Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380

    Another shot in the back

    Today I am getting another epidural for a herniated disk and pinched / inflamed sciatic nerve issue that I have been dealing with for over a year.

    I can't pinpoint what happened or when. I worked 25 years in machine shops doing heavy manual labor. I did plenty of stupid things as a child that as a kid you would never even think about what it may contribute to down the road. I also had 2 motorcycle accidents that I am sure didn't help either.

    More recently, over the last 2 years, I would have to say that moving heavy amps around definitely was a factor. So as much fun as this hobby can be detrimental to your health if your not careful.

  2. #2
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Sorry to hear that! I hope the shot helps you feel better.

    Back pain sucks. I once threw my back out so badly that we had to call a medical housecall service because I was in so much pain that I was basically paralized from the lower back down. And what did I do to cause that much pain, you might ask? I was mopping the floor. I guess I just made a wrong move and before I knew it I was crawling on the floor because I was in too much pain to stand. I almost passed out from the pain while the doctor was examining me. I wouldn't wish back pain on my worst enemy (well, I can think of one person I'd wish it on, but no one else).

  3. #3
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    928
    My wife had a herniated disc. According to the doctor, cracks in the disc allowed surrounding tissue to invade the spinal column suppressing the sciatic nerve. It caused shooting pains an numbness down her left leg.

    She only suffered with the pain for about 4 weeks. The tissue invaded about 70% of the spinal column within the disc, prompting surgery. He said normally they would try other means to reduce the swelling, but in her case there was no question surgery was required.

    The surgery involved a small incision between L4 and L5 where the doctor would go in and trim away the excess tissue. It was out-patient, but because we lived 80mi from the hospital we opted for overnight observation. We play serious racquetball and after about 6 months recoup time she was back on the courts. She didn't rush it. It took about another month before she was back to playing normally.

    I was amazed how quickly she recouped for a 48 year old woman. It was two years ago and she's still going strong. Not often you hear a good story when it comes to back surgery.

  4. #4
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Today I am getting another epidural for a herniated disk and pinched / inflamed sciatic nerve issue that I have been dealing with for over a year.

    I can't pinpoint what happened or when. I worked 25 years in machine shops doing heavy manual labor. I did plenty of stupid things as a child that as a kid you would never even think about what it may contribute to down the road. I also had 2 motorcycle accidents that I am sure didn't help either.

    More recently, over the last 2 years, I would have to say that moving heavy amps around definitely was a factor. So as much fun as this hobby can be detrimental to your health if your not careful.
    Sounds miserable. I hope you get some relief, Hyfi.

  5. #5
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    bfalls, glad things went great for your wife. Although I have 3 slightly herniated disks, my issue is at L5-S1. The disk is bulged to the right and front and is pinching off the nerve. I never had just belt line pain, I always had the charlie horse in the right hamstring.

    I had 2 shots in the spring, under anesthesia and fluoroscopy. They concentrated on the disk area. Things felt better and I went through the therapy to get my core in shape and that went well. Then out of nowhere, the butt started to charlie horse, then the ham, then the calf and by a month ago half of my right foot was numb.

    This time, they did the shot a little different. She angled it down and directly into the nerve channel in hopes that the disk is not the issue, but just chronically inflamed nerves.

    Now, they started doing this under anesthesia a couple years ago claiming it was better for the patient. I'm more than certain it's more about making money. Not knowing what to expect, I chose to go under the first time around. They failed to use a little lydacain in the IV before the propophyl and the pain in my hand and arm was worse than my back until I went out. When I woke up, it was all I could remember and it still hurt.

    The second shot, I also went under but insisted they put the Lydacain in first which went better but the stupid nurse put the IV through my vain and filled up my hand on the first try so again, they caused more pain than I was in. It took a month for the pain and bruise to go away.

    This time I chose not to have the anesthesia and man was that the right decision. The two sticks of Novocain and the actual injection was less discomfort than just getting the IV into your hand. I also joked with all the people in the OR that after seeing the pics on the internet of my butt, I was not getting knocked out again. They were roaring.

