Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Any watch fans?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I don't care for the watch. I don't know what my wife and daughter were thinking when they picked that watch. I think my wife did not want me to have a flashy watch to wear at work, thinking that my patients may get the wrong idea. It does look a lot better in person and is of high quality. It will be going back to the store next week.
    If you're returning it for another watch. Both of the Tissots that you posted earlier were beautiful. Very classy looking watches without being too flashy.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    The "Longines" name ... dunno: it reminds me of the cheap clock radios, etc., marketed under the brand, "Longines Symphonette" decades ago ...
    I don't care for the watch. I don't know what my wife and daughter were thinking when they picked that watch. I think my wife did not want me to have a flashy watch to wear at work, thinking that my patients may get the wrong idea. It does look a lot better in person and is of high quality. It will be going back to the store next week.
    Here's a nice, non-flashy watch to wear at work (here)...

... it'll save a few bucks vs. the Longines too. And it's got an easy to read dial which is no small matter if your eyes are as crappy as mine; I like the 24 hour markings too.
    Last edited by Feanor; 12-30-2013 at 01:09 PM.

... it'll save a few bucks vs. the Longines too. And it's got an easy to read dial which is no small matter if your eyes are as crappy as mine; I like the 24 hour markings too.

That watch took my breath away. Well actually it was more of a gasp.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Actually I am giving strong consideration to this Raymond Weil that I posted earlier. I found it for about $900.

RAYMOND WEIL Genève > Maestro 2838-PC5-00209 Mens Watches - Automatic small second Rose gold PVD plating on leather strap | RAYMOND WEIL Genève Luxury Watches > Swiss Luxury Watches

The Tissots are still under consideration. But the RW is just a classically beautiful watch.

I tend to like darker watches as the look better on my wrist. I also need a second hand for when I check patients pulse and heart rate.

A nice cheap, thin good looking watch for every day use are Skagens.

Men's Watches | Dress | Sport | Casual | Skagen Denmark®

I own one and it has been reliable and it looks good. They can be found for huge discounts.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Actually Timex had some automatic wind models with Chinese movements. I bought one for under $100 and it was fairly accurate. The watch had a power reserve dial, could be stem wound and could hack to set the time accurately. I wear it every once in a while.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I tend to like darker watches as the look better on my wrist. I also need a second hand for when I check patients pulse and heart rate.

A nice cheap, thin good looking watch for every day use are Skagens.

Men's Watches | Dress | Sport | Casual | Skagen Denmark®

I own one and it has been reliable and it looks good. They can be found for huge discounts.
    Those Skagen are very nice indeed. This one kinda reminds me of the Timex ...

I own a Skagen and absolutely love it. It's one of my favourite watches, but I'm starting to have trouble reading it if I'm wearing my contact lenses. I can still read it okay with my glasses on. It has the mesh style band and is very comfortable as it can be custom fit to any size…no links to remove.

My problem with Timex watches is the ticking. The two that I have are loud and drive me crazy. But I like the Indiglo feature, so I tend to wear them to movies or the theatre, you know...dark places.

I just checked the time on the Precisionist and it is still on the second. The more I check it for accuracy the more impressed I am. When I travel I take a second watch set for the new time zone. Maybe I need a second Precisionist?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

All this talk of watches made me want my own watch tool kit. I will be able to remove links, open case backs for easy battery change and replace leather straps more easily. I have an inexpensive Seiko automatic that kept good time until I flipped down a 12 foot hill on my bicycle knocking myself out. I would like to try adjusting the watch so it is not losing time. It was so inexpensive that a professional cleaning and adjustment could easily cost more than the watch.

Now that I am very happy with my system it seems watches are my new obsession.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Here are three decent quality watches that I've worn over the yearsl. I worn lots of cheap Timex, Casio, etc., too of course. These stand out for me in one way or another.

Left to right:

• Mido, Swiss-made mechanical manual wind. This watch was worn by my father as a officer in the Canadian Army in WWII; I wore it for a few myself after his death, as I recall when I was in university.
    • Bulova, original battery-powered "tuning fork" Accutron, (not quartz regulated like later versions). I bought this in the early '70's. It's the best looking watch I've own as I see it. It was accurate to couple of minutes a month. It became unreliable in the late '70s; a couple of repairs couldn't keep it running accurately.
    • Seiko, quartz, I bought this in around 1990 and it still works well as far as I know but I haven't had a battery in it for 4-5 years. It was accurate to about 15 seconds a month.

