Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wtf?

Wtf?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE

ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT

a few others have come and gone... what are these for...you know what, never mind

here's an acronym for you guys

BFD

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I don't know what the motivation of others is, but I was asked (along with everyone else) at the last M.P.S.E meeting to start displaying our certifications when we post things online. If you go to Blu ray.com, you will find quite a few insiders that are now posting their certifications, and some that have done it all along. I have always had this on Blu ray.com, and Hometheater forum when I have posted there, and I used to have it here but it got removed with the last site update. I never bothered putting it up till now.

PSky's did it to mock me, and I don't know what SteveW motivation is, but you can ask him.

I never thought this was all that important in the grand scheme of things, but apparently the M.P.S.E committee wants its members recognized for their achievement within the film community. I never knew I did all that much, but my boss recommended me to the committee without me even knowing it, and my some members of my staff backed up his recommendation. I went before the committee, they evaluated my work, and they gave me the certification. Jeeze, I just recording film scores, record audio, and mix sound tracks and audio, I did know that was a big deal.

M.P.S.E= Motion Picture Sound Editors, AES=Audio Engineering Society, and SMPTE= Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE

ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT

a few others have come and gone... what are these for...you know what, never mind

here's an acronym for you guys

BFD

Let us not forget the ever popular OU812.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Initials that are earned and relate to our field of interest should be displayed. Making up initials or mocking others is of no benefit.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT Dual-500's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Initials that are earned and relate to our field of interest should be displayed. Making up initials or mocking others is of no benefit.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I don't know what the motivation of others is, but I was asked (along with everyone else) at the last M.P.S.E meeting to start displaying our certifications when we post things online. If you go to Blu ray.com, you will find quite a few insiders that are now posting their certifications, and some that have done it all along. I have always had this on Blu ray.com, and Hometheater forum when I have posted there, and I used to have it here but it got removed with the last site update. I never bothered putting it up till now.

PSky's did it to mock me, and I don't know what SteveW motivation is, but you can ask him.

I never thought this was all that important in the grand scheme of things, but apparently the M.P.S.E committee wants its members recognized for their achievement within the film community. I never knew I did all that much, but my boss recommended me to the committee without me even knowing it, and my some members of my staff backed up his recommendation. I went before the committee, they evaluated my work, and they gave me the certification. Jeeze, I just recording film scores, record audio, and mix sound tracks and audio, I did know that was a big deal.

M.P.S.E= Motion Picture Sound Editors, AES=Audio Engineering Society, and SMPTE= Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers.

I am going to give all of those organizations a call on Monday and ask them if this is the type of behavior they expect from their members on discussion boards.

Also, it would be great if you could actually show your credentials here to prove that you are in fact part of this instead of us all assuming that you are just because you put them under your name. Anyone could put those letters there, as I proved. If I have to remove them then you should have to prove that you are who you say you are in order to keep them up.

I'll let you know what I find out from my phone calls.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I am going to give all of those organizations a call on Monday and ask them if this is the type of behavior they expect from their members on discussion boards.

Also, it would be great if you could actually show your credentials here to prove that you are in fact part of this instead of us all assuming that you are just because you put them under your name. Anyone could put those letters there, as I proved. If I have to remove them then you should have to prove that you are who you say you are in order to keep them up.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I don't think anyone would claim membership in these organizations who wasn't one. If you got caught doing that it would certainly put you in some real hot water.

OTOH; I'm not sure that they would really have much to say about their members views/actions when not working. I mean this is America. If you want to be a SOB on your own time who's to stop you?

Did someone ask you to remove your letters? They seemed harmless to me. I didn't see a problem with them.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Do you really have that much free time on your hands? Seriously, what business is it of yours?

I think that the difference is that everyone knew you were lying.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Do you really have that much free time on your hands? Seriously, what business is it of yours?

I think that the difference is that everyone knew you were lying.

I am making it my business. If someone wants to claim membership to an organization such as these, that is fine. I just find it hard to believe someone would want to represent them so poorly, so I am curious to what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I don't think anyone would claim membership in these organizations who wasn't one. If you got caught doing that it would certainly put you in some real hot water.

OTOH; I'm not sure that they would really have much to say about their members views/actions when not working. I mean this is America. If you want to be a SOB on your own time who's to stop you?

Did someone ask you to remove your letters? They seemed harmless to me. I didn't see a problem with them.

Are you forgetting that you were the one who PM'd me asking me to remove the letters? You said that the "powers that be" want to get rid of me and would do so if I didn't remove them. So I did in order to keep the peace. I still think it's a bit ridiculous though since no one really knows for certain whether or not I am a part of any of those organizations or not. No one really knows if Sir T. is or not, they are just assuming so since he posted that. I think it shows poor taste on the site that we force one person to remove them because they can't "prove" that they are a member, but allow another member to keep them despite not proving anything.

For the reputation of both the site and the organizations represented I think it's only fair that anyone certified in a certain field and willing to post those credentials should at least have to post their credentials in some way in order to prevent any fraud.

Are you forgetting that you were the one who PM'd me asking me to remove the letters? You said that the "powers that be" want to get rid of me and would do so if I didn't remove them. So I did in order to keep the peace.
    No, I asked you to remove the letter saying that you were part of an organization you didn't belong to. You know that claiming membership to an organization you don't belong to was a wrong thing to do. The silly letters you added after that didn't bother me in the slightest, even it it did tweak some more sensitive members.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

No, I asked you to remove the letter saying that you were part of an organization you didn't belong to. You know that claiming membership to an organization you don't belong to was a wrong thing to do. The silly letters you added after that didn't bother me in the slightest, even it it did tweak some more sensitive members.
    Ahh, sorry we were talking about different things.

For the reputation of both the site and the organizations represented I think it's only fair that anyone certified in a certain field and willing to post those credentials should at least have to post their credentials in some way in order to prevent any fraud.
    I suppose he could be faking it, but with his extensive knowledge of the industry it would be very hard to do. That doesn't mean I agree with him on anything, just that pulling such a farce would entail quite a bit of effort. It might actually be easier to actually get your real certification! Not to mention the ramifications if you got caught. His career posting here would be over, along with possible legal ramifications. I just don't think it would be worth it, and frankly I don't think he's smart enough to have pulled it off for so long. No, I believe him even if you don't, but there nothing stopping you from calling him out.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Suspended
    C'mon, give Sir T a break. The story how he got his certification really touched my heart, in a Norman Rockwell kind a way. Or, was it a Norman Bates..... any way it was sweet.

Where do you go to change that line under your name? Don't worry about me putting my credintials if you all knew what I did, you'd have to disappear, and then who would i annoy.

I suppose he could be faking it, but with his extensive knowledge of the industry it would be very hard to do. That doesn't mean I agree with him on anything, just that pulling such a farce would entail quite a bit of effort. It might actually be easier to actually get your real certification! Not to mention the ramifications if you got caught. His career posting here would be over, along with possible legal ramifications. I just don't think it would be worth it, and frankly I don't think he's smart enough to have pulled it off for so long. No, I believe him even if you don't, but there nothing stopping you from calling him out.
    It's not so much that I don't believe he is a member, it's that I think he is a poor representation of those organizations. Not that this has always been or always is the case. In fact there are many times as Mr. P pointed out where he brings a great wealth of knowledge to this site and we appreciate that aspect. We should be honored to have someone with inside information around here, but it's all about the delivery that counts. I, along with many others, are tired of the bullying attitude that he brings with that knowledge and Mr. P did something about it and wanted to at least see what would happen if asked to choose: Can you bring your knowledge here and contribute to this site in sincere ways without acting a foo or do we only get one without the other? Seems from his initial responses that we get more fool and less educated sound tech.

One would hope that someone with such vast knowledge and education would not feel the need to flex the muscle of their achievements, since their contributions here should speak volumes about their character and success.

It gets really annoying that just about-single-thread that Sir T becomes affiliated with turns into a quote-for-quote 4,000 page ongoing battle that never goes anywhere and turns into a pissing match for the ages. Since the Mods have done very little to control this behavior, it feel upon various members to finally speak their minds collectively, this is that attempt.

I am making it my business. If someone wants to claim membership to an organization such as these, that is fine. I just find it hard to believe someone would want to represent them so poorly, so I am curious to what they say.
    I suppose that's your right. Frankly, I think that it just makes you look like a petty, meddling troll with an axe to grind. But...whatever.

I suppose that's your right. Frankly, I think that it just makes you look like a petty, meddling troll with an axe to grind. But...whatever.
    You are certainly entitled to whatever opinion you would like as well, just as you made it your business to ask what business it was of mine. Interesting how people come out of the woodwork when there is controversy around here, otherwise the tumbleweed soars around the dull plains of AR.