    Anyway, shot 2 is the 19th but I hope to start feeling better sooner and be less of an Oscar to everybody. I have had both my shoulders fixed, my Ulnar nerve moved in my arm, and a few other surgeries and none of the pain was as bad as my leg aching over the past month. To the point of killing yourself or someone else at any moment.

    FA, I know what you mean. Similar happened to me when I was younger. Who knows, maybe the start of where I am now. I hope you gave up mopping, or were you really just practicing for the Curling Olympics? Brush Brush Brush

    Thanks for the good thoughts. Off to lay on the ice pack for a while.

  6. #6
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Sounds miserable. I hope you get some relief, Hyfi.
    Thanks Bill

  7. #7
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    FA, I know what you mean. Similar happened to me when I was younger. Who knows, maybe the start of where I am now. I hope you gave up mopping, or were you really just practicing for the Curling Olympics? Brush Brush Brush
    LOL! I wish I could give up mopping...and vacuuming for that matter. Unfortunately, the floors still need to be cleaned. I am much more conscious of my body position, however, now. And I use my arms, not my back, to push any broom, mop, or vacuum.

    I will say that my back was never the same after that. I've thrown it a few times since then...never as badly thankfully. So maybe that earlier injury was the beginning of what you're going through now...who knows. In any case, I hope the shot works quickly and that you're feeling better very soon.

  8. #8
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    LOL! I am much more conscious of my body position, however, now. I will say that my back was never the same after that. .
    Huh?

    Uhm well... Good luck with both of yer backs.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  9. #9
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    928
    A funny story now, but not at the time. My wife threw her back out once putting on her bra. No, she's not overly endowed. She had just put it on and was bending over slightly to do that little "jiggle" thing women do to get everything aligned and wham!, back spasm.

    I didn't dare laugh. I doubt she would have appreciated the humor. If she had, her laughing would have made things worse.

  10. #10
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Day 1 - some relief. My foot is still numb but the charlie horse is less but the day is still young. It takes up to 48 hours to kick in and 10 days to peak.

  11. #11
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    LOL! I wish I could give up mopping...and vacuuming for that matter. Unfortunately, the floors still need to be cleaned. I am much more conscious of my body position, however, now. And I use my arms, not my back, to push any broom, mop, or vacuum.

    I will say that my back was never the same after that. I've thrown it a few times since then...never as badly thankfully. So maybe that earlier injury was the beginning of what you're going through now...who knows. In any case, I hope the shot works quickly and that you're feeling better very soon.
    FA, I love to vacuum but I really hate mopping and do not have time for either. So I purchased several Roomba's to do the work for me, and they do a pretty darn good job. These things are not really practical for large houses like my Orlando and Los Angeles places, but for my place in San Leandro(which is only 1800sq ft, they are perfect. One Roomba mops the hard floors, the others do the carpeted areas. The whole thing works out great.

    Hyfi, I feel so bad for you man. My brother has been out of work for three years because of back pain, and no matter what he tries to do work wise, he is always in pain. He is really struggling right now, and I try and help as much as I can financially until he can ride this thing out.

    I hope you have a speedy recovery. This cannot be comfortable for you.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  12. #12
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible

    Hyfi, I feel so bad for you man. My brother has been out of work for three years because of back pain, and no matter what he tries to do work wise, he is always in pain. He is really struggling right now, and I try and help as much as I can financially until he can ride this thing out.

    I hope you have a speedy recovery. This cannot be comfortable for you.
    Has your brother already been through the shots? What is the diagnosis and MRI results?

    I think they got it right this time by aiming the shot into the nerve channel and not at the disk itself. Halfway through the day and not getting any worse so I may be a happy camper again in a few weeks.

    Thanks for the thoughts!

