reviewer - hahaha - I'm in the right place.

I really have to stay away from these expensive hobbies because umm I seriously don't have the money for them. Audio is somewhat sane - it can be - but watch collecting would ruin me. I know if I started I'd be buying them up beyond my means.

Several years ago I bought a new automatic Timex. It uses a Chinese movement. The movement does not have anyway I can see to adjust the accuracy. I read where the Chinese watch makers designed their movements after an older Rolex movement. The movement in the Timex is not finished to a high level. Swiss and Japanese movements are of an obvious higher quality.

You might also want to consider Russian watches. They are less expensive than some and have interesting designs.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder because that Shanling is one ugly piece of equipment. It looks like a cheaply made Star Wars toy.
    Someone told me you can hear the seconds tick off as the CD plays too.

Here is a link to my dream watch's movement.

OMEGA Watches: Co-Axial Technology
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Watches, huh?

My everyday is a Special Forces UDT 1000 which over many years has proven indestructable. The Breitling CoPilot is great for flying. The rest are toys.

Chase Durer is a controversial figure in the watch industry. Like many the watch has an ETA quartz movement.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular

As long as it keeps accurate time

and doesn't blow out, why should we care?

Now if you want to dis the tactical 9mm that is my goto, that is different...................

Anyone into watches
    For a long time. When I was thirteen, I saved up and got an Omega Flightmaster. Today, I have five:

Nice: Omega Speedmaster 3520.50
    Dress: Seiko Rolex clone (26 years old!)
    Daily: Casio analog solar atomic
    Knockaround: Casio analog
    Keepsake: Dad's old Omega

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    For a long time. When I was thirteen, I saved up and got an Omega Flightmaster. Today, I have five:

Nice: Omega Speedmaster 3520.50
    Dress: Seiko Rolex clone (26 years old!)
    Daily: Casio analog solar atomic
    Knockaround: Casio analog
    Keepsake: Dad's old Omega

Cheers to the Omegas.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular

Cool BUT.... what do you DO with your watches???

I fly with the Brietling CoPilot. I am on/in the water with the udt1000.

I have automatics with 17j,... 23j,... up tp 50j. But these are for dress..... How do you feel with a $10K watch on your wrist? Like you might loose your hand? Wear a Zenith Gold 416 in public & tell me you do not feel conspicuous....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information