Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Any watch fans?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Bulova is now owned by Citizen which makes good watches. I do not think you will find the case and bracelet to the same quality as the Tissot. My Bulova/Citizen Precisionist was purchased more for technology than for the case and bracelet.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

My wife bought me a new Longines for Christmas but I am going to return it and get another Rado. Any one of these-

Rado Ceramica R21716252 Men's Watch

Rado Integral R20787155 Men's Watch

Rado Sintra R13720202 Men's Watch

I like the Ceramica Rado's. My wife and I have matching Ceramica's. The Bands are pretty much indestructable ceramic with titanium clasps and sapphire crystals. I have a smaller wrist size and watches similar to Rolex types are too big. There are a few Raymond Weils that I like but they are too expensive.

I like Tissot watches too. There are a 3 that I would like to have but again they are a little too big. I need a 35mm or less case.

I would have preferred a new DAC or Marantz Reference SACD player instead as I have some really nice watches. But who's complaining!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    My wife bought me a new Longines for Christmas but I am going to return it and get another Rado. Any one of these-

Rado Ceramica R21716252 Men's Watch

Rado Integral R20787155 Men's Watch

Rado Sintra R13720202 Men's Watch

I like the Ceramica Rado's. My wife and I have matching Ceramica's. The Bands are pretty much indestructable ceramic with titanium clasps and sapphire crystals. I have a smaller wrist size and watches similar to Rolex types are too big. There are a few Raymond Weils that I like but they are too expensive.

I like Tissot watches too. There are a 3 that I would like to have but again they are a little too big. I need a 35mm or less case.

I would have preferred a new DAC or Marantz Reference SACD player instead as I have some really nice watches. But who's complaining!
    I hate to complain but I would love to see the Longines. A link to their site showing the watch would be nice. Rolex does make watches in three sizes. They have the mens, ladies, and midsized watches. Several other Swiss watch brands make watches in different sizes.

Check out the Sony XA5400ES is you would like a great SACD/cd player.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Bulova is now owned by Citizen which makes good watches. I do not think you will find the case and bracelet to the same quality as the Tissot. My Bulova/Citizen Precisionist was purchased more for technology than for the case and bracelet.
    Neither the Bulovas or the Citizens that I looked at can compare to the Tissot for quality…but the price was more appealing. It's the age old struggle of affordability versus quality.

I have fallen in love with this Hamilton on their website. Unfortunately it retails at $895. Even if I can find a good deal it will still be too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    My husband also has a small wrist. I bought him a watch for his 50th birthday. Originally I bought him a Titanium Tissot PR100, but the face was a little too large for him. After a lot of shopping around, we eventually lucked into a smaller PR200. Identical watch with a smaller face. It was a discontinued model but was perfect for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Neither the Bulovas or the Citizens that I looked at can compare to the Tissot for quality…but the price was more appealing. It's the age old struggle of affordability versus quality.

I have fallen in love with this Hamilton on their website. Unfortunately it retails at $895. Even if I can find a good deal it will still be too expensive.

My husband also has a small wrist. I bought him a watch for his 50th birthday. Originally I bought him a Titanium Tissot PR100, but the face was a little too large for him. After a lot of shopping around, we eventually lucked into a smaller PR200. Identical watch with a smaller face. It was a discontinued model but was perfect for him.

Very nice Hamilton and here is mine.

H32515555 | Hamilton Watch

I bought mine at a jewelry store for under $500. It is a very accurate watch with an ETA movement. Well made case and both Hamilton and Tissot are under the Swatch banner which has a number of fine watches. My dream watch is an Omega with the co-axial movement and Omega is also part of the Swatch family. Tissot and Hamilton are made to the same quality levels. Unless you want a watch with mechanical movement I think the Tissot is the way to go. If you bought a Hamilton quartz and a Tissot quartz watch they would both have the same quality multi jeweled ETA quartz movement.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

That's a beautiful watch John. I don't necessarilly need a mechanical movement, I just love the brown face of the Hamilton…but it's really irrelevant unless I can find it for 50% off.

JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I also have a slender wrist which definitely reduces the selection in men's watches. It's might not have any aficionado appeal but I like this Casio Wave Ceptor "atomic" for a dress watch. It might be a little too large at 46mm. It can be had for cheap at about $120.

Wow. That is stunning!

I tried on a couple of beautiful Hamilton's today but even at 25% off they turned out to be way out of my budget. I also tried on several Rue du Rhone watches. There was one that I loved but they only had the men's version. If they had the women's version I would have returned the Tissot for it. They were 50% off, so an amazing deal.