  13. #13
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    FA, I love to vacuum but I really hate mopping and do not have time for either. So I purchased several Roomba's to do the work for me, and they do a pretty darn good job. These things are not really practical for large houses like my Orlando and Los Angeles places, but for my place in San Leandro(which is only 1800sq ft, they are perfect. One Roomba mops the hard floors, the others do the carpeted areas. The whole thing works out great.
    I really should look into those Roomba thingy's. I have asthma, so when we got the two cats (which I really shouldn't be living with) I invested in a very expensive Sebo vacuum with three hepa filters built into it. It really is fantastic! But a Roomba to roam around in-between vacuums is a good idea. Like you, I don't have a lot of time for housework, so we often go much longer than we should without vacuuming, which really isn't healthy for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    A funny story now, but not at the time. My wife threw her back out once putting on her bra. No, she's not overly endowed. She had just put it on and was bending over slightly to do that little "jiggle" thing women do to get everything aligned and wham!, back spasm.
    Ouch! Does she think it's funny now?

  14. #14
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    So, the second series of shots wore of in less than 6 weeks again. I just got back from seeing a back surgeon and I am going to get it fixed on March 3rd. Going to miss 2 weeks of work but hopefully will still be able to take the planned road trip to the Finger Lakes in May for my 25th anniversary.

    Oh well, I tried the conservative route but it appears I just wasted 3 months again.

  15. #15
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    So, the second series of shots wore of in less than 6 weeks again. I just got back from seeing a back surgeon and I am going to get it fixed on March 3rd. Going to miss 2 weeks of work but hopefully will still be able to take the planned road trip to the Finger Lakes in May for my 25th anniversary.

    Oh well, I tried the conservative route but it appears I just wasted 3 months again.
    Good luck with it, Hyfi. I think is almost always wise to try the simple possible fix before the complicated one -- this is especially true when the latter involves surgery.

  16. #16
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Good luck with it, Hyfi. I think is almost always wise to try the simple possible fix before the complicated one -- this is especially true when the latter involves surgery.
    Thanks, Bill.

  17. #17
    Sgt. At Arms Worf101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Troy, New York
    Posts
    4,288

    Jeeze Louise...

    Sorry to hear about your problems man... If I lived nearer to you I'd bring you some lettuce and a taste to help you "ease da pain". I don't pray much but I'll be pulling for ya.

    Worf

  18. #18
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Sorry to hear about your problems man... If I lived nearer to you I'd bring you some lettuce and a taste to help you "ease da pain". I don't pray much but I'll be pulling for ya.

    Worf
    I never used lettuce to twist one up but I guess it's healthier than Blunts. Thanks for the thought.

  19. #19
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Home Of The Fighting Gamecocks
    Posts
    1,701
    I can relate to sciaticous. One thing that helped my sciatic nerve was getting a front pocket billfold.

    Take heed young men, sitting on one's wallet for years can be a life long pain in the arse.

  20. #20
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    I can relate to sciaticous. One thing that helped my sciatic nerve was getting a front pocket billfold.

    Take heed young men, sitting on one's wallet for years can be a life long pain in the arse.
    I have carried my wallet in my front pocket for 20 years,

  21. #21
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VB VA
    Posts
    2,307
    H

    Hope you get to feeling better real soon.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

  22. #22
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Hyfi - as someone who's herniated a disc and had back problems, I feel your pain. Literally. Not fun. For me, exercise, specifically weights, is the best thing to keep it from flaring up again. When I miss a week or two sure enough I pay for it. Though once a year or so I seem to aggravate things you wouldn't think could hurt a back - shaving, answering a phone, etc.

    Best advice I got that I didn't listen to was to not try to over compensate the way you move naturally to do things (of course, follow proper form when lifting though).

    Speedy recovery to ya!

  23. #23
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Well tomorrow is the day. Surgery is scheduled for 11:30am, already pushed back from 10. I hope to be back a new man and a lot less angry and irritable

    I'll be out of work for 2 weeks and no normal routine for 6 weeks.

    See ya on the other side.

  24. #24
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Good luck Hyfi. Let us know how it went, as soon as you can. I'll be thinking (and worrying) about you.

  25. #25
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    I hope they fix you up good HF.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •