Question Auto Insurance Question

I'm looking to change my auto and home insurance. Allstate has been ripping me off and raised my rates almost double with no cause. I've checked rates with Gieco and Liberty Mutual and they are competitive. Does any one have any experience with them or have any other recommendations? I have read that Gieco tends to low ball you the first 6 months and then raise the rates, any truth to this?

Thanks,

Larry, gearing up for the big freeze that's coming in a few months!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have both my auto and renters insurance through State Farm. Since I have both home and auto I receive multi-line discounts. Oh and I have never hit a school bus full of children or nuns. When my roommate was here he received good discounts since three accounts with State Farm. Shop around and see what you can find but but between low deductibles and low prices I like State Farm.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thanks JM, I've got 4 cars and a 19yo son and a 22yo daughter that I have to insure. With a 1K deductable rates are running about $3,500 a year with 250k/500K coverage. Allstate jacked my rate up to $7K a year because of 1 $880 claim when a lying SOB off duty police officer backed into my parked new car last year. I have had only 1 speeding ticket in 5yrs and the rest of my family is clean.

State Farm is next on my list to call!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I use Liberty Mutual and have been happy with them for a long time. My daughter, 24, recently found a better price with and switched to State Farm. I need to shop myself, to make sure I'm still getting a good price, LM was best at the time but things change. I checked with Geico way back to find they were expensive and rude.

Your state should have a place to call to check insurance company ratings. Not BBB, this agency says whether they are A, AA or B etc. Progressive did have not so good ratings at either.

JSE
    I am with Amica. Small very stable company that it rated right up there with the big boys. State Farm is always rated at the top but their rates are often at the top as well. Good service but you pay a premium for having a personal agent. Depending on the agent, he/she may or may not be very personal.

Allstate is having a hard time financially and losing a lot of customers. You can see why! Farmers has horrible customer service and their rates are not that great either. Geico is an up and coming compnay getting ready to take Allstate's #2 position behind State Farm. But, they are Auto only and refer you out for Home. That may be were you see a rate hike after a a year or so. With the company they refer you to for Home? You don't get an many discounts w/ Geico.

If you have a military past, go with USAA. Outstanding company w/ great service.

I just switched all my insurance to Amica and it went smooth as can be and I am saving about $3K for all my insuance needs like Home, Auto, Life, Personal Umbrealla, Personal Articles, etc.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    You may want to check out the latest JD Powers ratings. SF, Allatate and Progressive all rate pretty low there or have had major drops in their results. Of the larger carriers out there Geico ranks near the top. I have had them for several years and have no problems with price or service.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I have allstate for my kids and myself, and I found their rates were the lowest I could find. I have never seen a rate increase, as a matter of fact I have had two discounts in the last two years. I go shopping every year, and every year I do I tell my allstate agent that I am. He always gives me the best price he can, and it happen to undercut the competition.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Thanks guys. Gieco gave me the lowest rates, $3k per year for 4 cars with 250K/500K coverage and $1k decuctable. Progressive was $600 more and Liberty Mutual was $900 more but their policy was guarenteed for 1yr where the others were for 6 months.
    Alllstate reviewed my policy and they were $1600 more than Gieco.

I'm going to check Amica and State Farm as well as Esurance.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I have not heard of Amica. If Geico has a good rating and giving out low quotes I'll have to shop them again, and put Amica on the list.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I have Liberty Mutual. Its payroll deducted through my wife job, so that's a discount. We have our home, cars, and boat insured through them as well, so that's another discount. Full comprehensive on all. I fergit the actual total, since we never see a bill. They've done good by us so far. I hear nothing good about Geico. They do have cool commercials though.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

I checked out Amica. They are rated tops by JD Power and they have good auto and great home insurance prices. Erie is second best, but they don't insure in MN. They are mainly in the north east. I may go with Geico for auto and Amica for home and boat. The thing that I have found out about Amica is that they don't hassle you about claims and that their prices are for year terms and not 6 months so that they can't raise your premiums every 6 months like some companies do.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I checked out Amica. They are rated tops by JD Power and they have good auto and great home insurance prices. Erie is second best, but they don't insure in MN. They are mainly in the north east. I may go with Geico for auto and Amica for home and boat. The thing that I have found out about Amica is that they don't hassle you about claims and that their prices are for year terms and not 6 months so that they can't raise your premiums every 6 months like some companies do.

You also get devidends and 1 year full payment discounts with Amica. This combines for another few hundred dollars savings on my bill. We pay 1 year in full to get the discount and will likely get a nice little dividend at the end of the year.

Thread Information