After going into two more stores today and trying on many more watches, I have decided that the one I bought is the one I'm keeping. My first instincts were correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    I also have a slender wrist which definitely reduces the selection in men's watches. It's might not have any aficionado appeal but I like this Casio Wave Ceptor "atomic" for a dress watch. It might be a little too large at 46mm. It can be had for cheap at about $120.
    That's a nice looking watch. I love the look of the brushed and shiny bands.

That's a magnificent watch no doubt, but, as with hi-fi equipment you have to wonder whether isn't some point beyond which you leave the realm of the necessary & practical.

So I would say that for an integrated amp this Burmester 032 is likely fabulous but perhaps a little over the top at $22,500 ...

My Bulova/Citizen Precisionist was purchased more for technology than for the case and bracelet.
    You know that you have no excuse to be late for anything ever again. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    You know that you have no excuse to be late for anything ever again. Ever.

Or I will know exactly to the second how late I am.
    ForeverAutumn likes this.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Atomic watches are always cool. Seiko has a new watch that sets itself to any time zone you are in using GPS. Just think the watch would be correct at home and then be correct when you disembark your plane in Paris.

Seiko USA / Collections / Astron
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Atomic watches are always cool. Seiko has a new watch that sets itself to any time zone you are in using GPS. Just think the watch would be correct at home and then be correct when you disembark your plane in Paris.

Seiko USA / Collections / Astron
    Those are impressive watches. It's interesting that they get their calibration from GPS satellites whereas the Casios get their from earth-based radio transmission.

Thats a beautiful Hamilton and Tissot. Here is the Longines that my wife bought me. It is nothing special to look at and that was what she was going for as it was to be an every day watch.

Longines Watch, Men's Swiss Automatic La Grande Classique Presence Black Leather Strap L49214782 - Longines - Jewelry & Watches - Macy's

Here are the Tissots that I like-

Tissot Couturier Men's Black Automatic Leather Strap Watch

Tissot Le Locle Men's Black PVD Automatic Classic Watch
    Last edited by blackraven; 12-29-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Thats a beautiful Hamilton and Tissot. Here is the Longines that my wife bought me. It is nothing special to look at and that was what she was going for as it was to be an every day watch...
    I really love that Hamilton with the brown face that I posted. It would be, by far, my first choice if it were half the price. But it's definately not in the budget.

The Macy's link just goes to their home page. Both of those Tissot's are beautiful. Simple, but very classy.

It's funny. I started out looking for a simple watch for everyday use. But the more I looked, the more I realized that what I really wanted was a statement watch. I have lots of everyday watches.

Plus, looking for a women's watch with a 34mm or larger face really limited my options. So many of them tended to look masculine because of the size. I like the Tissot that I ended up with because it's large but the design is very feminine.

Here is another link to the Longines. It looks like a very ordinary watch. The first link to the macy's site was the wrong model.

Longines L4.774.4.12.2 Les Grandes Flagship mens Swiss watch
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Here is another link to the Longines. It looks like a very ordinary watch. The first link to the macy's site was the wrong model.

The "Longines" name ... dunno: it reminds me of the cheap clock radios, etc., marketed under the brand, "Longines Symphonette" decades ago ...

Here is a nice watch store.

Brands carried by Tourneau | Tourneau

Oh and of course I would wear this watch.

Rolex Datejust II Watch - Rolex Timeless Luxury Watches
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

What a timeless watch. I would never tire of that style. It is too small for me but I would wear it's larger brother. I picked my Orient looking for that classic timeless style.

FER24005W ER24005W | Orient Automatic Watches & Reviews | Orient Watch USA
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The "Longines" name ... dunno: it reminds me of the cheap clock radios, etc., marketed under the brand, "Longines Symphonette" decades ago ...

Comparing that to Swiss precision and craftsmanship.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

[QUOTE=Feanor;398670]The "Longines" name ... dunno: it reminds me of the cheap clock radios, etc., marketed under the brand, "Longines Symphonette" decades ago ...

I don't care for the watch. I don't know what my wife and daughter were thinking when they picked that watch. I think my wife did not want me to have a flashy watch to wear at work, thinking that my patients may get the wrong idea. It does look a lot better in person and is of high quality. It will be going back to the store next week.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I don't care for the watch. I don't know what my wife and daughter were thinking when they picked that watch. I think my wife did not want me to have a flashy watch to wear at work, thinking that my patients may get the wrong idea. It does look a lot better in person and is of high quality. It will be going back to the store next week.
    They have good taste and might be sick of all your black dial watches. Seriously I think it would be tough to pick out a watch for someone else. I still think they done good.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information