It's not so much that I don't believe he is a member, it's that I think he is a poor representation of those organizations. Not that this has always been or always is the case. In fact there are many times as Mr. P pointed out where he brings a great wealth of knowledge to this site and we appreciate that aspect. We should be honored to have someone with inside information around here, but it's all about the delivery that counts. I, along with many others, are tired of the bullying attitude that he brings with that knowledge and Mr. P did something about it and wanted to at least see what would happen if asked to choose: Can you bring your knowledge here and contribute to this site in sincere ways without acting a foo or do we only get one without the other? Seems from his initial responses that we get more fool and less educated sound tech.

One would hope that someone with such vast knowledge and education would not feel the need to flex the muscle of their achievements, since their contributions here should speak volumes about their character and success.

It gets really annoying that just about-single-thread that Sir T becomes affiliated with turns into a quote-for-quote 4,000 page ongoing battle that never goes anywhere and turns into a pissing match for the ages. Since the Mods have done very little to control this behavior, it feel upon various members to finally speak their minds collectively, this is that attempt.
    You make some points, but these organizations are not designed to police their members in anything else but the industry. While we talk audio here, this basically a social forum.

Your complaints about mods being too lenient are noted. Remember though that we're all not the same and none of us are paid. We do this for "fun", just as you should be here for your own enjoyment. I for one would not like a forum where the mods AREN'T lenient. If things have to be battened down hard here I feel it would be much less "fun", at least for my tastes.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

You make some points, but these organizations are not designed to police their members in anything else but the industry. While we talk audio here, this basically a social forum.

Your complaints about mods being too lenient are noted. Remember though that we're all not the same and none of us are paid. We do this for "fun", just as you should be here for your own enjoyment. I for one would not like a forum where the mods AREN'T lenient. If things have to be battened down hard here I feel it would be much less "fun", at least for my tastes.
    It is certainly a slippery slope and we certainly appreciate the efforts of many of the mods around here, it's definitely not an easy job and being unpaid makes it even more of a challenge.

Keep in mind what Sir T. said elsewhere around here about being encouraged by his boss and the organizations to represent themselves in forums online, so therefore while this is a social network and place to have fun, he is still coming from a professional organization and therefore his credentials should be legit and he should adhere to the organizations standards of behavior.

You are certainly entitled to whatever opinion you would like as well, just as you made it your business to ask what business it was of mine. Interesting how people come out of the woodwork when there is controversy around here, otherwise the tumbleweed soars around the dull plains of AR.
    If I thought you were sincere about caring about the integrity of these organizations then I could agree with you and I never would have entered this conversation. But you don't care about them, you proved that when you fraudulently placed the designations under your own name without having earned them. Now you claim to care about how these organizations are being represented. But it's all a smoke screen to try and discredit Sir T with organizations that he has worked hard to be a part of.

It's bitter and it's petty and it reeks of sour grapes. Just my own opinion, of course.

It's bitter and it's petty and it reeks of sour grapes. Just my own opinion, of course.
    HA, I just spilled Cabernet on myself after reading this line!, so I guess I "reek of sour grapes" too!!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

It is certainly a slippery slope and we certainly appreciate the efforts of many of the mods around here, it's definitely not an easy job and being unpaid makes it even more of a challenge.
    it's amusing to see how you instantly change your opinion when a mod says something about something you said...

just like a small kid trying to argue with his mom.

Keep in mind what Sir T. said elsewhere around here about being encouraged by his boss and the organizations to represent themselves in forums online, so therefore while this is a social network and place to have fun, he is still coming from a professional organization and therefore his credentials should be legit and he should adhere to the organizations standards of behavior.

his credentials are legit. and how would you "adhere to the organizations standards of behavior" if some troll constantly tries to argue with you that he definitely knows better, and tries to discredit his/hers name here for being "fake" or non legit?

right, you'd flame him.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    it's amusing to see how you instantly change your opinion when a mod says something about something you said...

just like a small kid trying to argue with his mom.

his credentials are legit. and how would you "adhere to the organizations standards of behavior" if some troll constantly tries to argue with you that he definitely knows better, and tries to discredit his/hers name here for being "fake" or non legit?

right, you'd flame him.
    I appreciate what Geoffcin does to moderate, some of the others ...not so much...and they know who they are. Especially the ones that break into my personal information, change my avatar, change my signature.

You act like I am the only person who has ever had a problem with him? Ha....there are dozens around here that have gone round after round.

What is most amazing is that everyone around here complains about flame wars, old thread revivals, trolls, etc.... YET....

They all can't keep their mouths shut when the battles begin. They contribute a few posts here and there any other time, but cry for more blood to be spilled when the battle rages on, then cry about the fact that there is no peace around here. Make up your minds!

Please let's try to stay civilized. You can have an honest and legitimate beef with someone and not be a troll.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information