They are all small watches which is best on my slender wrist. The Bulova is the largest at about 38mm top to bottom of the case. All of them originally had leather bands; all were replaced by stretchy-type bracelets: Fixo-flex on the Mido, and Speidel on the Bulova and Seiko.

Any watch fans?-watches_mido-bulova-seiko.jpg

Of the three, I like the look of the Mido best. But mostly I love that it was your father's. What a beautiful momento to have…especially since it sounds like you were pretty young when you lost him.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Of the three, I like the look of the Mido best. But mostly I love that it was your father's. What a beautiful momento to have…especially since it sounds like you were pretty young when you lost him.
    Yes, my father passed away at age 41 when I was 12 y/o.

Here is a video of an Orient Watch being assembled.

Orient Watches, The Making Of - YouTube

Here is one of the best Swiss watches.

Patek Philippe - Birth of a Legend - YouTube
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The videos show two price extremes in mechanical watch making. Orient, Seiko and Citizen are all watch manufactures as are Rolex and Patek Phillipe and other top line Swiss watchmakers. My Krieger and Hamilton like most watch brands are not manufactures. They purchase movements from one company, cases from another and whatever else they need to produce a watch. To be considered a watch manufacture you must make movements in house.

Looking forward to going back to work at the end of January. I have too much time on my hands.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    I am not into jewelry, except for my wedding band, but I do like an attractive watch. Right now I have a modestly priced Guess watch for everyday wear, and a Joe Rodeo diamond watch I treated myself to a few years ago, and wear occasionally. The JR has genuine diamonds on the bezel and band, and swiss movement.

Any watch fans?-img_0106_zps849c88a0-vert.jpg

Very nice watches. Back in the mid 1980's I could have bought a stolen Gold Rolex with Diamonds for $20. I was at a car wash and a drug abuser comes up to me with this watch and he tried to sell it to me. It was a beautiful watch and probably sold for well over $10K.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Nice watches Glen.

I need help. I'm confused. I don't know whether to keep the silver and gold watch that I bought, or exchange it for the silver version. I keep going back and forth. Any opinions?

Name:  image33.png
Views: 322
Size:  52.0 KBName:  image33.png
Views: 386
Size:  55.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Nice watches Glen.

I need help. I'm confused. I don't know whether to keep the silver and gold watch that I bought, or exchange it for the silver version. I keep going back and forth. Any opinions?

Name:  image33.png
Views: 322
Size:  52.0 KBName:  image33.png
Views: 386
Size:  55.6 KB

One must ask oneself if more silver or gold jewelry is worn. If gold the two tone if silver the all silver. If a combination the two tone please.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

DAMN all you people anyway! I blame you all for stirring up my reckless desires that ought to remain latent.

I really want his Skagen 809XLTRB but it would be a profligate expenditure especially just after Christmas expenses (and a Pass Labs X150.5).

DAMN all you people anyway! I blame you all for stirring up my reckless desires that ought to remain latent.

I really want his Skagen 809XLTRB but it would be a profligate expenditure especially just after Christmas expenses (and a Pass Labs X150.5).

Oh heck you deserve it. Now that I am so happy with the sound of my system watches became my next obsession.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Speaking of watches my watch tool kit came today. It is primarily for changing links in bracelets, replacing leather straps and opening case backs to replace batteries in my quartz watches. I wanted to change a link from one side to the other on my Bulova Precisionist. The salesperson at the jewelry store where I took it removed links out of one side so the deployment clasp is not where it should be. This causes the watch to ride up on my wrist. I placed the bracelet in the pin removal tool and as I began to turn it to remove the pin the piece of **** broke. I already have my return authorization number and it goes back tomorrow. Thanks Amazon.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Hello! I'm a big fan of watches. Ever since I was a teenager, I fell in love with watches and began collecting them. My grandfather had a large collection and he gave it to me. Some of the watches presented to me are now rarities. I didn’t sell them, but kept them in memory of my grandfather.
    Now I regularly buy watches for myself, if I have achieved some cherished goal, or if I have a holiday. By the way, look at this site if you want to know where I buy my watch.
    I prefer luxurious watches more than practical ones, because for me a watch is primarily an indicator of status and what you have achieved in your life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information